Speakeasy forum

General discussion

I'm trying to remember a book/author ...

by Bill Osler / December 13, 2008 4:07 AM PST

Once upon a time I read a science fiction story about a man more-or-less marooned in a star system where the planets were named things like Witch, Warlock, Wizard. There were some magical/fantasy elements but it was mostly a science fiction story. For some reason I've been trying to remember that story (perhaps because I've been some older SF recently?). I think that there may have been a series of 2 or 3 books written with that same character in the same system but I'm not sure.

Does the story ring any bells for anybody?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'm trying to remember a book/author ...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'm trying to remember a book/author ...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) sorry, sounds like every fantasy sci-fi out today.
by James Denison / December 13, 2008 4:33 AM PST
Collapse -
Andre Norton?
by James Denison / December 13, 2008 4:37 AM PST
Collapse -
I think so ...
by Bill Osler / December 13, 2008 4:44 AM PST
In reply to: Andre Norton?
Storm over Warlock sounds familiar, and I know I read some of the other titles by Andre Norton.

Sci Fi Fantasy is not my favorite genre. I don't know why I remember that particular story.

Thanks.
Collapse -
I read a lot of her stuff years ago
by James Denison / December 13, 2008 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: I think so ...

but didn't remember those particular ones. Read all the Silverberg, Norton, Lester del Rey, Asimove, the guy who did Milleniums Children (can't recall his name at the moment), and some others popular in the 50-70's. Sometime about '75 just fell out of the habit of reading sci-fi. I used to get those Argosy and Saga magazines too, lol. I wish I'd saved them, they've turned out to be collector items. Those were all the next step up from comic books while growing up.

Collapse -
"Milleniums Children"
by drpruner / December 13, 2008 5:17 AM PST

sounds like some stories I read years ago- James Blish?- about Earth scientists who crashed on a planet. They had no way of getting back, so they left their cells in a tidal pool, to evolve over time. As they evolved, the little creatures would read what was left of the etched metal plates their ancestors left for instructions. These were, of course, their "scriptures". The story I remembered had them discovering they could survive out of the water.
Very well developed.

Collapse -
it's free from Gutenberg
by jonah jones / December 13, 2008 4:58 AM PST
In reply to: Andre Norton?
Collapse -
I saw that ...
by Bill Osler / December 13, 2008 5:15 AM PST

Unfortunately I find it annoying to sit and read a computer screen for long periods of time.

I think the longest piece I've ever read online was "Ender's Game" (the original novelette/short story)

Collapse -
Interesting
by James Denison / December 13, 2008 7:23 AM PST
In reply to: I saw that ...

When I read a book I start falling asleep, so I prefer to read online, it doesn't have the same effect.

Collapse -
Norton yes, but more fantasy than fiction I think
by Roger NC / December 13, 2008 10:08 PM PST

Storm over Warlock was SciFi, and there were at least 2 more related books I believe, but I recall no man stranded there. In either the second or third one there was a woman who escaped from some capture on Warlock I believe.

But Norton's series about The Witch World may be more likely your memory. One earth man goes through a gate of time and space to escape from people hunting him and ends up there. Women called witches have powers. He helps their group fight off enemies that are more science than magical.

He marries one of them, and against all custom she doesn't lose her power afterwards. They have triplets, unheard of in that world. Two sons and a daughter who grow to become a warrior, a warlock, and a witch or sorceress (the two are somehow slightly different in the powers they call on, and some can use both).

Those three travel, and get caught up in an ancient Battle of Dark and Light.

There are at three different cycles or series about the Witch World.

Escarp cycle, High Halleck cycle, The Turning.

Coincidently, I'm just reading the Escarp cycle now. I've read most of her books before, but there are a few here and there in different series I never read. I'm trying to reread the series and catch the ones I missed before. Unfortunately for people trying to do it without buying them, it's probable that few libraries will have all of them, particularly the older ones. In fact, some are out of print and may be difficult to find at all. The Science Fiction Book Club has reprinted some of her's a couple of years ago, but still many are rare finds.

A list of the books of The Witch World .

Norton wrote many others, here is an official website , but there are many fan sites as well.

We have at least a couple of dozen of her books ourselves, and have bought some books by newer writers that continue one series or the other of hers with her, and later her estate's, permission. Indeed, a couple of the sequels were published as collaborations, then continued after her death by the collaborator.

Roger

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.