HolidayBuyer's Guide

Camcorders forum

General discussion

I need a HDD camcorder that exports in Mpeg not .Mov

by forcefx / August 14, 2007 5:56 PM PDT

Well my Mini Dv cam broke and I need a new camcorder.
I am really thinking about getting a HDD camcorder,but from what im readin of those when you transfer the files to PC are in .Mov format.
I don`t want to have to convert Mov files to Mpeg files before I can edit them.

So I wanted to know if there are any HDD camcorders that export to PC in Mpeg format..

I have seen searching the net for info,but can`t find much except for one line about some Sony HDDs that can do this.
But it didn`t say what models.
It also never says in the sepcs on the websites..

Please cnet gurus ,lead me to my dream cam co I can get to work on these video projects im behind on..

It would be a dream come true to just drag and drop mpge files right from my HDD to my video editor,no more capturing dv tape in real time,oh man I would be in heaven!!

So again to sum up this post I need to know if any HDDs out there can export in wav,not the dreaded mov!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need a HDD camcorder that exports in Mpeg not .Mov
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need a HDD camcorder that exports in Mpeg not .Mov
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ops
by forcefx / August 14, 2007 6:01 PM PDT

im sorry I mean

"So again to sum up this post I need to know if any HDDs out there can export in mpeg,not the dreaded mov!"

I wrote wav but ment to say mpeg

Collapse -
A couple things...
by whizkid454 / August 15, 2007 12:43 AM PDT

1) All Sony HDD camcorders I know of save the video files as MPEG2 using an .mpg extension. No conversion has to be made to edit the video, but you must have an editor that can handle MPEG2 files. (Movie Maker is not one of those editors.) JVC HDD camcorders use a proprietary .mod extension in which only JVCs included software may be used to edit. A conversion would be necessary in order to use the files in an editor. I'm not sure on the Panasonics since I haven't used them.

2) Question: How did you like the video quality from your miniDV camcorder? If you go HDD, would you be willing to sacrifice some quality for faster transfer speeds and not having to deal with tapes?

Collapse -
well
by forcefx / August 15, 2007 6:24 AM PDT
In reply to: A couple things...

I am willing to loose quality to save time.
I use pinnacle to make my tutorial dvds and i think it reads mpeg2.
But I really wanted just mpeg the windows movie makers will load..

What about avi is there any HDD cams that save in AVI?

Collapse -
Sorry but no.
by whizkid454 / August 15, 2007 8:44 AM PDT
In reply to: well

Your two options are:
1) Use the .mpg files in Pinnacle.
2) Convert the .mpg files to .avi and use in Movie Maker. Free conversion programs are everywhere. Hint: google.com. Remember, conversion degrades the video quality even more.

If I were in your shoes, I would choose Option 1 since Pinnacle is a much better editing software and I would retain the original quality.

Collapse -
mpeg cam models
by forcefx / August 15, 2007 12:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry but no.

can someone supply me with a list of HDD cams that can export in mpeg2 like you said.
I don`t want to order a sony online and it be the wrong one and have to pay a restock fee.

It sucks how they leave out what the file export format is in the product descriptions..

So ok from what I understand there is only Mov and Mpeg2 exporting HDD cams,can anyone else confirm this

Collapse -
Sorry if I wasn't clear.
by whizkid454 / August 15, 2007 12:29 PM PDT
In reply to: mpeg cam models
All Sony HDD camcorders save video in the MPEG2 format with a .mpg file extension.

Some easily accessible information to confirm:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=11039232 (look under the specifications tab)
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-DCR-SR100-Camcorder-Review/Format.htm
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-DCR-SR300-Camcorder-Review/Format.htm
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-DCR-SR80-Camcorder-Review/Format.htm

Could you inform me as to which camcorders record video using .mov? I know still cameras do with their video mode, but haven't seen that utilized in true camcorders.
Collapse -
the mov ones
by forcefx / August 16, 2007 10:10 AM PDT

I think all Panasonic and Cannon HDDs export to MOV

Collapse -
Let's clarify something first...
by whizkid454 / August 16, 2007 11:02 AM PDT
In reply to: the mov ones

.mov is a Quicktime extension. It is also an MPEG4 variant which is found on many still cameras.

I did some searching and found that the only HDD Canon camcorder is the HG10 which happens to only record in AVCHD, not SD. Video recorded using AVCHD is given the extension .m2ts which is not .mov. http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Canon-HG10-Camcorder-Review-33146/Format.htm

I also found that Panasonic's HDD camcorders record SD video in MPEG2 courtesy of Panasonic's website. http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail?surfModel=SDR-H200&catalogId=13401&cachePartner=7000000000000005702&modelNo=SDR-H200&itemId=110039&catGroupId=25002&surfCategory=Digital+Camcorders&cacheProgram=11002&storeId=15001&displayTab=S

So I guess neither Panasonic nor Canon "export" to .mov?

