Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

I need a Forum Help....forum.

by christy / February 23, 2006 5:02 PM PST

....As HTML is not supported at the forums, and BBS codes support is limited, how do I type something containing superscripts and subscripts, e.g. mathematical and scientific formulas, like ''y=x squared'', or ''H-two-O'' ? While y=x^2 and H2O respectively may be understood, how do I type in the ''real thing'' ? While it is not a problem typing them in MS Word, Copy and Paste from Word to the forum does not seem work.... BBS support for superscripts and subscripts, if available, would be something like ''y=x2'' and ''H2''O .... Where in the forum should I place the above problem ? There is no ''Forum Help'' forum. Thanks.

christy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need a Forum Help....forum.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need a Forum Help....forum.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) X= I don't know
by tomron / February 23, 2006 9:53 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: html codes
by Kees Bakker / February 23, 2006 10:02 PM PST

Christy,

As you say, the forum software to make html of what you type only offers limited tags (links, bold, italic: see http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7600_7-5565360-1.html?tag=dir.forum#html)
It's up to the forum engineers (paid by mr Lee Koo) to support more tags, like [font] or [tt] or [pre] or / (as you suggest). Scripts are considered dangerous, so won't be supported any way.

The ultimate limit (and definitely a challenge) would be support the full LaTex formatting language, but something with a little bit more formatting facilities than offered now seems feasible and could be added without harm, provided the management considers it worth the money. And i doubt if they do.

Anyway, this is the right forum for your question. Lee will read it, and probably add his own comments.

Kees

Collapse -
html codes
by taboma / February 24, 2006 2:14 PM PST
In reply to: Re: html codes

Kees, Good example. Special characters are not supported also. They come up as question marks and sometimes as black diamonds.
Mrmacfixit explained the black diamonds on the Mac Forum last week or so ago.
Here are a few special characters. Check them out in order?

? - ?-?-?-?-?-?-

Collapse -
Right forum:)
by Glenda / February 24, 2006 2:39 AM PST

This is the Forum Help Forum:)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.