Laptops forum

General discussion

I need a laptop in 2 weeks for university

by Leo_o / August 23, 2006 9:46 AM PDT

I am looking a laptop that is durable and realiable, that cost max of $1500 cdn. The build quality of a laptop is very important to me. I will probably using this laptop mostly for word processing, and gaming not high end games.

I have been looking at many laptop including the toshiba a100 sk8, the sony vaio FJ black, and S, and the Hp dv1000t and dv2000t.

in term of build quality which one is the best, is either of the hp any good, i have heard story of hp using cheap part, and having bad consumer support.

thankyou for reading any response is appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need a laptop in 2 weeks for university
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need a laptop in 2 weeks for university
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"bad consumer support"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2006 10:05 AM PDT

Are you writing about the OS support? Yes, all makers are very poor at this. They didn't write it and the Windows OS is under heavy attack by spyware and owners load deadly software like Limeware. How do you tell your buyer "don't do that."?

My only input is to look at the Toshibas in that price range and shortlist the ones with 3 year warranties.

Bob

Collapse -
In need of a notebook
by jbeneshellfish / August 23, 2006 12:35 PM PDT
In reply to: "bad consumer support"

I am also a student in need of a notebook very quickly. The one big thing that's important to me is the tech support and service. The problem with HP in Canada is if your machine breaks, and you have a warranty with them, you have to send it back to HP. They say 3-4 business days, but is it really going to be that quick in the middle of a Canadian winter? If you go with a Staples/Future Shop/Best Buy warranty, all you're paying for is to get someone else to send it back to HP for you (that's the way it is where I am anyway.)

I am ordering a Dell Inspiron 6400 shortly (waiting for a sale, but time's running out) and one of the big deciding factors for me was that they offer 3 or 4 year next business day on-site service all across Canada. Basically, if your machine malfunctions anywhere in Canada, they have technicians who will come to your location to fix it, next business day. I think that's very important because, as a student, it would be difficult to survive a week without a computer because you had to ship it back to HP.

Collapse -
Time to repair is running about a week for names.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2006 10:23 PM PDT
In reply to: In need of a notebook

If you need something shorter than that, then you can buy such a warranty. It's pricey.

At the office we are full of Dells, Hp/Compaq units and the only failures we see are from accidents and old age. I can't write that these are bad machines.

So don't drop your laptop.

Bob

Collapse -
I recommend the HP dv1000t or dv2000t.
by kitsap360 / August 25, 2006 8:08 AM PDT

I own both of these models, and they are two of the best notebooks on the market. The Core Duo saves a hell of a lot of battery power, but also increases your performance. The dv2000t has the new HP IMPRINT finish, which I absolutely love, because it's much more durable than the standard plastic matte most companies use.

Brightview. One reason I standby HP. BrightView LCD monitors on notebooks kick every other notebook maker's but.

QuickPlay. Listen to music and watch movies without booting the OS. An HP Exclusive that I love.

All in all, I recommend you to go with either the dv1000t or dv2000t. I?ve never had a problem I didn?t cause myself with them, and they?re by far the two greatest notebooks I?ve ever worked with.

Collapse -
short answer...
by jgvillan / August 25, 2006 9:44 AM PDT

I would go..

HP/Toshiba. Pretty much a toss up. Both are reliable laptops, I lean more to HP for multimedia purposes. Toshiba for 'business' type apps. Both will serve you well.

Would not get a Sony, only because for a similar type model, you pay more for a Sony, than HP/Toshiba.

Don't go for Emachines/Gateway. These tend to 'crack' at the screen hinge, due to constant open/close of the LCD screen.

Acer is a good 'coming-up' machine. Although I do not own one, I have a friend who does, (Duo Core) and she can't live without it. Takes it everywhere.

Hope that this helps and good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!