Video Cameras forum

General discussion

i'm so confused.......

i have a sony analog video camera. i want to get something that i can transfer to my pc and edit in pinnacle studio 11. i want something that i can use for sporting events, parties, inside w/normal lighting, outside in bright sunlight, scenery and vacation shooting. don't want tapes. mid range price $600-$800. in reading information, i see that it is a waste of money to get an HD camcorder if you don't have HD tv. the new format will be digital, NOT HD. soooo, if i don't need HD, what is the best camcorder to get? i will be editing and burning to dvd's. not sure what else you would need to know. if i get an HD camcorder will i be able to burn cd's with a dvd burner? let me know if you want any more information.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: i'm so confused.......
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: i'm so confused.......
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you sure you do not want HD?

In reply to: i'm so confused.......

>> i want something that i can use for sporting events, parties, inside w/normal lighting,
When shooting in low (ie normal inside) lighting the bigger the lens the better. It is just plain physics. I would check out any Tiny lens consumer camera before I purchased it. Realize that most stores have rather bright lighting.

>>outside in bright sunlight, scenery and vacation shooting. don't want tapes. mid range price $600-$800....
90% of consumer tapeless cameras are NOT High Def (HD). Many hard drive cameras (HDD) are not HD.

>>i see that it is a waste of money to get an HD camcorder if you don't have HD tv...
I disagree. I prefer a high quality ORIGINAL so that as my equipment (TV, DVD Recorders/Blu Ray) gets better in the future then my old originals will still look great. I believe everyone will have HD TV sooner or later. HD is mostly available on MiniDV (tape) so perhaps this is not an option for you anyway. Still, I transitioned to HD about one year ago (both TV and camera). My family likes our home videos so much better!

>> ...if i get an HD camcorder will i be able to burn cd's with a dvd burner?
I can't speak for PC's here, but my new iMovie has a great feature where I can strip the audio off of movies and create mp3 and CD files. If on the other hand you meant "will I be able to burn DVD's with a DVD burner?......I found on a PC it is possible but too difficult for me. I never did get Pinnacle to work well for me but perhaps you are much smarter than I was.

I finally broke down and switched to an iMac/iMovie/iDVD combination (all included with the new mac). Everything now seems practical, not just possible. I edit video for DVD's and create both DVD's and CD's with the results. Currently my home made DVD's (readable in any player) are not HD. I send standard definition to the family but watch the HD from my camera at home.

Note: As of today, there is no inexpensive easy way to backup HD video other than maybe miniDV tapes. If you shoot a fair amount and want to leave it on your PC it takes up a TON of space.

An alternative the the Mac/PC route is just to purchase a DVD player/recorder and just output straight from your originals through the analog ports to your DVD recorder. Not quite the finesse as editing in the computer BUT the technical hurdles seem smaller.

I hope I did not create more questions than I answered! Happy

Jim

Collapse -
thanks jim

In reply to: Are you sure you do not want HD?

so, you think an hd recorder is ok? i have the specs on my computer on my profile. is it enuff to handle hd? i don't have an hd tv and probably won't be getting one in the near future. the reviews i have read have been kind of warning about the need for a powerful system to do hd. maybe i am missing the point all together. i don't want to get something then have to buy 10 other things so i can use it. like an hd player, new tv, new computer, hd writer, etc. i have satelite tv right now in my rv and i live in it. if i get hd, i have to get a whole new satelite system installed which is way more than i want to do right now. do you have a camcorder that you might recommend??

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.