Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

I'm losing Time

by lriecks / September 21, 2008 9:14 AM PDT

For some reason I lose one hour two or three times a day on my computer clock. Can anybody help me out?

LaRue

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'm losing Time
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'm losing Time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Replace the CMOS battery. Google.
by Coryphaeus / September 21, 2008 9:19 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm losing Time
Collapse -
As previously mentioned...
by glenn30 / September 21, 2008 9:32 AM PDT

it is most likely the internal battery. Most common place to find it is on or near the motherboard. Is most often about the size of a nickel or quarter coin and cheap to buy at most any store selling batteries.

Check your manual for the battery number or through manufacturer online support for your make and model computer.

I would not remove the old battery until ready to install the new replacement... don't know for sure but some setting could be lost if left out for some length of time.

Glenn

Collapse -
Another Item To Check...
by sunwatcher / September 21, 2008 9:22 PM PDT

You didn't say what OS you are using, but your time zone might be set incorrectly, causing your computer's time to lose an hour when synchronizing with an NTP server. On Windows XP for example, you can check this by clicking on the time in the tool bar and checking your settings.

Collapse -
check your CMOS
by GENE8 / October 3, 2008 5:37 PM PDT

It looks like your CMOS battery is dying. It needs replacing.

Collapse -
Back-up your BIOS settings first!
by ebbtides / October 4, 2008 12:46 AM PDT

Yes, you can change the suspect low battery that powers your BIOS; but FIRST, BE SURE TO BACK-UP YOUR BIOS SETTINGS! Once that old battery is removed all previous settings will disappear. Simply putting in a new replacement battery won't do the trick; once you have the new battery in place, then your old BIOS settings will need to be restored!

Collapse -
BIOS might not be lost
by GENE8 / October 4, 2008 3:51 AM PDT

Removing the battery does'nt necessarily mean that the BIOS settings will be lost if no back up is made first. It depends on the amount of time that goes by when the battery is removed and a new one is put in. If the replacement is done quick enough, then no settings will be lost. And besides, if the Real Time Clock is losing time, then that means that the BIOS settings are probably being lost already. Its better to just make a record of the BIOS settings first before replacing the battery, instead of backing up. That way if the BIOS is lost, all settings can be re-entered manually.

Collapse -
Never had a problem...
by glenn30 / October 4, 2008 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: BIOS might not be lost

but the battery was removed and replaced immediately. The bios should hold for a few minutes. Just be sure you have the correct battery so it can be installed promptly. Battery number is on the old one if you can see it... otherwise check your manual or manufacturer support for that model computer.

Glenn

Collapse -
Can you post your specs?
by ecmorgan69 / October 5, 2008 3:41 AM PDT

(a) How old is your machine?
(b) How much RAM do you have?
(c) What OS are you using?
(d) Does the clock in Windows (assuming it's Windows) revert to the accurate time after a reboot? Not a silly question, by the way because I've seen this phenomenon before...

Collapse -
Specs
by lriecks / October 5, 2008 5:03 AM PDT

I have a sony vaio vcg-10ag it is 3 years old,igig ram,using windows xp media center. speed 1.3ghz. No the clock does not reset to correct time upon reboot. It loses exactly one hour and is easily corrected by using time/date control panel

Collapse -
One Hour Loss
by sunwatcher / October 5, 2008 10:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Specs

If it's losing <i>exactly</i> one hour each time, then this is more likely a problem with your time zone or daylight saving settings. Check those for correct settings in the control panel.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Things to try
by PudgyOne / October 5, 2008 7:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Specs

Make sure that your computer hs all the Windows Updates.

Double click on the clock, click on time zone and make sure the correct time zone is selected. If you cant the clock to change automatically for the time change, check the box.

Now make sure the time is set correctly by using internet time.

Rick

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?