Computer Help forum

I need a hand...

by samantha_grey / October 4, 2012 11:52 AM PDT

I'm planning to buy a laptop but I'm confused which one to choose. A lot of brands are available in the market, but I don't know which one is REALLY the best deal. Can you help me out? Share your thoughts. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need a hand...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need a hand...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Sadly the best is a moving target.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2012 1:08 PM PDT
In reply to: I need a hand...
Collapse -
Some help
by Jimmy Greystone / October 4, 2012 11:39 PM PDT

Some help...

Personally, I'd stay away from Acer and HP, which also includes Gateway, eMachines, and Compaq. Let these two companies fight over who's the bigger bottom feeder without you having to get caught in the middle.

Until the new "retina" models, I would have also said Apple, but no longer. Now everything is either soldered directly to the logic board (i.e. RAM) or is an expensive custom form factor like the SSD. Add to that several compromises made in the construction of the newer models, which only make it so any damage to the unit is likely to be much more serious than it might be for any other brand. Apple units are nice to look at, but they've gotten to the point where they're almost too fragile to actually use unless they're fixed in place. Plus there are basically NO upgrade options anymore. If 6-12 months down the road you find you need more RAM, you have to get a new logic board, you can't just pop in some new SO-DIMMs. And if you find yourself needing more storage space, your only option is to buy expensive custom form factor SSDs. You have to buy everything you might possibly need at the time of purchase.

Dell, Toshiba, and Asus tend to make up the solid middle of the road options. Not as cheap as HP or Acer, not as pretty as Apple, but they're generally solid units at a fair price as long as you stay away from the low end models. Just stay away from any so-called gaming laptop. The high end hardware in those units tends to lead to high failure rates.

Collapse -
Good info ...thanks for sharing. I try to avoid products I
by VAPCMD / October 5, 2012 11:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Some help

can't upgrade, fix, change the battery, etc., ... laptops excluded except for RAM and HDDs.

These new slim profile laptops remind me a little if the slimline or low profile PCs which everyone thought were so great until they realize the limitations on expansion, upgrades or getting replacement proprietary parts.

Collapse -
Hope Im not being too basic...
by zyvox100 / October 7, 2012 1:52 PM PDT

Think first and foremost what you want to use your laptop for: gaming/video editing/hidef tasks vs office based tasks/internet/basic stuff. Also in this initial consideration should be the need for portability - is this going to be a mostly mobile device or desktop replacement that won't stray far from an outlet.

Next think about what OS you want - windows or OSX. If you have an iPhone/iPad and want all your devices to sync up flawlessly, then you might want to go with a Mac. If you plan to use your laptop for business purposes and your employer uses mostly windows apps, then a PC might make more sense.

Then set the budget.

Next would be some hardcore research - just google and narrow your search to listings over the last year. Reviews of different models are pretty easy to find.

Just as an example, Im a gamer and I knew thats what I'd be using the laptop for. I also like to upgrade components over time. Jimmy was right about Macs, you can't expand/upgrade without buying an entirely new model. So I went with a large less portable power hungry Sager NP 9170 with a badass GPU - lasts about 1 hour on battery Devil . Had I wanted portability for primarily business use without any intentions of opening the hood to upgrade hardware - MacBook Air. Hope this helps!

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?