Speakeasy forum

General discussion

I'm interested in your opinion Evie, though Krugman is not

by Ziks511 / April 5, 2005 1:24 PM PDT

on your A list of sources. Wink

"An Academic Question
By PAUL KRUGMAN

Published: April 5, 2005

"It's a fact, documented by two recent studies, that registered Republicans and self-proclaimed conservatives make up only a small minority of professors at elite universities. But what should we conclude from that?

"Conservatives see it as compelling evidence of liberal bias in university hiring and promotion. And they say that new "academic freedom" laws will simply mitigate the effects of that bias, promoting a diversity of views. But a closer look both at the universities and at the motives of those who would police them suggests a quite different story.

"Claims that liberal bias keeps conservatives off college faculties almost always focus on the humanities and social sciences, where judgments about what constitutes good scholarship can seem subjective to an outsider. But studies that find registered Republicans in the minority at elite universities show that Republicans are almost as rare in hard sciences like physics and in engineering departments as in softer fields. Why?

"One answer is self-selection - the same sort of self-selection that leads Republicans to outnumber Democrats four to one in the military. The sort of person who prefers an academic career to the private sector is likely to be somewhat more liberal than average, even in engineering."

I really am interested in your opinion, especially as you're in one of the fields that he mentions outside the social sciences and humanities.

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'm interested in your opinion Evie, though Krugman is not
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'm interested in your opinion Evie, though Krugman is not
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Apologies Evie, I thought it was a discussion of academic
by Ziks511 / April 5, 2005 1:32 PM PDT

preference, instead of a polemic. That's what I get for not reading the WHOLE article before posting. Please ignore it.

Rob

Collapse -
I do have some thoughts on this topic ...
by Evie / April 5, 2005 11:09 PM PDT

... but would take some getting together of them and I'm going back and forth between grading papers and foolin' around on the net right now so no time to concentrate on anything too serious. I'll ignore Krugman's comments Wink Will get back to you.

Collapse -
Thanks, Evie, I quite understand and look forward to your
by Ziks511 / April 6, 2005 6:59 AM PDT

views.

Rob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!