General discussion

I'm running too many anti-spyware, anti-virus programs...

My son says that the reason my PC is slow is because I have too many anti-virus and anti-spyware programs running all the time.

I use a PC with Windows XP - SP3 and I connect via cable modem using Mozilla Firefox 5.0. I currently have installed:

AVG
Avast
Ad-Aware
Super Antispyware
Spyware Blaster
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Avira Anti Virus

(Now that I've compiled the list, it DOES look like there may be too many...)

I use my PC for my home-based business as well as for personal work, so I don't want to take any chances, as you can see. I back up files regularly so I'm not worried about losing those; it's just the pain of having to get rid of the problem, reinstall all the software I use for my work, etc. I'd rather avoid having problems.

I would appreciate your advice as to which ones I could remove and still have good protection. BTW, all were free downloads from CNET
(thank you!) except Super Antispyware which I downloaded as free and then paid to upgrade it.

Thanks in advance... I always get great help and advice from CNET Forum members!

Ellie

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: I'm running too many anti-spyware, anti-virus programs...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: I'm running too many anti-spyware, anti-virus programs...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Only One Antivirus At a Time

Avira, AVG, and Avast are all antivirus programs which are running real-time in the background. It's your choice as to which one to leave installed but you need to uninstall all but one of those programs. Leave only one of those three.

Since Ad-Aware, the free version, is not one of the latest and greatest tools for removing spyware, you should uninstall it and leave only the paid SuperAntispyware program on the machine. The "paid" version of SuperAntispyware provides active detection of incoming spyware threats and is an excellent tool. If you're using the free version of Malwarebytes, you might choose to leave it on the computer because it doesn't run real-time in the background but for most users, the "paid" version of SuperAntispyware along with one of the antivirus programs above should be fine.

Spyware Blaster is a slightly different type of tool which should work fine as long as there is only one antivirus program and one antispyware running real-time. Still, it may not be necessary because SuperAntispyware should be protecting your computer from the same items as Spyware Blaster.. Personally, I would remove Spyware Blaster as well, but it probably won't hurt anything to leave it running. Your choice.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Thanks, Grif!

Hi, Grif!

Thank you so much for not only giving me some answers but also an explanation of why I should or shouldn't remove things. Those things that "run in the background" always confuse me and I always wonder if I remove any of them, will that mess up something else running in the background. So I let them all keep running...

I'll review your recommendations and then remove some of those programs. I hate to have to admit my son was right, though...

Thanks again!

Ellie

CNET Forums

Forum Info