Phones forum

General discussion

I'm looking for a truly waterproof cellphone

by CetunH / September 8, 2012 9:05 AM PDT

I'm looking for a truly waterproof cellphone, and by waterproof i don't mean 1 meter 30min i mean i can throw it in the ocean and it washes up later and i can use it.

And before you suggest it i have had a Moto Tundra (although no one would suggest it at this point since they don't make them any mare) and a Sonim 3300 which are both Milspec and "IP-68 SUBMERSIBLE TO 2 METERS FOR 1 HOUR IN WATER" BTW the Tundra isn't dog proof and the 2 3300s I've had aren't water for 2 inches for 60 seconds.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'm looking for a truly waterproof cellphone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'm looking for a truly waterproof cellphone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
AFAIK, there aren't any consumer models like that
by Pepe7 / September 8, 2012 11:05 AM PDT

It would be some sort of defense department modified model at best. Truth be told, they all will leak AFAIK.

Finding waterproof cases is another issue. Consult with a professional diving supply shop (*not* a ghetto/surfer dude place, but a yuppy store) for more specifics.

Collapse -
Already look into it
by CetunH / September 9, 2012 10:58 AM PDT

Dive shops do have cases but you have to take the phone out of the case to use any features and most cases are for iPhone one option is the otter box but I am pretty sure it's about as waterproof as my sonims

Collapse -
Sorry. Only IP-67
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2012 11:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
There isn't a market for truly waterproof phones
by CetunH / September 9, 2012 10:55 AM PDT

In this day and age where they can make a chemical that can keep a paper towel dry even when it's submerged in water but they can't make a phone that
1. Has a speaker and mic that doesn't require a hole that water can get in (why my ip-67 sonim broke)
2. That is truly submersible for long periods and great depths (ip-67 is only one meter 30 min)

There is no one performing a job where their cellphone gets wet for more than 30 min? Also price isn't an issue considering a sonim 3300 is about $300 and i just broke my 2nd one because of water

Collapse -
You only make money from a product if...
by Pepe7 / September 9, 2012 11:35 AM PDT

you can sell a great number at acceptable margin. There would be no need to a company to make something which would hardly be requested.

Most construction workers I see now have cheap flips since they are disposable. They keep two or three in the glove box- sometimes with new SIM cards too if they are on GSM providers. The riskier ones have Android handsets or iPhones (LOL).

Collapse -
My industry is different
by CetunH / September 10, 2012 12:23 AM PDT

I under stand using disposables, i mean dont get me wrong the ruggedized phones are tough, but at $250+ i could buy a 100 old moto razrs (I keep several as backup), but when im out in the middle of the swamp and my phone drops and sinks like a rock (because its ruggedized) and gets lost in the silt and it takes me a couple minutes to find it I cant just walk 3 miles back to my truck and get another one (because my waterproof phone was't all that waterproof) without a period when i might need urgent accessibility.

Collapse -
So IP 67 isn't going to cut it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2012 1:17 AM PDT

Try a google search for IP-68 phones next.

Collapse -
suggestion
by birdmantd Forum moderator / September 10, 2012 5:37 AM PDT

I found this on ebay: SONIM XP1300 CORE YELLOW ON BLACK RUGGED UNLOCKED PHONE IP68 GSM for $315, new. Can't post a link, but just do a search for IP68 and you should be able to find it.

Collapse -
Amazon too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2012 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: suggestion
Collapse -
Lies
by CetunH / September 10, 2012 10:43 PM PDT
In reply to: suggestion

These are lies, on the Sonim website the XP1300 is IP-67 also i mentioned that I already bought 2 XP3300s which are upgraded versions of the XP1300 and they are far from waterproof as advertised. And when I Google IP-68 all that comes up are auctions that are fraudulently saying the XP1300 is IP-68 and some Chinese Sonim look-a-like called an LM802 that sells for $50 on ebay

Collapse -
Sorry to hear that....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / September 10, 2012 11:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Lies

Just thought it was worth a shot. I can only go on what information was posted. What you are looking for might cost more than $1000 for your specified requirements. Check with a dive shop to see what they might suggest.

Collapse -
Then IP-67 may be as good as it gets.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2012 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Lies

I see Motorola out there with IP-67 and the differences are easy to spec out. Looks like you are into some many thousand buck phone now.
Bob

Collapse -
response
by rqsulfates / September 11, 2012 6:34 PM PDT

are there any waterproof phones?

Collapse -
IP-67
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 12, 2012 12:59 AM PDT
In reply to: response

Sorry but by definition it is IP-67 and you want better water proofing than IP-67. Many would call IP-67 water proof since it "Protected against the effects of immersion in water to depth between 15 cm and 1 meter"

Sounds waterproof to me.
Bob

Collapse -
IP-67
by CetunH / September 12, 2012 4:33 PM PDT
In reply to: IP-67

IP-67 by definition is not water proof the 7 part is defined as "Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion)." by definitions it states that some water can got in but not in harmful quantities. On the other hand the IP-68 would mean "The equipment is suitable for continuous immersion in water under conditions which shall be specified by the manufacturer. Normally, this will mean that the equipment is hermetically sealed. However, with certain types of equipment, it can mean that water can enter but only in such a manner that it produces no harmful effects."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

http://www.ce-mag.com/archive/06/ARG/bisenius.htm

Collapse -
(NT) Then by extension, IP-68 isn't good enough either.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2012 12:59 AM PDT
In reply to: IP-67
Collapse -
How do you figure?
by CetunH / September 13, 2012 3:49 AM PDT

IP-68 implies that if you submerge it in water, water will not get in or at very least not affect the operation of the item for an indefinite amount of time. IP-67 implies that water can get in eventually and has a way to affect the operation of the item. Couldn't you say that IP-68 is waterproof and IP-67 is water resistant since IP-68 blocks all water from damaging the item and IP-67 implies that given enough time the item will be filled with water and broken?

