Laptops forum

General discussion

I need help buy a laptop. Please give me some help

by N212 / August 21, 2007 1:04 AM PDT

Hi,

I want to buy a laptop in a couple of weeks.I would like to spend no more than 1,500 but I could go as high as 2,000.If I can get it cheaper than 1,500 that would be great also.

Even though I want to buy a gaming laptop I am not sure if I need one. I play games like flight simulator, the sims, age of empire. I use my pc for photos, music, programming, documents, etc. I want a laptop with at least a 17 inch screen, at least a 100 gig hard drive, a DVD rw drive and a video card that is not intergrated. (I read that intergrated cards don't give the best graphics.) I also want at least 2 gigs of ram and a wireless card.But I would settle for 1.I don't like Compaq and Sony, I had bad experiences with them.

I also wanted to know if a 8600 mgt card produces graphics equal to a 7900 gt card?
Things like a webcam and Dvi,Hdmi would be great since I am paying quite a bit for it.

I know I will probably have to use one of the online manufacturers to get what I want. So,please suggest models and manufacturers.

I want windows XP but not a lot of manufacturers are loading it on their pcs.

Thank You for the help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need help buy a laptop. Please give me some help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need help buy a laptop. Please give me some help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For that price and specs...
by tleMega / August 21, 2007 2:50 AM PDT

you could buy a 17 inch HP Pavillion. Here's a link to the HP Entertainment page:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/series_can.do;HHOJSID=7SF1GLTQbWvzVG3TRH2BGyfJYHqRGTGV3rXyL0nNYNhvvzy41nLt!1178113513?storeName=computer_store&landing=notebooks&a1=Usage&v1=Entertainment

They have other laptops like the HDX, but the HDX is not what you call a mobile companion, and the other laptops are for more basic usage.

For what you're looking for, I'd recommend the HP dv9500t series. It's a 17 inch screen, has an Intel processor, and can be upgraded to all or most of your requirements. HP offers a cheaper, AMD solution, but I'm going with the Intel one for best performance. Plus AMD laptop processors aren't too great in my experience, and it looks like that HP should revamp their AMD product pages.

The base price on this HP Pavillion is $1049.99. This is with:

Vista Home Premium
Processor: 1.66Ghz Core 2 Duo processor with a 2MB L2 cache and a 667Mhz FSB

Screen: A High-Def HP LCD with Brightview (can be upgraded to more pixels and quality, etc.)

RAM: Comes with 1GB of RAM (but can be upgraded cheaply)

Graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 (can also be upgraded, doesn't say if it's integrated under info)

Personalization: comes with the HP finish, a webcam, and a microphone (but you can add a fingerprint reader for security or remove what you don't need)

Wireless: Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection (can be upgraded and Bluetooth can be added)

Hard Drive: standard 160GB drive @5400 rpm, so it works for you (can be upgraded to 400GB for videos, photos, music, etc.)

Drive: comes with a 8x Super Drive (can be upgraded to lightscribe or HD DVD)

Battery: standard, 8 cell battery (can be upgraded)

Software: comes with Microsoft Works 8.0, but can be upgraded accordingly and other productivity/security software may be added.

Accesories and Warranty are not all included, but can be added to your configuration.

Here's the link to the customization page: http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/cto/computer_customize_components.do#GRAPHICS_CARD

Note: The page does not load correctly for me, but it still loads.

My recommended configuration for great performance includes:
Vista Ultimate
2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo processor
The upgraded 1680x1050 screen
2GB RAM
383MB NVIDIA GeForce card
finger print scanner, microphone, finish, webcam
Wi-Fi with Bluetooth
2x160GB Hard drives for 320GB
Standard optical drive
High capacity 8 cell battery
MS Office Student Home Edition, comes in handy
And the 3 year accidental damage protection with pickup and return

This configuration will perform for gaming and multimedia functions. However, it costs $2311.98, which may be a bit above your budget. Thing is, most quality laptops like this one cost much more, and this one is tricked out just for you, so you may want to go ahead and get this one. It will last a long time.

Now here's the catch. XP isn't availabe on this system, but if wanted to, you could partition a drive and install it for both systems, or call in and ask about it.

The graphics card is probably not integrated, but the site does not exactly say.
I choose recommend the 8400 graphics card, but you could bump it up to the 8600 for more money. But who needs a 511MB card? 311MB is great for most people.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now if you don't like this one, I don't know what to tell you. I have used HP's for years, and my config. is great for your needs. You could buy the 17 inch MacBook Pro, which can do all of your stuff too, but it's more expensive and much more powerful. Plus, you'd have to run Boot Camp or Parallels, etc., to run XP.

If you have any questions or would like me to check out another notebook for you, let me know. I'm happy to help. Post back, and I can try to post ASAP.

Hope this helped you out.
-BMF

Collapse -
CORRECTION!
by tleMega / August 21, 2007 2:55 AM PDT

Sorry folks. I accidentally put said 311MB somewhere instead of 383MB. I apologize.

I tested the customization link I setup and it fails to go through. I apologize for that, and to make up for it, I'll put a link to the HP Pavillion dv9500t series page.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Usage&v1=Entertainment&series_name=dv9500t_series

That should work. Don't try the custom link in my other post! Won't work. This link works better.