Sorry if I sound defeating, but I think we can now accept the fact that if you buy a SD HDD camcorder, the video it records will be MPEG2.

Collapse -
I could find no indication that Canon uses a MOV format
by Kiddpeat / August 16, 2007 11:02 AM PDT
In reply to: the mov ones

for recording. There aren't many HDD cameras to begin with in the Canon line up, and the specs for the one that I did find does not mention MOV files. That makes sense since Apple controls the MOV format.

I doubt that Panasonic does either for the same reason. If your files are being converted to MOV format, it's probably your software that's doing it.

Collapse -
Maybe what we have here is a failure to communicate...
by boya84 / August 16, 2007 2:27 PM PDT

A traditional "camcorder" is primarily a video recorder that captures to tape, hard drive, DVD or memory card in the formats indicated by whizkid454 and kiddpeat...

The cameras that capture .mov video motion clips in the manner specified by forcefx are actually considered still cameras by lots of folks - especially the regulars on this forum - not traditional "camcorders"...

I think all of you are correct - but you are speaking past each other about different technology types...

Forcefx, here are some which go straight to .avi:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=ModelTechSpecsTabAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=15207

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=ModelTechSpecsTabAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=14321

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=ModelTechSpecsTabAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=14903

And most of the PowerShot line...

The Panasonics tpically drop into QuickTime .mov format
http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail?surfModel=DMC-FX55K&catalogId=13401&cachePartner=7000000000000005702&modelNo=DMC-FX55K&itemId=134580&catGroupId=24999&surfCategory=Lumix%26reg%3B&cacheProgram=11002&storeId=15001&displayTab=S

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail?surfModel=DMC-FX33S&catalogId=13401&cachePartner=7000000000000005702&modelNo=DMC-FX33S&itemId=134584&catGroupId=24999&surfCategory=Lumix%26reg%3B&cacheProgram=11002&storeId=15001&displayTab=S

Kodaks do QuickTime .mov format, too...

http://kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=10685&pq-locale=en_US

http://kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=10002&pq-locale=en_US

Sony does some sort of mpeg, but I can't quite tell what "MPEG VX" is...

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665095067

But this is merely my opinion of the "issue"... forceFX, please specify - what sort of "camcorder" or video recording device are you really looking for?

Collapse -
Just to clarify (if that is possible).
by Kiddpeat / August 16, 2007 2:54 PM PDT

It looks like Panasonic uses the MJPEG format for the movies produced by its still cameras. I suspect that this is not quite the same as a MOV format although MOV apparently can contain a variety of formats.

Similarly, Kodak specifies an MPEG-4 format which appears, in Wikipedia anyway, to be distinct from a MOV format file.

Since I'm definitely not an Apple fan, I can't be sure of the above. However, if someone has additional info, I'm all ears.

Collapse -
Panasonics do record in MOV.
by whizkid454 / August 16, 2007 11:18 PM PDT

I own the Lumix FZ7 and my movie clips come out as MOV. Yes, MJPEG is still used, but the end result is MOV files.

Collapse -
I need a camcorder not camera
by forcefx / August 16, 2007 3:29 PM PDT

Ok I make tutorial dvds showing people how to use different peaces of equipment.
I need a camcorder ,since my mini Dv cam broke.
It was 4 years old.

I need something with good quality for HDD.
So far I am leaning to the Sony Handycam

Collapse -
Canon FS100 MPEG-2 Format
by allenzap / March 20, 2008 4:12 AM PDT

can somebody tell me wat format will canon fs100 SD camcorder record?

1. canon website says mpeg-2 but will the files be .mpg or .mov ?

2. will it have multiple files like canon dvd camcorders (video and audio seperate)?

Collapse -
what format?
by trax_hal / April 15, 2008 11:39 AM PDT

I just bought a canon fs100(not yet shipped), so I checked the internet for sample footage. It records to .mod but you can simply rename it to .mpg and it works. I downloaded some footage and tried it out. This would be in 4:3 format. 16:9 is apparently a different issue. It records to a single combined file.

Collapse -
MOD -mpeg-2
by joedmd / May 12, 2008 3:28 AM PDT
In reply to: what format?

I bought my fs100 yesterday, took a sample clip in widescreen (16:9)
it saved a mod file plus, if I remeber, an mio.
copied the MOD to my pc (XP) and it played in Media Player (could be bec. I have ffdshow) and nero, but would not play in VLC until I changed the extension to mpg.

On the mac it was a different story. After I changed the extension, Quicktime would play it, but I think tried to sqeeze it to 4:3 and no audio. VLC played in on the mac (of course)as did mplayer. Tried to import into iMovie and again no audio. I do have the QT mpeg-2 add on, but that didn't help.

For some reason, took a really long time to transfer the 40MB clip over usb 2 (No sdhc reader yet, and dell not providing any updates)
It took about 5 min to transfer.

