Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Laptops forum

Question

I'm looking for a good budget laptop.

by annahirsch416 / May 18, 2013 12:11 PM PDT

I'm a high school student who does a lot of computer work and I need a new laptop. I'd use it mostly for digital art/Photoshop, a lot of writing and schoolwork, web browsing, and watching videos. I'm not really a video game player — occasionally simple games like Candy Crush Saga — so that's not a big issue, but I'd like it to be relatively fast. I like the brand Asus for my needs, although I'm open to suggestions for other brands too.

Other things on my list:

-Disc drive
-Good keyboard (little to no flex)
-Screen size minimum 13", definitely no bigger than 15.6". I can manage 12" if other features are great.
-Sturdy build
-Lighter than 6 pounds — I'm going to be carrying it a lot of places.
-Good battery life — I'm looking preferably 2+ hours of video and 5+ hours of web.
-Removable battery

Overall I prefer matte screens over glossy, and backlit keyboards are nice, but in the long run I won't turn down a computer because it doesn't have those features.

I have a personal budget of $500, with some wiggle room if needed. Right now I'm thinking this model: http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-K55N-DS81-15-6-Inch-Laptop-B...

I'm not sure about the resolution on the Asus K55N, though. It'd be fine on a smaller screen (though I can't really find a smaller computer with my specifications) but at 15.6 I'm not sure if 1366x768 will do the job. I'm ok with seeing pixels (I usually keep my head about 2 feet away from the screen anyways), but since I do a lot of Photoshop, I'm worried that the pictures may appear blurry or pixelated. I don't have much experience with lower resolutions so some advice on that in particular would be good.

Discussion is locked

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Link fixed
by annahirsch416 / May 19, 2013 1:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
I'm typing on that model right now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2013 11:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Link fixed

That model is hard to beat at 380 bucks, 2 year drop and spill warranty.

About the LCD. It's not as good as say your Apple screens but for the money the 2 units we picked up are very nice.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!