TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

I need a surveillance camera.

by MumClarke / November 19, 2014 6:55 PM PST

I need to watch the inside of whelping kennels, to monitor when the Mum starts to give birth. The kennels are approx. 30 metres from the house. The images must be in real time and I would prefer not to use cabling due to the distance and lack of 'how to' knowledge.
I have IP cameras that allow me to watch the images on my PC and mobile but it seems that the cameras must be a maximum of 20 metres from the router and don't work! I have tried an extender but that did not work either.
Can anybody suggest an alternative camera or a solution to my problem?
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need a surveillance camera.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need a surveillance camera.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Please provide more info
by Pepe7 / November 19, 2014 11:29 PM PST

Knowing your current equipment, especially all makes/model numbers (including the PC & router specs) would help.

My guess is the extender isn't set up properly, or would be the easiest link to fix.

Collapse -
Equipment specs.
by MumClarke / November 20, 2014 11:57 AM PST

I'm not very knowledgeable about all the specs but I'll get it off the manuals and boxes!
PC: 4GB Intel(R) Celeron(r) CPU, 64 bit operating system, running Windows 7 Home Premium.
Router: TP-Link 300Mbps Wireless N ADSL2 Modem Router (model TD-W8960n
Extender: Netgear Universal WiFi Range extender model 3000RP
Camera: Maginon IP Security Camera, WLAN surveillance camera, model 1PC-1A
The computer & router is in the middle of the home. I have set up the router in the window of the bedroom closest to the kennels. It is linked and working.
I contacted Maginon after sales support and they told me that the camera's have a maximum range of 20 metres from the router. I don't understand this and assumed that if I have coverage out there (which I do even without the range extender) that it would work.
If you need more computer/router specs, let me know where to find them and I'll supply!!
Thank you so much.

Collapse -
Range still the issue
by Pepe7 / November 21, 2014 3:55 AM PST
In reply to: Equipment specs.

Understand, if you have a camera with specs that state 20m as max range, and the kennels are 30m from the house, it's not going to work. The extender would usually have to be somewhere in the middle of that 30 meters for this to work at all. Also, it's helpful to understand that even if the device is 'seen'/can connect, that doesn't mean it will necessarily reliably transmit data at that particular distance. There's going to be some 'threshold' involved.

I suggest testing out the extender inside the kennel as an ethernet bridge. Use a short ethernet cable between the base of the wifi camera and the extender. Extender hopefully can see the main router in the house. (And that's another option- relocating the main router much closer to the side of the house that faces the kennel.)

Collapse -
Range issue suggestion
by MumClarke / November 21, 2014 9:13 PM PST
In reply to: Range still the issue

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try putting the extender in the kennels and it could be 'seen' by the main router but still found that the camera 'connection' kept dropping out. Didn't think of connecting the camera to the extender with a Ethernet cable so will try that tomorrow. Unfortunately, I don't have a phone connection on that side of the house and was trying to avoid having to install one but may have to bite the bullet. It'll give me an extra 4m closer and may do. If not, cabling here I come! Darn it.
Thanks again for your help.

Collapse -
(NT) Equipment specs
by MumClarke / November 20, 2014 12:03 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?