Its a cute camera, though, I once I work out the format issue, I am sure it will be great.

Collapse -
Nope
by A_Str8 / April 17, 2008 6:45 AM PDT

I just got my fs100 today. There are no threads for filters.

There is a lens cover that closes when the power is off or not in a recording mode, so if you're just worried about protecting the lens, tehre shouldn't be much to worry about.

Collapse -
mpg kind of
by A_Str8 / April 17, 2008 6:50 AM PDT

AFAIK, mov would be mpeg-4

Anyway, the files are saved as .mod, but if you rename them to .mpg, they'll be recognuzed. Windows Media player seems to have issues with the video though. I haven't installed the included software on my PC yet, so I dunno if that helps.

VLC plays the video fine. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Collapse -
figured it out
by A_Str8 / April 17, 2008 2:39 PM PDT
In reply to: mpg kind of

I figured out why the files weren't playing in Windows Media Player. An MPEG2 decoder is not installed by default. If you have software to watch DVD's, that software should supply the proper decoder. If you don't have DVD software, or you do and video is still not showing up, you can use a free alternative: DScaler MPEG Filters. Google that phrase to find it.

Canon's supplied software plays the MPEG2 files back fine, and as I mentioned, so does VLC. If you're fine with those, then you don't need to bother with DScaler

Collapse -
sample files
by staypuffinpc / June 4, 2008 7:14 AM PDT

Folks, could I request a few sample files from those who have any of these camcorders (it needs to be a camcorder and not a camera). I need a camcorder that records to a format that is easily read into QT or another movie player without having to convert it or to download a certain codec on the computer. The reason is that we are doing some research that requires us to use a camcorder with a specific software tool, but many people (some non-tech savvy) will use the tool and we won't have personal control over their computers, to be able to download specific codecs, etc. It sounds like some Sony camcorders (e.g., DCR-SR42 30GB Handycam

Collapse -
Canon FS100 -audio quality in all modes, & import iMovie?
by philipjd / July 6, 2008 2:48 PM PDT

Am considering the Canon FS100 because its solid state, using it to archive music performances for school assessments - can compromise on video quality but not on audio. Interested in any user comments that might help. I need to use software to caption ID the performances -iMovie on my Mac. Any comments on the software interface? I like to "share" from iMovie to iPod -for student self-review purprses so hence favoring iMovie. I also need to make DVDs and use iDVD currently. Thanks.

Collapse -
My two cents...
by boya84 / July 6, 2008 11:05 PM PDT

Solid state - flash memory - is not an "archive" media. It is a short term storage media. MiniDV tap - digital tape - is an archive media.

If the camcorder - hence the camcorder's built-in mics - are planed to be within about 20 feet of the performer, then you will probably be OK. If the camcorder - hence the built in mics - are going to be located at the back of a room (more than 20 feet away), an external mic, closer to the performer is suggested. Since instruments and performers vary so much, it is also suggested that manual audio control be used - if very loud, the audio will clip and sound static-y or muddy. If very soft, the built in auto mic gain may kick in and a whooshing sound will be recorded.

If you go with flash memory or internal hard drive based media, you will need to download and install StreamClip
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/mpegstreamclip.html
to translate the MPEG2 file after copying over USB connection.

If you go with miniDV tape, connection is with a 4-pin (camera DV port) to 6-pin FireWire (I.LINK, DV, IEEE1394a cable connected to the Firewire400 port on your Mac.

Before you buy the camcorder you think you want, go to the manufacturer's web site, download and read the camcorder's manual. These can normally be found in the Support area - though Canon has a handy download link on the camcorder's product page.

Once the video (or still) is in iMovie, it becomes "iDVD compatible".

Collapse -
Next task -upgrade Qtime to incl MPEG2 player
by philipjd / July 7, 2008 10:58 AM PDT
In reply to: My two cents...

Thanks, I've previously used Sony Handycam Hi8 and Panasonic mini DV cameras,to firewire to mac, process in iMovie, make iDVD - archiving to DVD. I have a DI box that can be used for external mic, but mostly haven't needed this - have used PA systems with close microphones to boost the sound of classical guitarists and similar.
Now want to find out if solid state recording works with iMovie & iDVD using Canon FS100

I took my Mac Laptop to the Canon shop, tried the camera. .MOD suffix not recognised by any software in the Mac, tried changing suffix to .MPG - still no action, so used a USB SD card reader to import the Canon FS100 files to try at home with conversion software as you suggested. So far...

I've just downloaded streamclip, but need to buy MPEG2 player for my Quicktime before further progress seems possible.
Will keep you updated.
Thanks

Collapse -
looking for Camcorder - MOV
by bah7911 / March 30, 2010 6:38 AM PDT

Hi i'm looking for Camcorder which record in MOV format.
Thank you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.