HolidayBuyer's Guide

Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

I need an easy no spyware recommendation site for music.

by cherylpg / January 24, 2008 8:06 AM PST

I just cleaned up my laptop from getting a virus from a "trusted" site. I would like an easy site that is free and I do not have to install a bunch of programs for.
Is there such a place as a safe site??? I just want music to download to a MP3 player or burn to a CD... this always seems o complicated when I try. An easy one is what I need.
A DELL rep that helped me fix my laptop said to try shareaza. Never even heard of it!!

OH HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need an easy no spyware recommendation site for music.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need an easy no spyware recommendation site for music.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes
by welrdelr / January 24, 2008 6:03 PM PST

Switch to Linux/GNU or a BSD and use aMule to share music, LAME and too/twoLAME to encode and decode and OpenDC for a decentralized connection.

Collapse -
Try...
by John.Wilkinson / January 25, 2008 4:56 AM PST

-> Amazon and Cnet's own download.com offer selections of free music, though most of it is from groups you may never have heard of before.
-> eMusic offers low-cost DRM-free music, but it's largely Indian and no-name groups.
-> SpiralFrog offers a large collection of big-name groups at no cost, instead being supported by site advertisements. The only catch is that you must download licenses once a month or your music will stop playing.
-> Aside from that, Walmart, Napster, Rhapsody, and iTunes are some of the most popular services with prices under $1 per song.

The difference is that the above are music sites/services where you can buy or subscribe to music. Shareaza is a P2P network where you're downloading songs from other people from around the world, which could potentially be pirated. Personally, I'd stick with the above options.

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.