HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I need help!!!

by vhuguen1 / October 28, 2004 11:27 PM PDT

I don't know if this is the board I should be posting in, but here goes. I recently got a new Dell 4600i. It seems I've had nothing but problems with it, though I think it is the fault of the software, and not the computer itself. First of all, McAfee was installed and I use Norton. Didn't know I'd have a problem with having both installed at once, but I did. So I went to the McAfee site to find out how to uninstall it completely (Add/Remove left a lot behind). I went into the registry after making a back up and removed what it said to remove. However, I decided to remove the entire McAfee folder. While I was in there, I removed the Norton one too, as it hadn't installed completely. I figured this would give me a fresh start. I think now that I may have made a mistake. I hope I haven't damaged anything irreversibly. However, now when I open Internet Explorer, only certain pages will load. Hotmail will load the main page, but I can't sign in. I can't log on to my online classes page. I'm really frustrated and I don't know what to do. I tried to open the back up registry but there was an error message. Something like, the back up registry wasn't created completely, some keys are being used by your computer. Any help anyone can give would be much appreciated. I am going nuts. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need help!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need help!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: I need help!!!
by marple / October 28, 2004 11:45 PM PDT
In reply to: I need help!!!

When l am at my wits end l activate the System restore
which you have on your xp hope you can at least finish what you are doing for now. If you have a problem finding this go to search on start up.

Collapse -
by vhuguen1 / October 29, 2004 12:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: I need help!!!

I tried doing system restore, on multiple dates. It won't work. Another source of frustration. I don't know what i did!!

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / October 29, 2004 1:15 AM PDT
However, now when I open Internet Explorer, only certain pages will load. Hotmail will load the main page, but I can't sign in. I can't log on to my online classes page.

No errors no nothing?

1. In order for us to analyze a potential problem and offer tips, we must rely only on the question content to attempt a qualifying response. A question should state the exact system error(s) - spelled, spaced, and capitalized just as it is shown on the display. Helpful perhaps is the window title in the colored bar of the report and any information when provided by a "Details" section also.

2. Most error messages:

? usually list and describe standard default error messages - written within the program code and usually recognized by most "Gurus"

? the troubleshooting techniques may be published and explained in the Microsoft Knowledge Base (MSKB) library for the Windows operating systems or elsewhere on the WEB and may be searched for with accurately reported information.

3. Correct and complete information is vital if informative help and answers are what you seek. You want that Guru who reads your plea to understand the question, to possibly know the answer, and to reply giving you their assistance.

4. The article [Q325192] discusses and describes know issues that may occur after installing certain Updates to Internet Explorer or Windows. Please review the content of this article to see whether the described issue you've reported could be linked to anything there.

5. Access the "Windows Update site" and click "View installation history" in the left frame to ascertain your system update information.
Collapse -
by vhuguen1 / October 29, 2004 1:21 AM PDT

After entering the web address I'm trying to open and hitting enter, the "page cannot be displayed" message comes up instantaneously. I'm at work right now, not in front of my own computer, but that is what it says. And only for certain pages. Do you think this problem has anything to do with the registry changes?

Collapse -
IE Links?
by Cursorcowboy / October 29, 2004 1:31 AM PDT

1. Download and use "IEFix" - a general purpose fix for Internet Explorer (Win 98/ME/2000/XP):

a. Registers Urlmon.dll, Mshtml.dll, Actxprxy.dll, Oleaut32.dll, Shell32.dll, Shdocvw.dll, [Q281679].

b. Refreshes Internet Explorer using IE.INF method. Notes:

(1) "Unable to Install Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP (Q304872)"

(2) "How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q318378)"

c. Initiates "SFC /Scannow" (Win2K&XP), [Q310747].

2. The article [Q154036] describes the step-by-step procedure for troubleshooting problems with Active Content in IE such as ActiveX scripts, ActiveX controls, and Java programs when you are unable to load a particular Web page.

3. Supplemental:

a. "A New IE Window Does Not Always Open When You Click Hyperlinks (Q272415)."

Note: The purpose of this article is to point out a common error in HTML coding which is not an IE issue.

b. "OLEXP: How to Configure OE to Open Links in E-mail Messages in a New Window (Q256953)."

Collapse -
Re: IE Links?
by vhuguen1 / October 29, 2004 2:36 AM PDT
In reply to: IE Links?

Thank you so much. I'll try those things when I get home tonight. I appreciate your help.

Collapse -
by Tinkerman / October 29, 2004 9:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: IE Links?

Hi vhuguen1,I have had problems with Norton Internet Security installations and have found that uninstalling is the best option if NIS does not work properly.Did you uninstall via the NIS dialog box,this is very important for a clean uninstall.Removing system folders installed by NIS can cause problems,when you try a new installation it will regard incorrect uninstallations as a security breach and fail to install properly.On one occasion I was obliged to format my HDD and do a clean install of all my software.If your PC came with Mcfee preinstalled and this was not removed correctly and an attempt was made to install NIS 'over the top of it',this could make matters much worse.If all else fail a'clean install' may be the answer.I have found Mozilla Firefox to be a much better browser than IE 6.,and so use it for most of my web work.

Regards Tinkerman.

Collapse -
by vhuguen1 / October 30, 2004 2:20 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply...I actually downloaded Firefox, because I did read so many good things about it. HOWEVER, when I tried to open and use it, it said something along the lines of "connection refused to www.mozilla.com". I tried multiple websites and got the same message (except with the different web address in place of the mozilla.com). I don't care if I never use IE again, I just need to access my email and a few other things. Some pages still work in IE, just not the ones i truly NEED. Also, any program I have that tries to update fails. Error messages are all along the lines of, cannot connect to remote server. What is the deal?? Please help!!

Collapse -
by vhuguen1 / October 30, 2004 2:31 AM PDT

I forgot to mention, everything works in Safe Mode. Firefox and IE both connect to all pages. Any ideas?

Collapse -
by roddy32 / October 30, 2004 2:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
by vhuguen1 / October 31, 2004 12:48 AM PDT

I have scanned my computer with multiple virus checkers and have found absolutely nothing infecting it. I am so frustrated and i can't believe someone doesn't know what is wrong. Can anyone help?? Again, i am unable to get updates on antivirus defs, can't check email, can access secure sites it seems. Only in safe mode, where everything seems to work fine.

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 31, 2004 5:43 AM PST

I think you should do what roddy says, and goto Trend Micro and do an online scan.

Also, did you try IE Fix?

Collapse -
by Tinkerman / October 31, 2004 8:22 AM PST

Hi vhuguen,you may well have answered your own question,'safe mode' restricts your computers operation to essential services.If you can identfiy the programms that are not operating in 'safe mode'you may be able to isolate the problem.If this does not work I would be inclined to use fdisk and carry out a fresh install.

Tinkerman.

Collapse -
by David Chan / October 31, 2004 8:24 AM PST

Your unsuccessful uninstall/removal of McAfee & Norton has indeed done some damage to XP.

Since System Restore did not help I would start over and do a clean install of XP after all files have been backed up.

Alternatively run MSCONFIG and disable any McAfee items from start up.

If you select Selective Startup and disable all Startup items it'll probably solve your problem for now.

But a clean install should be considered.
This time make sure, if McAfee is preloaded, to uninstall it and restart the PC before you install Norton.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.