Mac Applications forum

General discussion

I need a graphic program...

by freighterman_1999 / January 30, 2007 7:39 AM PST

.... that does not create scratch files every time a folder is opened. If I want to open a folder with say 1500 photos with iPhoto, or one very similar to it, all the files are read into memory.

I got religion about a month ago and bought an iMac with a 24" screen and 2 GB's of memory. I thought this would be more than sufficient for my needs. I had a program running in XP that would take all the graphics in a folder and compress them into one file. This meant that 1500 jpeg files would be placed in a highly compressed format that would would be in the range 12 MB's. The photos would then load from this file. This was all done on a low end Dell PC with only 768 MB's of memory.

I only need a basic graphic program that will allow me to change brightness and contrast and rotate files; nothing fancy, but that does not create scratch files.

Any recommendations?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need a graphic program...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need a graphic program...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Scratch Files
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 30, 2007 8:49 AM PST

Preview does what you want, as does Graphic Convertor.

Memory really has nothing to do with the amount of space taken up by your photo's. The important thing is the amount of HD space that is required. 1500 photos in iPhoto would not really make a dent in the HD capacity of your 24" iMac, regardless as to the amount of RAM you had installed.

What was the name of the program that took all your photo's and compressed them into one file?

P

Collapse -
Scratch files
by freighterman_1999 / January 30, 2007 10:15 AM PST
In reply to: Scratch Files

I wasn't referring to the space on HD, which, as you point out, didn't make a dent, but rather to the mem, used by iPhoto. Loading these files utilized half a meg of memory without opening a file. After opening a few large files free mem. was under a 100 MB.

After completely closing program there was still a large abount of mem. allocated to wired, active and inactive mem., like 1.2 GB.

I rebooted system and find I am now only using 376.33 MB of system memory as I write this, with only terminal and Firefox open, compared with the 1.2 GB utilized prior to rebooting.

The XP program was Paint Shop Pro, which include a large number of features. It loaded all the files in a given directory from a .jbf file. I was running XP on a low end Dell PC with only 768 MB of memory and a 40 GB hard drive. I could open 50 windows without a problem, with other programs open at the same time.

I don't understand the meaning of wired, active and inactive mem., but when I see less than 100 MB of free mem. I don't feel all warm and fuzzy.

I don't want to go back to XP for graphics work, but I can't understand how the two OS systems of managing memory differ. I suspect XP was writing files to a swap file on the HD to conserve memory resources. Apparently OS X doesn't do this???

I guess I need a quick lesson on how OS X uses memory. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Memory
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 30, 2007 8:59 PM PST
In reply to: Scratch files

I'm not sure I can give you the ins and outs of how OS X handles memory but I will say that if you stop looking at the Memory indictors, your blood pressure will go down considerably.
Keep using the computer until it tells you that you have no memory left to play with and then start to worry. I have way more than 1500 pictures in iPhoto, have only 1.25 GB of memory and currently have iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD and Safari open and running. I'm working on a DVD project and took time out to check the forums.

Constantly looking at the indicators is rather like looking at that little gauge in the car that tells you how many miles you are getting to the gallon. Eventually you become fixated on it and your driving becomes based on it rather than the road conditions.

I'm sure someone will be along to explain the Memory workings of OS X. Oh yes, it does use a swap file, Virtual Memory, and will allocate memory dynamically.

P

Collapse -
I want to comment on memory use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2007 9:41 PM PST
In reply to: Scratch files

One of the best things for a program to do today is to exploit use of RAM. That is, go ahead and soak up memory to stay off the hard disk and kick up speed. I've chatted with other programmers and with the impetus on speed and functions they'll use RAM each time over a VM/scratch file.

Bob

Collapse -
Graphic Converter
by lampietheclown / February 19, 2007 2:25 AM PST

Graphic Converter
It's what you need. It's what everybody needs. Truly the Swiss Army Knife of graphics software. I've been using it for many years.
It crashed on me once about 6 months ago, and asked to send a report to the guy in Germany who writes it ( Thorsten Lemke). He e-mailed me back ten minutes later asking if I could reproduce the crash. I could, and explained what was causing it. Thirty minutes later he sent me a new version with the bug removed.

No, it wasn't a dream.

You can rotate from the slideshow, from the "browse folder" option, or from a single open file. it has two "brightness contrast" windows, simple and not so simple.
It will search multiple folders for duplicate files and return a result for over ten thousand jpgs in less than a minute.

I'm not sure if it's exactly what you mean, but you can create a quicktime movie from any slideshow, with audio, making one file out of many.

The free version has full functionality (but takes longer to open).

I'll give up my shift key before I'll trash Graphic Converter.

Rant over.

By the way, "inactive" memory is ram that was used, but has been released by whatever software used it. It is free memory, but has not been erased, in case the information is needed again. For example, if you open an application, some of it's code will be loaded into ram. when you quit the app., the ram is released, but not erased, so if you open the app. again, it should open faster the second time.

Lampie the Lemke shill

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?