Office & Productivity Software forum

Question

I need a Backup Utility with No User Setup necessary

by GeoJono / February 19, 2014 4:26 AM PST

Hello - I'm trying to find a backup utility that will backup a network drive to the local C: drive automatically, on a schedule, and silently.

It needs to be one that I can setup and export the settings, to import to the other computers. It should then be completely invisible to the users.

I looked at Comodo Backup. That would be perfect except that it doesn't provide a way to include the scheduling in the backup script. I don't want to have to setup the schedule on every computer individually, though if I can do that with a script that the user can just run once, that would be OK.

The resulting backup doesn't necessarily need to be easily opened in Explorer; the users will not be interacting with the backup itself.

The object is to backup each user's Home folder (a network folder) to their C: drive automatically without the user having to do anything. This is strictly a backup of the Home folder; not a working space for them.

If more questions need to be asked, please ask. I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks,
Jono

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need a Backup Utility with No User Setup necessary
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need a Backup Utility with No User Setup necessary
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
So far such would have to written by you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2014 4:40 AM PST

There are ways to do this if you are on Windows Server but your post doesn't reveal detail.

So let's go with this is a workplace. You have a Windows Server, Active Directory and want it to be auto everything.

Good. Do that with your login script. Plenty of web pages and fine books so we're done.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. let's not forget the old one liner.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2014 4:52 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?