help, he said.

"The agriculture industry is the No. 1 economic engine in
Georgia," Deal said in a prepared statement. "It is my sincere
hope to find viable and law-abiding solutions to the current
problem our farmers face."
Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: I'm interested in seeing how this works out
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: I'm interested in seeing how this works out
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
From what I understand

Locked up criminals get paid a daily wage already for the most part, so why not use that labor since it's already handy? Chain-gangs worked years ago, but they weren't paid and treated poorly....I think this should work out nicely for the state.

- Collapse -
the new slavery

slavery in one form or another has existed throughout mankinds history. At least it's the government doing it this time.

- Collapse -
Our local government

has deemed quite a while ago that people in our local jails waiting trial or ones who can't make bail and are non-violent can be used to pick up trash along the roads, weedwhack and mow around the town and town limits, etc. rather than get outside contractors or use DOT personnel. It gets them out of the jail cell into the fresh air, gives them exercise, and none are chained with ankle bracelets. They are fed by local restaurants and treated well, and the town stays neat and clean cheaply.

- Collapse -
I recall a couple years ago

some posters in SE claiming that Americans would take those jobs. (out in the fields)

THAT'S what I'm waiting to see.

People clamoring for those jobs.

So far it looks like it is part of the punishment criminals are going to pay.

I think this should work out nicely for the state.

Government involvement in a private business?

It'll be OK the Democratic farmers will reap the reward? OR whichever party is in power in Georgia.

- Collapse -
Until local people

looking for jobs actually begin working the fields, using criminals and paying them to do so is the answer for everyone all the way around.

- Collapse -
How bout until NO ONE is drawing Unemployment money?

Farmer pay to have someone that doesn't "want" to be there, work?

I guessing the farmer will reimburse the government.

IF it gets to your state...they could help you with your weeds?

- Collapse -
It's already in my state

or did you miss that part of my post?

Farmers don't care who they have to pay to do the work...they are only interested in getting their crops to market on time. If there is a deal made between the government and the farmer regarding payment reimbursement, it's pretty simple stuff considering that prisoners don't get paid by the day...they get paid in 'chit' format since they aren't allowed to have actual cash in their hands. If family sends money to a prisoner, it goes into a 'marker' type fund in their name so they can use it at the commissary for goodies, smokes, socks, etc. that they might want/need. Thus, the government doesn't need to collect from the farmer very quickly...perhaps not until the crops are marketed and sold which frees up cash for the farmer's every day expenses.

- Collapse -
RE: did you miss that part of my post?

Nope...I didn't miss that,

The program Ga. wants to introduce would have prisoners doing work on PRIVATE property, your state has them doing work on PUBLIC (pick up trash along the roads, weedwhack and mow around the town and town limits,) property.

Does your state allow that?

Hire a prisoner/convicted individual to work on Farmer Browns farm? (or YOUR land?)

- Collapse -
So government slavery is ok?

Not that I oppose work for the less violent criminals. And I don't even oppose paying them more than the old prison rates of something like a dollar a day.

- Collapse -
go to jail, get a job?

In the current economic climate I can see why some inmates might prefer to stay in the system, for awhile at least. I guess it depends on chances for education, health care, etc.

- Collapse -
Actually documented cases of

prisoners who committed a crime to get back in after release. Normally prisoners who went in young and spent decades in jail. Nothing for them outside when they're released.

Other have committed suicide for the same reason after release.

But yes, right now, depending on which prison you are in, some may wonder if an earlier parole is a reward or punishment. At least you get shelter, meals, and doctor care.

- Collapse -
Would you call the WPA and CCC slavery?

I know where I grew up, it was voluntary to work outside the prison and it was limited to trustees and those jumped at the chance and others behaved because they wanted to become trustees.

Diana

- Collapse -
In some ways, yes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Works_Progress_Administration

WPA was the left's dream of enslaving millions of people to depend on entitlements. Once WWII started and people were able to actually go to work and WPA ended, there was a Union revolt because part of the money that used to be used for WPA entitlements was now being geared toward training more skilled workers and the Unions didn't want anymore than what they had at that time. Sure is a far cry from what they want now...they are willing to shut down entire companies in order to get those union dues and compensation packages.
- Collapse -
Didn't the story...

Didn't the story say that he suggested probationers? If someone were on probation, would they be locked up?

- Collapse -
Sounds reasonable to me

Implementation, logistics, etc. might be an issue as well as if lawyers want to get involved. But Georgia and SC peaches are really good eatin' and Vidalia onions from down that way are my favorites. Let the criminals enjoy some fresh fruit if you will. The pay won't be good but the benefits might be worth it.

- Collapse -
Great idea!

I see no rhyme or reason to using illegal immigrants to work in the fields, 'just because' they are cheap. They are still illegal immigrants.

Since American unemployed people don't want to do the work, (that's not limited to the US, it affects the UK and other European countries as well), why not use prisoners.

They have nothing else to do with their time!

Mark

CNET Forums