Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

I'm in over my head

by rapida / August 11, 2005 10:44 AM PDT

I was trying to help out my Dad's company (it's a small business) by building them a website and setting it up. Unfortunately, they didn't want to go with any of the webservices I am familiar with and would be easy to edit. I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I'm hoping one of you guys can help or direct me somewhere, I'm a little desperate. I managed to figure out how to access the space they bought through an ftp client. But I have no idea how to link up the domain name they purchased to the space where I stored the site. thanks! please help ^_^

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'm in over my head
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'm in over my head
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DNS
by xangelo / August 11, 2005 11:40 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm in over my head

You just need to configure the domain name so that it points to your hostings nameserver.

If you purchased the domain and hosting from the same place, its probably already hooked up and you just need to upload an index.html file. Sometimes it can take up to 2 days for the DNS to propagate.

Collapse -
sorry I'm hopeless
by rapida / August 11, 2005 11:54 AM PDT
In reply to: DNS

The only thing the hosting company gave me was the web ip address, username, and password. I'm not really sure how to link that. Unfortunately the hosting company and domain name company are not one it the same. Thanks for you help.

Collapse -
Thats all you need
by xangelo / August 12, 2005 2:21 AM PDT
In reply to: sorry I'm hopeless

Just login to where you domain name is and just point it towards your hosting companies nameserver. If your hosting/domain company has a helpdesk (which they should) they should be able to help you a lot more fully than any of us can.

Collapse -
You need a program that builds the webpage
by metmichallica / September 21, 2005 4:34 PM PDT
In reply to: sorry I'm hopeless

also if you don't know how to do a webpage by yourself, you also need one that will allow to to upload files to the server (that's what they gave you the username and password for)

This isn't bad. It should be pretty simple, goodluck.

http://www.trellian.com/webpage/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?