Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

I'm having trouble getting speakers to work on my new PC

by 70441.2227 / March 26, 2006 3:09 PM PST

Hi,
I have just built a new PC.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1825672,00.asp

Everything seems to work OK. To cut costs and save space(which I didn't have) in my home office I decided not to buy the sound card or the recommended speakers. I instead bought a pair of reasonably priced good speakers. They are Creative I-Trigue 2200 spakers. Now, the problems begin. I plugged them in to the speaker jack on the motherboard. They did not work. Yes, the chords are color coded, and I plugged the light green chord in the light green jack. Here is the specs on the motherboard's Audio/Video.:

Audio / Video
Video Interface Dual PCI Express x16
#160;
Audio Output SPDIF Out ? 7.1 Channels
#160;
Integrated Audio Creative EMU10K1-JFF

The motherboard is a MSI K8N Neo4/SLI Motherboard. The first thing I did, after no sound came out of my speakers, was to check the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties dialog box and it says ''No Audio Device''.

Next, I went to the device drivers and I saw, in the other devices, Muti Media Audio Controller with a question mark. So, I thought: ''I need a driver!'' (it said no driver was loaded too). Yes, I went to the web site, got the tech support phone number, told them the problem, and they said I needed a driver. So, he sent me , by e-mail, the link to download the drivers and software. So, about 4PM friday afternoon, I downloaded the zip file, extracted the files and ran setup. I got a message that said the software was not signed properly and my OS might not perform OK. They said to click continue(in the doc file), so I did click continue. After the install, my PC, running WIN XP Home, was then rebooted (after the install was finished). Guess what? Everything was still the same, except my OS was screwed up. The speakers didn't work and the drivers still weren't loaded. Some programs ran and some didn't run anymore! And, I couldn't get into some of the OS's sysmtem operations (like the control panel). It wouldn't work. I had to get into it by going in with File Explorer. It took me four hours to straighten out my OS and it's software.

So, I did one more thing. I tried to do the same thing from the installtion cd that came with the motherboard. Same result. Although this time it took me only five minutes to get everything back to the way it was before I did the install(I learned from the first experience). I used the system restore option in the acessories->system tools->sytem restore menu. I created a check point and then rolled it back in safe mode after I determined it didn't work. It was too late to call tech support back on Friday.

So, here is my question. I will call tech support today. But, I have a idea what they are going to say. If the say that I'm out of luck. Do I have any options? Can I find a generic driver to use on mother board so that my speakers work? I thought the new OS's were plug and play? Why doesn't MS load the right driver automatically(my first WIN XP Home system)? Are there any sites on the Internet where I might be able to locate a driver (with instructions)? Any options at all?

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'm having trouble getting speakers to work on my new PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'm having trouble getting speakers to work on my new PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A motherboard should come ...
by Kees Bakker / March 26, 2006 4:11 PM PST

with a CD with all necessary documentation and drivers. Check the package.

Everything should be available for download at the manufacturers site also. Try http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_dvr_list.php
No need, generally, to call a tech and have him send you the wrong one.

And no, Microsoft didn't put drivers for 2006 motherboards on their 2004 Windows XP CD. That would have been impossible. It's a manufacturers responsibility to provide them.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
I've done tha already.
by 70441.2227 / March 27, 2006 1:05 AM PST

Hi Kees,
What I tried to explain (I guess not very well) is that I did download the right driver from the web site. I doubled checked and checked again via your link. Secondly, I do have the CD with all the drivers on it and I did try to load the driver a second time from the CD. Both attempts hosed my OS. I have a e-mail in too the tech support guy and I'll see what he has to say. I'm not optomistic. I gave him my phone number because I don't want to incur any more cost. It's really their problem. So, they should foot the bill. My real question is do I have any other recourse except dealing with MSI? Is there such a thing as a "generic" driver? What are my options? Can I contact the author's of the driver and associated software? Like I said Windows did not like the setup program and asked me to stop, but their documentation said to continue. So I did continue to my dismay.

Thanks,
Bob

Collapse -
My e-mail to tech support fell on deaf ears.
by 70441.2227 / March 28, 2006 12:37 PM PST

There was no response to my e-mail from the tech support guy. I guess I will have to call tech support tomorrow. I will have to incur another cost for a problem that is not mine.

Bob

Collapse -
Why doesn't MS load the right driver automatically?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2006 1:16 AM PST

The answer is pretty simple. Microsoft didn't make your PC and there are thousands (if not more) drivers to choose from.

The responsibility of installing drivers for motherboard, updating the BIOS, setting BIOS options, video drivers, sound drivers and more falls on the person who is installing this OS.

Only on the Apple Macintosh have I seen the total opposite approach. If I have an Apple chunk of hardware, unless it's very old it just works. Their model of how this works is very different from the PC free for all view.

Bob

Collapse -
MS does support hardware.
by 70441.2227 / March 28, 2006 12:47 PM PST

MS didn't make my hard drive, dvd, cd, video card, graphics card, fax, printer, scanner, etc, etc, and etc. But, they seem to work all right without me loading drivers for them.
My OS is updated from the internet evry time it detects something new. Why can't it download new drivers too. Just a question. Remember, I'm just a "newbie'. I'm just trying to understand and learn everything I can about everything. Where does "plug and play" fit in to this discussion?

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks!
by 70441.2227 / March 28, 2006 12:29 PM PST
In reply to: RE: sound

I appreciate the constructive information.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.