Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Question

I'm unable to uninstall the Whitesnake Toolbar, any advice?

by flipflop1982 / July 12, 2013 11:48 AM PDT

Hi!
I just wrote this post and submitted it but it seems to have disappeared. Edit: I just attempted to submit the post again and it won't let me. So, I switch over to Internet Explorer.

Anyhoo-
I got a prompt last night that I needed to update my version of Google Chrome. I installed the update and then of course had a couple of extra things installed with it that I didnt realize I was agreeing to.

Those included the Conduit Toolbar, the 24/7 Help Desk and the Whitesnake toolbar.

I was able to successfully uninstall Conduit and 24/7 HelpDesk (at least I think I did) by using the Advance Uninstaller Pro.

I attempted to do the same thing with the Whitesnake crap but it is still here, slowing down my computer and is no longer visible on the unistall a program list.

This is obviously a freaking malware or whatever it is called.

I am so upset because I have SO much work to do online tonight and this stupid thing is slowing down my computer. And I am afraid its a virus.

Can anyone tell me what this thing is and what all hoops I am going to have to jump through to get rid of it?

I am nearly in tears. I cannot afford a new hard drive on this computer.

Praying I am not screwed.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Oh and I am using Windows 7 on an Acer Aspire 5750

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'm unable to uninstall the Whitesnake Toolbar, any advice?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'm unable to uninstall the Whitesnake Toolbar, any advice?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
UPDATE
by flipflop1982 / July 12, 2013 11:54 AM PDT

I am downloading malwarebytes (I already used up the trial version earlier this year and didn't know they had a free version) Hopefully it will work.

I will post with an update.

In the mean time, any suggestions are welcome!! : )
thanks

Collapse -
Malwarebytes did not remove it
by flipflop1982 / July 12, 2013 2:16 PM PDT
In reply to: UPDATE

I perform a full malwarebytes scan that took an hour. It found 9 threats. I removed them and restarted my computer. Opened Chrome and the Whitesnake toolbar is still there.

Also, I mentioned earlier that I uninstalled the conduit toolbar, however it is the default search engine when I opened Internet Explorer. It is also not displayed on the list of programs.

Should I uninstall and re-install Chrome?

What should I do now?

Collapse -
Try this
by Blue_Zee / July 12, 2013 6:59 PM PDT

AdwCleaner should do it:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Run it by clicking the Search button. Close the Notepad log that will popup at the end.
Now click the Delete button and restart the PC when asked to.
On restart it will create a new log with the actions taken.

See if this helps.

Collapse -
I'm in agreement with Blue_Zee
by Carol~ Moderator / July 13, 2013 4:31 AM PDT

AdwCleaner should do the job!

IF it fails to, see if anything in this removal guide might help. AdwCleaner is also recommended as one of the removal tools. Hopefully, it will complete the job without having to take any further steps.

Best of luck..
Carol

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!