Sorry for the trouble. Again, post back if you need more help or recommendations.

-BMF

Collapse -
Another pc I was thinking of
by N212 / August 21, 2007 5:23 AM PDT

Thank you for the help. I like the configuration you picked.

I was thinking about a mac also but I have always been a pc user and don't know if I would like the change.

I would like to know your opinion on a pc I saw in a magazine. The pc is ASUS G1S-A1 is 1,899. It has mainly what I am looking for except it has a 15' screen.

I appreciate the help.

Collapse -
Got it
by tleMega / August 23, 2007 10:33 AM PDT

If you're looking for a Mac, you can't really go wrong, unless you find that you don't like the interface or OS.

Macs can do almost any computer task (in my opinion), but Apple has never been big on games. Game quality may be equal to or less than a high end PC. Plus, if you're an avid gamer, you'd have to run Boot Camp, Parallels (not recommended), Fusion, or CrossOver to play your Windows games.

Mac games have been okay in my experience, but not as good as a 360 or a PS3. I have a Mac laptop, and gameplay is much more difficult because (a) laptop keyboards and trackpads are harder to play on, and (b) you don't have a right click unless you use ctrl+click. Most Mac games have keys on the keyboard that are equal to a right click though.

Normally I'd recommend a Mac to most people, but if you're really interested in gaming, Macs might not be for you. Graphic quality, sound, and control are all great in a Mac, but Halo performs minimally online on my Mac. Server quality is horrible, no matter which one I choose, even though my internet connection is great.

Now, about the Asus laptop.

I looked on the manufacturer site, and it looks like a good choice for you. I haven't had much experience with this brand, but apparently Asus is high on gaming. This is probably better than a Mac for you because you'll still have Windows, and you won't have to buy extra software to run Windows on Mac OS X. Technically, Boot Camp is free, and once the Leopard OS is released, it will cease to be in beta mode and become a real Mac feature.

If you want a Windows PC, I still think that the HP Pavillion would work for you better. You get excellent warranty, supposing you get it, and it covers accidental damage as well. Asus only gives you 2 years (only 1 year on the battery) instead of a possible 3 (or 4 depending on what you pick) from HP. However, Apple offers a 3 year warranty for all Macs, but this doesn't cover accidental damage.

Looking at the three, HP gives you the best experience and support in a Windows machine. Asus appears to be more game-oriented, but with poor support. A 17 inch MacBook Pro would be more expensive than both, but you get the ability to use the two most powerful and common OS's in the world on one machine. You also get great quality on everything else for entertainment.

If you need to save money, and gaming is important to you, go with the Asus.
If you want more bang for your buck with better warranty and support, choose Apple or HP. Which one you pick is totally up to you. I can say from experience that switching to OS X is very easy to do. It only takes about a day to pick up everything, and you can run Windows on it too.

But if you want to keep it simple, pick the HP. Better support = more consumer satisfaction.

If you're unsure, and want to know more about Apple, post back and I'll try to answer your questions.
If you really like the Asus, however, go for it. My opinion doesn't matter as much as yours in this. I'm just telling you what I'd choose and for what reasons.

Hope this helps. Post back if you need to.
-BMF

Collapse -
Define "produces" please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2007 3:30 AM PDT

It's widely documented that the current drivers are not as speedy as people expected (8x00 series) as your 7900gt so that's a given. However you do get DX10.0 drivers with one of the 8x00 (if not both) so someday that will matter (not today).

The answer about "produces" is going to be rough since the video produced is very good looking so my fast answer is "yes."

Let me flatly pan ANY and ALL shared memory video "solutions" if you want to play games. I've seen hundreds of such laptops with little to annoying issues when it comes to games. While I have no issue with mine (some 17 inch with a GMA 950 solution) I opted that way since it's for software development that does not involve gaming or such. For me I get more battery time, less heat and a 599 buck bargain.

So the bottom line is simple. Stay away from any shared video solution and the bottom of the barrel 3D solutions such as the 6150 Nvidia. While the 6150 may enable Aero and 3D games it's ______ (fill in the blank with a censored word.)

You must have some dozen or more posts about your issue so it's possible people may pass up such posts. Try to keep it down to at most a handful of top posts and you'll get better responses.

Bob

Collapse -
I should have said better or equal to
by N212 / August 21, 2007 5:27 AM PDT

Thanks for the info. I also understand what you mean by using one post. I didn't know if it would be a good idea to tag a long on someone elses thread about my question.

Thanks

Collapse -
That's not much better.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2007 8:02 AM PDT

You may be asking for "quality" of display or you may be asking about the frame rate in games. I can't guess here.

Bob

Collapse -
I want to know about the frames
by N212 / August 23, 2007 3:04 AM PDT

I want to know which card produces the better frames the 7900 card or the 8600.

Collapse -
Today? The 7900.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2007 4:43 AM PDT

However the 8600 is what you need for the new DX10 games.

This area is causing some decision grief.

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2007 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Today? The 7900.

I take that by "frames" you are defining this as frame rate and not frame quality.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?