TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

I need a new TV?!

Ok here is my dilemma. I have a great big, expensive tv stand in my family room. Right now I have a sony 36" flat wega in it and the picture is starting to go in and out. It is about six years old. I personally want to get the tv stand out of there and hang get a lcd or plasma but its really expensive and my mom is in love with it so thats not an option. I am looking to upgrade to an hd set but I know I have limited options. The tv pretty much fills the stand up size wise. Are there any good hd tv's out there that I can get for my situation? Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need a new TV?!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need a new TV?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LCD

In reply to: I need a new TV?!

You can probably fit a 37" to 42" LCD flat panel in the cabinet. Lots of choices. The ones with the speakers below the screen are not very wide. Measure the opening and head to the store with a tape measure.

Collapse -
THROW OUT THE T.V. STAND AND INSTALL A MOVIE SCREEN

Every time I loose at poker I take all my anger and post someting stupid so bear with me ha ha. Hi def is going to diliver you a picture so beautiful BETTER THAN ANY MOVIE THEATER IN TOWN, But picture on a postage stamp size t.v. to me is a waste of time Yopu will have to squint your eyes to see the detail, The only way to truly enjoy hi-def is to go big big the best way is a projector and screen about 110" a nice set up about 10 grand ha ha I would not want to go anything smaller than 50" WHY its called the movie theater experience a postage stamp size t,v, after awhile you are gointg to hate watching a tiny picture steweeeeee

Collapse -
Stewart

In reply to: THROW OUT THE T.V. STAND AND INSTALL A MOVIE SCREEN

Are you saying that you lose at poler a lot?

Collapse -
tv

In reply to: Stewart

doesnt samsung make a hd 32" tv that is 1080i? it looks like a thin tube

Collapse -
No 32" is 1080. . .

In reply to: tv

Unless, and a big maybe, CRT. Check the Samsung site.

Collapse -
come on now...

In reply to: THROW OUT THE T.V. STAND AND INSTALL A MOVIE SCREEN

Suggesting that the guy install a projector with 100" screen in a family room is ridiculous. First of all, most people do not like to watch TV in complete darkness which is all but required to view a sharp picture from a projector.

Sure it is the cheapest way to get a screen size in the 100" realm, but it is certainly not practical for a family room home theater system.

Collapse -
cry

Is the picture quality of a 1080i crt as good as a 1080ilcd?

Collapse -
CRT picture is...

In reply to: cry

The Best!

Here is a quote from another member here : "A CRT HD TV is a digital HDTV that has an analog screen, not a fixed pixel screen as ALL to other HDTV do(LCD and Plasma), thus it can scan at 480i/p SD video will look very, very good. If the source is 720p then it scans at 720p, if the source is 1080i then it scans at 1080i. Only a CRT-HD TV can do this. John"

That being said here is what I bought, Sony KD-34XBR970 HDTV. It is a awsome TV, here is the link:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=KD34XBR970&Dept=tvvideo&CategoryName=tv_34to36TVs

I hope this helps,
hyghwayman

Collapse -
Well actually

In reply to: CRT picture is...

According to Sony's customer service it upconverts everything to 1080i so it won't scan at 480i/p or 720p it will upconvert those and scan at 1080i, but all those resolutions will still look great (better than on an LCD, Plasma, or RP), I mean you own one so you know how awesome it is. Plus from what everyone tells me CRT still has the deepest blacks and the best looking most accurate colors of any technology (unless you want to pay 2-3 times as much). To the original poster Samsung makes a 30" widescreen slimfit HD CRT for around $700 if that's more in your price range but I haven't heard anything about how good (or bad) they are.

Collapse -
tv

thanx a lot for the info. that tv looks pretty nice. is there anything similar to that for less than 700?

Collapse -
NO, NOT REALLY.

In reply to: tv

river.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.