Storage forum

General discussion

i need an external hardrive, have some questions...

by don13ger / April 5, 2005 2:47 AM PDT

first of all, i need to know these things..
does an external hardrive perform the same as the internal one? i mean, when i connect it through firewire or usb, can i use the data on it and use it as if it were on an internal hardrive? like for example, i use the avi files on it and edit the videos. would that be possible?
i also need an external hardrive which i can connect directly to a television cause primarily im gonna use the hardrive to store my home videos.. thank you in advance...
any suggestions on a very good hardrive would be appreciated.. i need 100+gb hardrive..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: i need an external hardrive, have some questions...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: i need an external hardrive, have some questions...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What OS?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2005 2:51 AM PDT

If it's Windows, avoid firewire. If it's a Mac, use Firewire. Most will work fine on the PC with USB 2.0, very few will run on USB 1.1.

"i also need an external hardrive which i can connect directly to a television cause primarily im gonna use the hardrive to store my home videos"

Good luck finding that.

Bob

Collapse -
im using windows xp...
by don13ger / April 5, 2005 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: What OS?
Collapse -
"The Silverscreen is a sluggish mobile hard drive..."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2005 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: im using windows xp...

"The Silverscreen is a sluggish mobile hard drive with a useful entertainment feature--it plays video and music directly to TV."

Even the link you supplied noted this. My externals are more of the 200+GB size with 7200RPM drives and quite nice at about 1/2 the dollar.

But my don't connect to the TV. The item they won't tell you in this review is that the Video Encoding may be quite inefficient. Let's take it that it's about the same as your DVD. That gives this 80GB drive at most 17 movies.

Seems like a bad deal to me.

I'll share I use something along the same lines, which is the Dlink Media Center. No hard disk and plays movies, music and such. It's not perfect so read the reviews.

Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by don13ger / April 9, 2005 12:20 AM PDT

reading ur replies uve helped me more than once from having a wrong purchase.. ill read more before i buy..

Collapse -
Perhaps building an external?
by theding0 / April 10, 2005 6:43 AM PDT

I don't know if this is an option to you, but I plan to buy a 200 Gb high RPM internal HD, place it in an enclosure, and use the USB 2.0 connection from the enclosure as the connector. You'll save a bundle (assuming you're not looking for a highly mobile HD; this is more of a 'stays in the house' external HD, I think)

Collapse -
Can I partition an external harddrive?
by bradley s / June 18, 2007 1:52 PM PDT

I have an hp desktop and I am in the process of getting an apple laptop. Can I partition the hardrive so i can back up data for both computers?

Collapse -
(NT) Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2007 2:13 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.