Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

I need backup software-bought DVD burner

by tom4561 / March 20, 2006 8:38 AM PST

I have Dell 2400, xp sp2 Pentium 4 desktop. I just bought a DVD-RW burner and do not have a Microsoft backup utility.

I now need advice on backup programs. Something good, reasonable in price, and easy for a newbie to use.

I also would like to know why there are differences in DVD-R and DVD+R disks. Which one is preferable for backing up the files on my computer. Everybody recomends to backup the hard drive in the event of a crash(I don't have videos or music or photos).

Thanks for any help. Tom.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need backup software-bought DVD burner
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need backup software-bought DVD burner
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Answers...
by John.Wilkinson / March 20, 2006 10:19 AM PST

1.) On most OEM systems, including Dells, the backup utility is not preinstalled, but you do have it. For instructions on finding it on your Dell recovery CD and installing it, click here.

2.) You can "ghost/clone" your hard drive, which is where you may an exact replica of your hard drive on another drive or a set of CDs/DVDs. This backs up everything, including the operating system, in case of a crash. For this you'd want to look into a program such as Norton Ghost.

3.) One of the best backup programs is Acronis TrueImage ($50). It can run on a defined schedule and perform incremental backups (only what's changed) of specific folders/files and files types. It can also clone your hard drive, like Norton Ghost can. However, I prefer to simply backup the files myself...once a week I burn a set of DVDs with all of my important information. I like to be in charge of the process, not rely on a piece of software. (Call me old-fashioned.)

4.) DVD+R and DVD-R are competing DVD formats. DVD-R is more common for burning your own video DVDs, while DVD+R is more common for data backups. (Some may argue DVD+R is superior, but the differences are negligible.) Which one you use is up to you, provided your computer's DVD burner can handle both. (Most newer ones can, but just be sure.)

5.) Make sure you have more than one backup. Any form of media can go bad, so you don't want to have your hard drive fail just to find our your backup is no good anymore. Also, after burning the backup make sure you check the DVD to be sure the files were burned properly...again, you don't want a corrupt backup.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) thanks for the information John. Helps a lot.
by tom4561 / March 21, 2006 8:30 AM PST
In reply to: Answers...
Collapse -
John has...
by Edward ODaniel / March 23, 2006 5:24 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) thank you Ed.
by tom4561 / March 24, 2006 7:48 AM PST
In reply to: John has...
Collapse -
Re: Backup software
by rprough / March 23, 2006 6:46 PM PST

John is right about the two formats not differing too much. I prefer to us the -r format though because it just seems to have a wider range of compatability with other equipment.

Both programs are good but I have had trouble with Norton Ghost so I discontinued using it and am actually now using Acronis True Image. But what I do In my backup scheme is to burn a complete system image to a dvd-r once a month and do weekly incremental backups to a dvd-rw disk. It works good for me because this is a home computer but your type of use for your computer might need more frequent backups.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) thank you rprough.
by tom4561 / March 24, 2006 7:51 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Backup software
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.