Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Laptops forum

General discussion

I need A LOT of HELP

by shawn777 / November 1, 2004 6:56 AM PST

I go to college and need a laptop but there are so many that it has become more of a headache than anything remotely fun. If anybody can suggest anything, it would be great.

What I need:
1) Thin and light: 6.5 lbs or less
2) Average of 3.5-4 hrs of battery life
3) module bay: cd/dvd and floppy
4) 1.3 ghz or higher
5) 40gb of memory
6) 256mb or higher in RAM
7) Decent size or better keyboard: I'll be typing a lot and this is just as strong factor as processor speed.
Cool And wireless internet connection

I have looked and looked, and so far, the 600m looks really inticing but I'm afraid of size of the keyboard. Then there is also the dell latitude d600. But my computer knowledge is limited to only what I can read and magazines that come my way. If you know any other company's or models notebooks, please suggest it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need A LOT of HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need A LOT of HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: I need A LOT of HELP
by Tinkerman / November 1, 2004 7:33 AM PST
In reply to: I need A LOT of HELP

Hi shawn777,I chose a factory refubished IBM T22 ThinkPad to complement my Desktop.My keyboard skills are not that good but I found the IBM keyboard easy to use.Do you have internet access?a search will provide a wide range of laptops, and prices in the US are far better than the UK.

Regards Tinkerman.

Collapse -
Re: I need A LOT of HELP
by KenSanramon / November 1, 2004 8:37 AM PST

Yes, IBM has the best keyboards if you want to pay a bit more (but they are also very durable).

If you are willing to get a notebook right at the 6.5 pound range a 15.4" widescreen notebook allows for better spacing for the keyboard (And often speakers to the left and right as well instead of at the top or bottom of the notebook deck) as the wider LCD allows for more real estate on the notebook deck below it as well.

My Compaq X1000 series (same as HPZT3000 series) gets exactly the battery life you describe (3.5 to 4 hours) using wi-fi 100% of the time unplugged or longer (up to 5 hours) with the wi-fi turned off (DVD playing would be about 3.5 to 4 hours also as the DVD drive is spinning). This has dedicated video RAM also. See X1000forums.com and hpshopping.com (for custom ordering/configuration).

You should look for a Dell kiosk in a mall near you (at least in the US) to try any Dell before you buy it (you can try HP/Compaq/Toshiba/Sony, etc in Circuit City, Best Buy, etc even if you custom order as if preferable later).

Dell should tell you somewhere on the website where the kiosks are.

The 600M seems to have a heat issue to the left of the touchpad as the hard drive is directly under that spot (see prior posts on this board). The Dell 8600 is more comparable to the ZT3000 above and also has the 15.4" widescreen (6.9 pounds) but the case is not as good nor is the keyboard fell as good as the IBMS first and the HPZT3000/Compaq X1000 series 2nd.

At any rate you can get several Pentium M 15.4" widescreens at 6.5 pounds or less (see also Toshiba M35 series -- but some now have shared video memory) if you stick to Centrino (which are the lightest, run the coolest, and offer the longest battery life).

If you don't need the dedicated video RAM and want to have a lighter weight check out the HP DV1000 with CD/DVD functions with the Computer turned off and only 5.3 pounds (14" widescreen) -- but shared video memory.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!