General discussion

I'm looking for suggestions on upgrading my audio system

I currently I have a Sony HTDDW790 and I need to upgrade it before the Maywether vs Mosely fight. When I bought this system, my living was about 150-200sqft and now my livingroom ( new home) is roughly 400sqft. I'm looking to spend in the neighborhood of 300-500$ I'm looking for my front speakers and subwoofer to be a little louder. Can I get by with spending all my money on a very good reciever (Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, etc.) and then connect it to the speakers that came with my current system, go with another HT in a box?

Any suggestions?

PSI'm looking to get 1 on the following recievers to connect to the speakers that I currently have (until I get some better speakers of course)

Pioneer VSX-920-K (I don't know when this model will be released)
Onkyo TX-SR607
Sony STR-DN1000

I would put the VSX-1020 on the list, but from what I see, the additions to the 1020 don't serve any purpose for me.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: I'm looking for suggestions on upgrading my audio system
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: I'm looking for suggestions on upgrading my audio system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Problem

I do not believe your current speakers from your Sony system would be compatible with the receivers you've listed unfortunately. YMMV.

Dollar for dollar, Onkyo presents a very strong value.- even their HTIB systems. Sony is a little overpriced IMHO and E. That particular Pio should perform well too. You would also need to spend more on speakers- ideally, more than the receiver since speakers are the most important part of an audio system.

If possible, I'd budget a little more $$ for separates. Boxing matches certainly do not require high audio fidelity. Grab a budget receiver and in a year, find some 5.1 speakers & sub that fit your budget at that time. Paradigm makes some nice affordable ones that Amazon carries. Heck, rent a surround system for the night just to tide you over. Maybe a friend would split the cost with you. I've done it before when we needed something for the kids to use when the adults were monopolizing the primary HT equipment at a new homeowner welcome to the neighborhood party Wink.

- Collapse -
What about these

what about these:

subs
Amazon.com: BIC America F12 12-Inch 475-Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer: Electronics

Amazon.com: BIC America V-1220 12-Inch 430-Watt Down-Firing Powered Subwoofer: Electronics

Amazon.com: Dayton SUB-120 HT Series 12" 150 Watt Powered Subwoofer: Electronics

speaker systems:
Onkyo SKS-HT870

Energy RC-Micro 5.1

Onkyo SKS-HT540

Damn! The Onkyo SKS-HT870 has an impedance of 6ohm. That would be great for my current setup, but I plan on getting The Pioneer VSX-920-K or vsx-1020 which is rated at 8ohm. I like the tower look on the SKS-HT870
The onkyo-sks-ht540 is 8ohm which would allow me to upgrade to the vsx 920, but it doesn't have the tower speakers.

- Collapse -
A 12" powered sub for that kind of money means some
- Collapse -
What about the other two

So what do you think about the
Onkyo SKS-HT870
Onkyo SKS-HT540

- Collapse -
The Energy Micro 5.1 will give you the best sound.

But you'll need to get an amp too pushing the total price to 1200-1300.

Onkyo's have always been my go-to HTIB recommendation because they give you a real honest to goodness AV receiver with their packages so at least you can upgrade the speakers or receiver should you ever want to. If you had to choose, I'd go with the 870 if you can't afford the Energy.

- Collapse -
Use my current AV receiver

It was recommended to focus on upgrading the speakers right now. What ever speakers I get will be use with the AV receiver that came with my Sony HTDDW790. I will then get the Pioneer VSX-920-K or the 1020-K. Some people have stated that most AV receivers have an option to set the impedance to 6 or 8ohmns, is this true? It has also been stated that running a good receiver at a 6ohm load won't hurt as long as its not cranked up for longs periods of time which is absurd given that movies generally last for 1hr 30min. Do you believe the Energy's are better than the Onkyo's?

- Collapse -
I just can't take the chance

You know, since I'll be getting the pioneer vsx 920-k, I just can't take a chance on the Onkyo SKS-HT870 due to the 6ohm impedance. what about Harman/Kardon HKTS 18. Only 4 days until the fight.

CNET Forums

Forum Info