TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

I need a HDTV

I need a 42" HDTV or around that size.
What specs should i look for and how do i choose one?

Any recommendations?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need a HDTV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need a HDTV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PLEASE DO SOME RESEARCH ON YOUR OWN..............

In reply to: I need a HDTV

THE QUESTION is too vague!!!
What technology are you looking for? What will you be primarily watching.....HD-TV, DVDs, or gaming???

BUDGET AND BETTER SIZE requirements would help a lot, as well.

Riverledge.

Collapse -
Get lost if you cat help!!!

In reply to: PLEASE DO SOME RESEARCH ON YOUR OWN..............

Listen dude there are many people around here who don't know a lot about tech like maybe you do. So if you can help then you are most welcome, if you cant then dont waste everyone's time. If I were in your place, I would ask him the same questions politely!

Anyways.
I would recommend an LCD with the info you gave me. If you could tell us some more then we could help you et exactly what you want. Whats your viewing distance, budget etc.

Collapse -
(NT) a simple search will give you all the answeres you need.

In reply to: Get lost if you cat help!!!

Collapse -
SHAH BUYERS SHOULD KNOW THE BASICS

Hi-Def t.v.s. are not like toasters Folks should know what t.v. is best for the buck, what equipment they must have , cables etc. I started building my home theater years ago before anyone knew didley squat about hi.def I wasted a lot of money buying electronics that did not work rite wrong cables etc etc And now hi-def is so affordable so much great programming but to get that great picture you must know what you are doinghappy holiday steweeee

Collapse -
Dude, the poster contributes here frequently with good will

There is some exasperation @ the fact that many click in here without thought of checking recent posts for info. Matter of fact, something like the 10 or so most asked questions are posted every 2 days.

Instant gratification? Posters here are volunteers, not paid answer guys. Consistently, we've referred to reading recent post topics, then reposting with more specific questions.

Yes, a new venture into the area of HDTV looks daunting, with lots of insider jargon. Sorry, but it's like saying you want a good car. Way too vague.

Stating what you need it to do for you, room size, budget etc. at least narrow it down somewhat. Primary use of watching network TV, HDTV, DVDs or gaming define needs to some extent. One guy's budget is $600, anothers may be 10 grand. Some live in marginal housing, others in McMansions. Some could use reliability in a modest package as they are shut-ins, while another may want to impress their business associates.

Collapse -
I perfectly agree with all of you...

In reply to: Dude, the poster contributes here frequently with good will

I don't mean any offense Riverledge. No hard feelings OK?

Even I get really irritated by people asking vague questions especially relating to tech. Even I would have asked the exact same question if I were in Rivers place. But the reason why I got so angry was the way he asked his questions. Dude a guy who is new to the forums and tech cant be expected to give full detail and stuff.
Secondly we are all volunteers so no is forcing you to answer. So if the same question is being asked again and again then just dont answer or find a way out of it.

What we can do is create a Post called FAQs and no one is supposed to post before reading it. It would help new comers as well as us volunteers.

Good BYE

Collapse -
I'll be using it for

In reply to: PLEASE DO SOME RESEARCH ON YOUR OWN..............

Mostly watching TV.
Possibly gaming with a Nintendo Wii.
I'm looking for an LCD on rite now.

I dont know anything about cables, etc.

Collapse -
OK, for starters

In reply to: I'll be using it for

C/net has a nice introduction to HDTV. Click the green tab (upper left) "Today on c/net." In reviews column, click "Home Video," then click "Buying Advice," then "TV Buying Guide." or further future education, go to "Online Courses," find "All Home Entertainment Courses" to find a free online "Planning Your Home Entertainment Center" course starting Jan 1.

At the 42" size LCD sets still cost more than plasmas. Both technologies have improved & are pretty good. A little rundown of differences are:

plasma better low black level
advantage for watching movies
better viewing angle
better for standard definition

LCD higher resolution
advantage for watching broadcast TV
less screen glare
slower response time

Plasmas' deeper blacks make colors really pop. Viewing angle might not be important to you. LCD had a fast motion lag/blur. Screen refresh rates used to be around 28 milli seconds. Check makers for their improvement. I quickly checked some websites & found some reference that may not be consistent or complete.

Samsung 2 ms
Sharp 4 ms
Sony 8 ms
Panasonic 16 ms

The lower lag time probably makes blur from fast motion a non-issue. There is no consensus as opinions vary widely but there is a tendency leaning towards a "sweet spot." An example is the frequently recommended Panasonic TH42PX60U plasma. It has the better than average Panasonic performance. It was introduced last year @ $2500. It is now around $1400-1800.

Post Thanksgiving Black Friday special promotions put it around $1250 with some 1 or 2 day promotions as low as $999. Look for similar promotions close to Christmas & again just before Super Bowl Sunday.

One thing about prices of any TVs. They bounce around like gasoline prices. Price tags are not chiseled in granite. Department sales managers at big boxes like BB & CC can negotiate at any time. Shop armed with online & competitor price info. Ask dealers if they'll price match competitors. Polite but firm; after all it's only your money.

Cables: Don't listen to any bs about overhyped & overpriced "premium" cables. Sam's Club has Philips HDMI cables for $23 which function just fine. I've seen lower online.

That's a start. Run with it. Repost for opinions on specific comparisons.

Collapse -
and, oh

In reply to: OK, for starters

the Panny example is a 720p set, not the premium priced 1080i or p. Makers are pushing the newer 1080s, making the 720s even better value. Read posts for 1080 arguments. Serious gamers wanting the ultimate need 1080. Look for yourself in showrooms. The difference seeing 1080 vs. 720 is minor. 720 is considered HD along with 1080.

My 2 cents - it'd be 720p for me. Not that it may be you, but seems to me that around 42" is the new basically standard size, so to speak. They look huge for a around a year, then you adjust.

I have a smaller LCD & like it fine. For a primary set, I'd lean towards plasma now. Again, just opinion.
And that's from a guy whose primary set is a DLP - still the cheap way into HDTV. Then count on a $250-300 lamp every 4 or 5 years or so.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.