Mac OS forum

General discussion

I mac freeze up

by bjc6060 / September 6, 2008 7:24 AM PDT

I been freezing more and more lately
It takes just a few mins to freeze up

I went to Apple store genius bar--- all their test on hard drive ETC, tested out well.
The Genius Guy still thinks it could be the hard drive or logic board.
memory 512 mb
Processor 1.9 GHS power PC 5 model 12.1 power mac Imac G5

Does anybody have the same problems

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I mac freeze up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I mac freeze up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
As the machines get old? Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2008 7:33 AM PDT
In reply to: I mac freeze up

I usually change what they advise me to. Be sure to weigh replacement cost vs. repair costs.

Collapse -
iMac G5
by tleMega / September 6, 2008 8:15 AM PDT
In reply to: I mac freeze up

Your iMac is nearing 3 years old, come October. PowerPC Macs have been known to have logic board failures, so if that is the case, then you are stuck. A logic board replacement could cost from $500 to well over $1000. For that price, you could get a bigger and better iMac with an Intel CPU.
If the hard drive is acting up, I would suggest wiping/replacing it if possible. My friend has a pre-iSight G5, and he told me that you can easily take the back off and remove any parts you want to. From pictures I've seen, getting in there and swapping the drive isn't too hard. With this in mind, you'd only have to find a compatible hard drive to stick in there. Of course, if the drive is working fine, don't go this route.

You could attempt to upgrade the RAM and clean up your hard drive to improve performance. RAM isn't too hard to get these days. The G5s support up 2.5GB I think, so throwing a 2GB stick in there will help some. If your hard drive is full, removing old, unnecessary files may speed things up a bit. But, if you choose to reinstall the system, you could just save your critical programs and data and drag them back onto the disk later on.

What system are you running on it anyway? If you are using Leopard (OS 10.5), the poor performance isn't surprising, even though G5 Macs are supported. The friend I mentioned installed Leopard on his G5, but has decided that Tiger may be a better choice; he uses it for recording and his recording software and products will not run on it. Performance is sluggish as well, if I remember right. If you are using Tiger (OS 10.4), then maybe the machine is at fault. Tiger should run fine on it. Let us know how you get on.

-BMF

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.