Tablets forum

Question

I need a tablet but...

by mixxedstudd / August 3, 2012 10:23 AM PDT

Hello hello!

I am in need of a tablet that's less than or equal to $200. I won't be using it for anything fancy, note taking in meeting mainly. As a full time student, I need something lighter than my laptop (Dell Studio1555) and a tablet would fit the bill. I feel like I have been searching forever but I can't seem to find the right one! Basically, I need a tablet that will work well with a Bluetooth keyboard case that does NOT have a kickstand. I will be using my lap as a desk so the kickstand cases won't work for what I need (Obviously needs to support itself). That and a 10" screen. Thoughts? I'm kind of stuck looking at the same stuff that just wont work!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need a tablet but...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need a tablet but...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
10" Tablets Around $200
by baybreeze / August 4, 2012 10:32 AM PDT
In reply to: I need a tablet but...

I'm not sure if you would find a decent tablet that's a 10" for around $200.00, maybe a refurbished one. There are tablets out there that are cheap, but you get what you pay for. These are less known brands and usually the user experience on these is less than optimal. I've tried some myself and many times they are very slow, sometimes you are limited in your app selection, not much space, or they have resistive touch rather than capacitive (which means you really have to push down to use it...and it is a pain).

There are some 10" Acer tablets between about $250 and $300; If you are really price restricted, you might want to consider a 7". Google just came out with a brand new 7" tablet, the Nexus 7, and they have 2 versions. 8 GB for $199.99 or 16GB for $249.99. You can buy directly from Google or from some stores (they partnered with Asus, who actually made this tablet) Samsung has some 7" tabs for around $250 to $300. Or might be able to find an older refurbed iPad for around $300.

Personally, I would rather spend a little more to get something that works well. What tablets have you looked at so far that wouldn't work for you.....and what are the reasons you think they wouldn't work? Just trying to get a feel of what exactly you want/need.

Collapse -
Answer
Do not buy without trying.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2012 10:37 AM PDT

I find most come away feeling burned for the note taking. That is you get some tablet and discover first hand why folk warned you and then you go out and add the keyboard.

There are plenty of sub 200 tablets but not one would be a solution on its own.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Make sure you get
by orlbuckeye / August 6, 2012 3:50 AM PDT

at least Android Honeycomb or above and compatible with Google Pay store otherwise you will be disappointed.

Collapse -
Answer
Getting cheaper tablet
by cursorsystem / August 6, 2012 7:14 PM PDT

I don't think you can get NEW tablet at that price either online or offline. The only way I think you can get it at that price is if you can see someone that wants to dispose his/her tablet off. That is, it will be fairly used tablet

Collapse -
Answer
What tablet is the best
by thenerdnickster / August 9, 2012 4:37 AM PDT

I think that a 7 inch tablet would be better becuase there are more options in your price range I would recommend waiting or buying a used ipad 1 or 2 on Ebay. If you want a new tablet get the Nexus 7.

Collapse -
Answer
10" Tablets around $200
by ab24lmp / August 9, 2012 12:51 PM PDT

For tablets that have screens of 10 ", I can only recommend to use the tablet Transformer Asus or tablet Acer . But the price offered may be greater than $ 200.

Collapse -
Answer
I took the plunge
by mixxedstudd / August 9, 2012 4:30 PM PDT

After much searching, I decided to shell out the extra cash and buy a first generation Ipad. I went with the Ipad mainly due to the wide selection of bluetooth keyboard portfolios. I purchased from ebay from a highly ranked seller for just over the $250 mark.

Collapse -
iPad
by baybreeze / August 9, 2012 10:21 PM PDT
In reply to: I took the plunge

Great! Have you used it yet? How do you like it?

Collapse -
Ipad
by mixxedstudd / August 10, 2012 12:03 AM PDT
In reply to: iPad

Not yet...I'm waiting for the UPS truck to roll up. I'm a bit anxious as I am probably the only person on the planet who hasn't played with an Apple product yet (excluding those old black and green computers from way back when).

Collapse -
Answer
How about an Acer
by voy108 / August 10, 2012 9:42 AM PDT

I just purchased an A500 on Ebay for just over $200. and I see numerous offerings for the A200 for under $200 like around $189 for refurbs. Also, check out Acer's Ebay site...they have a refurb A500 for 219.99 shipped if I remember right(don't know if there's any stock left now...that was about 3 weeks ago). I am super happy with the A500 but my demands may not be as great as yours. I went with the A500 b/c it has HDMI. Good luck

Collapse -
Answer
Like what I've read about the Nexus 7...
by Doh_1 / August 10, 2012 10:12 AM PDT

I have a new iPad (iPad 3) back when they came out, but I got that since I wanted the 3G/4G in foreign countries, like Canada *smile* and Europe, etc. Pretty rare outside of the iPad, although I hear it's available.

If I were going to get a tablet now, I'd be looking seriously at the Nexus 7. I'd want to hold one and play with it before I bought it though, to check out the form factor. For the new iPad, I didn't need to do that, since I've had iPhone for some time and like that. But the Nexus 7 really packs in a lot of functionality and power for the money.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.