Laptops forum

Question

I'm looking for a laptop for mechanical engineering.

by jasdeep546 / December 6, 2014 9:17 PM PST

I'm looking for a laptop with good gaming too.

Confused between macbook pro 15 retina 2014(high-end macbook), and alienware 13(2014)

Any other suggestions will be good as well.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'm looking for a laptop for mechanical engineering.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'm looking for a laptop for mechanical engineering.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Also alienware 17
by jasdeep546 / December 6, 2014 9:21 PM PST

Alienware 17 is also my one of the choice.

Collapse -
Answer
Those are very different machines.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2014 2:42 AM PST

If you go with the Apple be sure your company supports that model. It would be a shame to arrive on the job and then you have to load up Windows via BootCamp and wow, you're out a few more hundred bucks.
Bob

Collapse -
I'm a college student who will use solidworks and other apps
by jasdeep546 / December 7, 2014 6:41 AM PST

Problem us solidworks is not available on Mac, otherwise mac is a good device. It also lacks gaming ability even with a nvidia card in it.

Collapse -
That's news to me (gaming on an Apple)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2014 6:57 AM PST

As to student and such, we ran SolidWorks are a fraction of the beast the common Lenovo y50 models are today.

So why not what you picked or a Y70?

Collapse -
How long will this device last?
by jasdeep546 / December 7, 2014 7:09 AM PST

Is the life of this laptop good or not. I mean corruption of windows, and all those stuff.

Collapse -
Re: life of laptop
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 7, 2014 7:15 AM PST

It's not dependent on the manufacturer or model of the laptop how long you can use it without reloading Windows. That's mostly dependent on you, although sometimes it's just needed while no particular reason can be given. In a business environment they say they re-image it, and that's all, and that's the best way to handle Windows for you also.

Kees

Collapse -
Life for a student 17 inch laptop can be very short.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2014 10:01 AM PST

Figure a year or two if they carry it around in the backpack. The physical stresses take an extra toll on the extra large machine. There are folk new to this that yell "say it ain't so" but hey, they don't hear the cries so let them deal with the pain later.

No matter what you get, there is always a chance something bad will get onto the machine. Only the very new to PCs run without backups or a way to restore the PC. With the cloud to keep a copy of what we can't lose, you gotta wonder how folk lose it all today. Maybe the PC isn't for everyone?

Anyhow, for a student I'd get some 15 inch model every time. Let the student that can buy a new laptop every few years get the supersize model.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Laptop For Mechanical Engineering as well as Gaming.
by Mary12_Belcher / December 7, 2014 3:52 PM PST

It is not very easy to decide which laptop is best for you, lots of researches and knowledge's should be needed before you buy any laptop. First do a complete research then only buy a laptop which is suitable for you. Here the mackbook and alienware both are best for laptop you can also try Dell xps which is very latest. From the both you must buy mackbook pro 15, firstly you go through all its features then only buy it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?