Collapse -
Simply this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2012 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: How do you figure?

The IP-68 model supplied didn't hold up. So for now unless you test it yourself, IP-68 is not a sure thing.

IP-67 from your link states ' Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion). '

So IP-67 is indeed water proof.

Be aware this is English and the OP (original poster) wants something beyond the usual. Let them go get it. As the one IP-68 model noted so far in this discussion has been proven to be a farce, try this. Supply other models.
Bob

Collapse -
Thats the thing
by CetunH / September 13, 2012 7:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Simply this.

The mentioned IP-68 phone the Sonim 1300 isn't IP-68 because it was never certified IP-68 it was always IP-67, on the Sonim website all their phones including the 1300 are IP-67, thats what Sonim says not my opinion. So to say Sonim was the standard of IP-68 and it didn't hold up is basing your assumptions on a fallacy.

Furthermore IP-67 implies under standard pressure water can get in whereas IP-68 implies under standard pressure water cant get in, that's the difference between water resistant and water proof.

Collapse -
Re: waterproof phone
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 13, 2012 7:29 PM PDT
In reply to: How do you figure?

Since phones won't work under water they only need to be waterproof for storing them in water (that includes them just laying there if the owner drops it in his swimming pool or where-ever).That's an uncommon requirement not found in consumer devices.
You won't find it in tablets, laptops and TV's either (not implying people tend to drop their TV into their swimming pool).

On http://www.sealshield.com/sealshields.html I see they sell a plastic
cover for an iPhone, mentioning both 'IP-68' and 'ready to use'. Did
you try those already?

But, as side note, there are waterproof keyboards. Easy to clean! See, for example: http://allthingsd.com/20120822/logitechs-washable-keyboard-can-handle-your-spills/

Kees

Collapse -
aoeui
by CetunH / September 13, 2012 10:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: waterproof phone

That's getting somewhere i guess in a technical standpoint because it makes your phone waterproof, but wouldn't you have to take it off to make a phone call? I think ready to use in this case meant you can use the touchscreen

I've looked into options such as the otterbox (http://www.otterbox.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-otterbox_us-Site?cid=GOOTT11&gclid=CJ34m_eKtbICFQs5nAod4VAAKQ) but the rugged cases seem to also be IP-67 so I don't know how well they will do if you drop them into water considering the possibility water can get in under the right conditions.

Also people keep saying there is no need for a waterproof phone that's why they don't make them, yet they made a waterproof keyboard? You know how much liquids I've split on my keyboard and there has been no damage? I'm pretty sure keyboards are spill proof as is the only reason it would be waterproof is for easy cleanup. So is everyone saying that there is absolutely no use for a waterproof phone but there is a use and market for a waterproof keyboard?

Collapse -
Re: waterproof
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 13, 2012 11:23 PM PDT
In reply to: aoeui

The marketing people at Logitech (and other companies) are thinking they can sell enough of them to justify the design, production and marketing costs.

And until now it seems the marketing people at Samsung, LG, HTC, Nokia, Motorola, Apple didn't think the same about a really waterproof phone. That doesn't mean there is absolutely no use for it (in fact, you show the opposite), only that they think there isn't enough use for it to start designing, making, marketing and selling it.
They earn more by selling you a new phone if the old one drowns.

Kees

Collapse -
Skip the Otterbox
by Pepe7 / September 14, 2012 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: aoeui

That's not what you really need. More form than actual functionality in this regard.

Collapse -
Have to agree with you Pepe7....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / September 14, 2012 2:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Skip the Otterbox

I would never suggest anyone to submerge a phone in an Otterbox. I think those cases are more splash resistant and not "waterproof" by any stretch.

Collapse -
I'm looking for a truly waterproof cellphone
by tarunmajumdar / September 11, 2012 8:52 PM PDT

Personally I never used any waterproof phone so I don't have much idea about it. I had seen a video of Sony Experia GO on youtube (www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2ngJeVUpvs)

Collapse -
Found a camera.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / September 14, 2012 8:10 AM PDT

...that might meet your requirements. It is called the GoPro HD Hero2. You should do an internet search to read more about it and find a supplier. According to the specs that I read, it is waterproof up to 60 meters and weighs 167 grams (with the clear housing). I found it in a magazine from the UK called "Stuff" in the September 2012 issue. It is advertised @ 270 euros (I don't know the conversion to $$). Granted, it isn't a cell phone, but it might be a solution for you.

Collapse -
Re:Found a camera
by CetunH / September 14, 2012 9:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Found a camera.....

Yea nice try but i cant use a camera to sommon help in a remote location in case of emergency. I guess I could have a rugged waterproof pager if they make those, but not a camera, sorry.

Collapse -
Picky...Picky...Picky
by birdmantd Forum moderator / September 14, 2012 1:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:Found a camera

Oh well, I tried.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.