Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

I'm using an old tired monitor the display of which is

by Ziks511 / April 5, 2005 4:31 PM PDT

growing fainter and greyer by the day. We're short of funds at the moment,though we will be replacing it in about 3 to 6 months. Is there anything which can be done to increase the brightness and the contrast beyond what I've already done with the two knobs available? (They're both at max)

Rob Boyter

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'm using an old tired monitor the display of which is
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'm using an old tired monitor the display of which is
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not really...
by Willy / April 5, 2005 10:55 PM PDT

No correction can be made w/o some repair. Since that costs thought you're able. I suggest try to find a replacement ASAP, maybe check your local Goodwill or S.Army shops for a used one. Also, if funds are real tight its possible and lucky to cruise on some streets on before trash day, what some people consider trash to dump older CRTs to the curb/trash bin area. Never know what you can find.

tada Happy -----Willy

Collapse -
Not really..
by jcrobso / April 6, 2005 5:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Not really...

Only controls on the inside that a service man would use.
One my stories, This older couple that I was servicing there computer found a 19" monitor that one of their nieghbors had thrown out. It was to big for their desk so they gave it to me for payment. So look around who knows what you may find. John

Collapse -
Ouch factor
by Willy / April 6, 2005 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Not really..

YES, you can tweek the insides but I thought it would last long after that. Its already on its last legs and further tweeking would certainly doom it, and it won't last the months expected of it. Maybe a while longer, but that's a call the owner has to made and I found it to be a true last resort only for a week or so until a replacement is had. PLus, there is a danger factor some people find the hard way, thus leave it alone.

tada Happy -----Willy

Collapse -
If you could find a way to increase
by Ray Harinec / April 5, 2005 11:41 PM PDT

the filament voltage on the CRT it could help. The cathode has gotten poisoned such that it can't emit as many electrons as when it was new.

If you have a variac you might increase the AC voltage to the monitor, but of course that will raise all of the voltages. The regulated voltages may hold for some amount of voltage increase.

Collapse -
caution, 14,000v or more inside...
by reefurbb / April 6, 2005 10:43 PM PDT

on the pic tube hv lead, acts like a capacitor and takes awhile to leak off.
Electronics supply shops or tv repair shops may still carry "picture tube brighteners" but may cost as much as a good used monitor. All they do is increase filament volts above 6.3v
Or, inside, there is a larger black HV transformer where the main lead goes to the pic tube. On one side (usually) are two knob adjustments, usually fixed against vibration by hot glue or silicon. One adjusts the HV focus, the other adjusts volts going to the brightness grid of the pic tube. You can't increas contrast but you can adjust more brightness into the scene, a brighter but more faded picture.
I've done this to a few that had ok contrast but ran out of brightness adjustment.
Note, if the sides of the screen are pulled in, won't adjust out, then capacitors in the HV circuit are getting too old. No easy deal to figure out which ones. Replacements are cheap however.

Popular Forums

Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions


Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!