Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I need assistance, BIG TIME!!

Never had a problem needing tech support in 8 years with this computer, and now I find out I have to pay a ridiculous amount of money to get a little help from HP. Not going to happen. My problem is my husband deleted the password for my outlook express. I had no clue as to what it was so I tried all the passwords I normally would have used. Nothing worked so I made a new identity to continue using my email. Problem is now I can't get back to my main identity where I have stored dozens of needed info, confirmation emails, address book, etc....I need these things. How can I get back to my main identity? I found the password we used years ago, tried it, doesn't work. Called Verizon, they tried to help, couldn't. It's disabled. I need to get my main identity back for all of that information that I need. I can't even pick up my pictures at Wal Mart w/o the conf. #! (They can't find them)Please if anyone knows what to do, please help. I can't afford to pay HP $60 to ask how. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need assistance, BIG TIME!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need assistance, BIG TIME!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
well i was looking around

In reply to: I need assistance, BIG TIME!!

Collapse -
Re: Outlook Express data

Subie,

Each Identity in Outlook Express has its own sets of folders (like Inbox.dbx, Outbox.dbx and whatever you added) in a Windows Folder. Unless the contents is password protected or encrypted, you should be able to access your old mail by either copying the contents of the old Windows folder used over the new Windows folder used, or simply changing the location of the 'store folder' in the options to point to the old location. Use Explorer to search for all occurrences of Inbox.dbx, and note the modification date if the Windows folder name isn't clear.

Security and privacy weren't prime design targets for Windows 9x/Me, so it seems to me there's a good chance this will work. Let us know what happens.

Some details in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;270670
The address book might be a problem, according to this article.

Hope this helps. The positive side of it is that helps you learning about backup. Always comes in handy, either with dumb husbands or with hard disk crashes.

Kees

Collapse -
If you can find the old Identies folder on your harddrive,

you can open the new Outlook Express, click File, Import, Messages, Mail (or address book since it works for both), and then use the browse button to get to that particular old Identities folder. All the mail should be imported to the new identity immediately.

As for Wal-Mart....I'm not sure about that one....but normally they have a log in window and if you have the original USERNAME, you can request your old password to be emailed to you in case you have forgotten it. Have you tried that method? OR...if you are lucky and have saved the 'confirmation' email they normally send you when you register, and it's inside the mail you want to import, you can get it from there once the emails are in the new Identity.

TONI

Collapse -
Am I missing something here?

Normally, a username and password for an email program is the same as the username and password for the Internet Service Provider access.

EG, if you use AOL as your internet service provider, you will have a username and password to log onto AOL. Usually that same username and password is used to log onto AOL's email service.

So, how do you log on to your internet service provider? If the username and password are saved so you never have to enter them each time you log onto the internet, then your ISP should be able to tell you what your username and password is. They would probably be cautious, and need some sort of ID, or perhaps they asked you for a memorable phrase when you signed up to the service?

Just a thought.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.