Phones forum

General discussion

I need advice on short-term cellphone use in USA

I currently live in Italy but will be spending
the summer in Atlanta, GA. I have a Sony
Ericsson tri-band phone and a Vodafone number here. I
don't want to purchase a new phone in the States.
How can I use the one I have? It seems that the
pre-paid plans require you to purchase a phone
(and number?) there. What can you suggest? I'll
only be there for two months. Thank you for any
advice you can provide.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need advice on short-term cellphone use in USA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need advice on short-term cellphone use in USA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It depends

In reply to: I need advice on short-term cellphone use in USA

Do your phones have the 850/1900 MHz Bands? You would need those if you want maximum coverage.
The two carriers that uses SIM cards are Cingular and T Mobile. T Mobile has the better deal for pay as you go plans. You can have your own 'unlocked' GSM phone and just purchase the a SIM card with a number and prepaid minutes.

Once again, you have to make sure your phone has the bands I mentioned above to operate in the USA. If you don't have the right phone, then you would need to get another one. In which case you can wait till you get here and get a phone/SIM/minutes from the same carrier.

Collapse -
Use of cell phone in USA

In reply to: It depends

Thanks, I'm going to check them out online. I know the phone works in the States, because it has in the past. I had a yearly plan when I lived in Germany. That's not possible in Italy.

Collapse -
Then go with T-Mobile's pay as you go plan

In reply to: Use of cell phone in USA

They are cheaper and more flexible. If you will be mostly in a major metropolitan area, you should get good reception there. I am assuming your tri-band phone has 900/1800/1900 bands, which also would be better with T-Mobile, because T Mobile mostly uses the 1900 band.

Popular Forums

Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions


Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.