Computer Help forum

General discussion

I'm pulling my hair out here...help!

by jkapple / March 2, 2006 5:39 AM PST

I'll try to make a long story as short as possible...

My mom was having trouble with her PC, an HP running Windows XP. I don't know what led up to it, but by the time I got there it wouldn't reboot. It would just show a message "We apologize for the inconvienience but windows did not start successfully..." and then options for safe mode, last known good configuration, etc., none of which would work.

So I got her HP System Restore discs and tried to reinstall everything.

About halfway through the restore process, I got this error message;

"Problem in extracting process:
File: WINDOWS\Help\SBSI\Training\WXPPer\Content\Wave\U1L 1Fe.wav"

I clicked "ok" and then I got the blue screen...

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen..."

etc etc

So I called HP Tech Support and they walked me through reformating the HD, thinking that would solve the problem.

Then I tried the restore discs again and I got to about the same place in the process and then got this error message;

"Problem in extracting process:
File: WINDOWS\Help\SBSI\Training\WXPPer\Content\Lib\L16_ C.LDZ"

The computer is not under warranty, so HP isn't going to help anymore.

I have no way of *knowing* that the restore discs are good. And if it's a hardware issue, how can I narrow it down and find out what's going on so I know what to replace? Or should I just take the entire thing to a pro?

At this point I am just completely in over my head and don't know what to try next.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'm pulling my hair out here...help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'm pulling my hair out here...help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
could be a bad hdd...
by engineer331 / March 2, 2006 6:16 AM PST

My computer recently suffered a hard drive failure. While the drive was in the process of failing, Windows would blue screen, often with the "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" error. Since you had problems copying two different files, it could be that there's nothing wrong with the CDs; the problem could be the HDD.

Collapse -
how can I know for sure?
by jkapple / March 2, 2006 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: could be a bad hdd...

is there some kind of diagnostic I can run to find out for sure?

Collapse -
you might want to try...
by engineer331 / March 2, 2006 7:19 AM PST

I'm not really sure. You might want to try the Seagate Seatools (I'm pretty sure they work for all hard drives, not just Seagate's). I really haven't used them too much, but they might be useful.

Also, when using your hard drive, is it louder than normal? If so, that is often a sign that it's on it's last legs.

Collapse -
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
by Cursorcowboy / March 2, 2006 8:45 PM PST

1. From what I read in your message, neither of the two errors appear critical unless they point to hardware change(s) on the box which the HP Restore isn't aware of -- at least for reinstalling the software. What if anything has changed on that box since the restore disks were issued?

2. The received "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" error is explained in these two references and you'll also find instructions for stripping down the box to the minimum requirements to boot cleanly:

a. "How to Use Driver Verifier to Troubleshoot Windows Drivers (Q244617)."

b: "Troubleshooting a Stop 0x0000000A error in Windows XP (Q314063)."

Note: Don't ask me why there could be a change to the drivers since the original HP issue since the only way you or I would know is whether something in the box died or was fooled with either by somebody or an infection of some sort perhaps.

Collapse -
Those extracting errors are...
by Edward ODaniel / March 3, 2006 3:23 AM PST

commonly caused by problems with the DC or the CD reader.

By any chance is the CD reader you are using a combo DVD/CD? They are notoriously bad about restoring or installing from CD.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?