Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I'm running 640MB of RAM on XP. Who's running more?

by Pretender / December 9, 2003 8:48 AM PST

I'm interested in finding out who is running the highest amount of RAM on Windows XP and if they have experienced any special circumstances or needed to make any special adjustments to their system. So what have you got?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'm running 640MB of RAM on XP. Who's running more?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'm running 640MB of RAM on XP. Who's running more?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:I'm running 640MB of RAM on XP. Who's running more?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2003 8:52 AM PST

After finding little payback at 1GB and 2GB, I now have just 512M in the machine. I think the DVD encoding takes about 5 minutes longer over 3 hours.

There's no big payoff on this one...

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:I'm running 640MB of RAM on XP. Who's running more?
by Yew / December 9, 2003 10:50 AM PST

That's because video encoding is a processor intensive task far more than it is a memory intensive one. Video encoding is a constant stream of new data, none of which is going to be recycled. The only thing that's going to help speed that up is raw processor performance. Be it the raw clock speed of the P4, or the more data per clock cycle method of the Athlon, RAM has little effect on video encoding.

Now, for something like game playing or some other task where data is going to be reused quite often, extra memory often makes a bigger difference than a bump in CPU speed.

Collapse -
Re:I'm running 640MB of RAM on XP. Who's running more?
by NonSuch / December 9, 2003 1:12 PM PST

XP Home with 1G RAM, 3.06 GHz processor, 120 G HDD. No special circumstances or adjustments.

Collapse -
Re: I'm running 640MB RAM on XP. Who's running more?
by phantazy / January 12, 2005 2:21 PM PST

Running 1.2 GB 400 DDR RAM on Athlon XP 3000 on Asus A78NX, with 160 and 80 GB hard disks. Originally I had just 512, but found WinDVD Intervideo crashed without more RAM. Added 1 stick 512, but still think I have 256MB too much.

Collapse -
I'm running 640MB of RAM on XP. Who's running more?
by dawillie / December 9, 2003 2:25 PM PST

was runnning 1025MB RAM on an Athlon XP 2400+ and dropped it back to 768MB.

no discernible difference.

start up and re boot still at around 41 sec.

am able to burn CD and download from WinMX, at the same time or go to a Java site, read email, or any other combination.

david williams

Collapse -
Ram
by whatsittoya / January 11, 2005 9:32 PM PST

im running Xp Pro...I have 1.5gb ram..
I play graphic intense 3d games...lots of ram helps for this.
I also run a 256mb graphics card..

Collapse -
2GB Ram, 3.06 P4, 220 GB HD
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 12, 2005 7:38 AM PST

Stepping up from an HP 500 Mhz Celeron with 64MB Ram and 20GB HD, I decided I needed to do better with the Dell.

Mark

Collapse -
Running 512MB, so far don't need more....
by John Robie / January 12, 2005 8:33 AM PST

Realize you are asking for info on more than 640MB, but just for those that have less, thought I would throw in my comments.

In observing many post in CNet and ZDNet help forums for several years, depending on the age and power of a computer, over 512MB of RAM can cause problems, more often in gaming. It doesn't seem to have problems in modern powerful computers, but still guru's will suggest reducing RAM to 512MB to solve many problems.

High MB's of RAM is suggested for professionals and developers with graphic intensive systems/programs. Spielberg would want a lot in his computers.

I have been running some recent powerful games like Doom 3, all the different variations of Medal of Honor and Call of Duty, Far Cry, Halo, Half Life 2, etc.. with 512MB RAM very well. If I would participate in competition gaming, then would want a $5000/7000 computer with high end RAM.

Collapse -
784 MB
by diceman / January 12, 2005 8:47 AM PST

I just upgraded my ram from 256 to 784. I am running a soyo MOBO with a 2.4Ghz P4. No problems whatsoever.

Collapse -
running 1.6 GB RAM on XP
by Rocinante5 / January 12, 2005 2:05 PM PST

custom built this setup 15 months ago.
motherboard 2.8 GHz front bus 800 MHZ. 160GB main hard disk.
Primary need is for graphics (Photoshop CS); run scratch-disk on 40 GB secondary drivr BUSLink.
No special capacity/speed problems to date.

Collapse -
RE: I'm running 640MB of RAM on XP. Who's running more?
by mid-night1995 / April 19, 2011 10:38 AM PDT

I am running windows 7 professional with 16 gb ram, 22 TB HDD (2 TB internal, 20 TB external) 3.0 Ghz processor.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.