Computer Help forum

General discussion

I'm having trouble getting my 9600xt video card to work

by wouldawon8 / October 9, 2005 11:31 AM PDT

I have a dell dimension 8200 circa 2001. 1.7ghz p4. I've upgraded the rdram to 512 mb. I have 2 hd, 80gb and 160gb(for video editing). Just this week I got an ATI AGP radeon 9600xt 256 mb ddr graphics card to replace my old one, 32mb geforce2 mx.

After installing it, I wasn't able to get my new card to work (my monitor only said "monitor in power save mode, activate using pc" and I was not able to get any other picture) so I talked to dell tech support and after an hour he figured out that the card itself needs between 325 and 350 watts of power to run. My computer has 250W power. The dell tech guy, along with others I asked through different forums, said the answer was to get a 400W power supply upgrade. I did that today.

After installing the new 400w power supply my computer seemed to run slightly faster than before and very well WITH MY OLD GEFORCE2 CARD.

I again replaced that card with the new 9600xt card and got the same message!! "monitor in power save mode, activate using pc".

So now I'm trying to find the answer on how to get my new card to work so I can play some wicked cool games and edit some video.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

WouldWon8

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'm having trouble getting my 9600xt video card to work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'm having trouble getting my 9600xt video card to work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Would, And Have You?....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 9, 2005 2:45 PM PDT

1. Tried starting in Safe Mode?

2. Downloaded the most recent driver for your new card and placed the driver files on the machine, then attempt to reinstall the new card?

3. Tried taking the card back and getting a replacement card? Maybe it's just a bad card.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
i tried it
by wouldawon8 / October 9, 2005 4:42 PM PDT

I'm not sure how to start in safe mode after installing the new card.

I did try to install the drivers for the card from my installation cd that came with the card and I also tried to install the latest drivers from the website but both times my computer doesn't recognize the hardware I'm installing the drivers for (the new card).

Any other suggestions? Thanks so far.

Collapse -
Remove drivers for old card first?
by bbcamp2 / October 10, 2005 5:47 AM PDT
In reply to: i tried it

Could be a conflict...

Collapse -
Would, Restarting Into Safe Mode...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 10, 2005 9:05 AM PDT
In reply to: i tried it

Use the instructions in the link below. It shouldn't matter if the new card is in the slot..If it's going to start in Safe Mode using the basic drivers, it will. :

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

After starting in Safe Mode with the "old" card in place and running...Try doing it this way...First, following "bbcamp's" lead here, uninstall the old card and it's drivers by visiting the Device Manager/Display Adapters listing, then finding the old card listed and uninstall it. (make sure you have the old card's software for later use, just in case the new card is actually broken.) If there are any duplicates of the old card listed, uninstall them also. Then shut down the computer. Now remove the old card from the slot.. Now place the new card in the slot and restart the computer. See if the card is now recognized. If it is, then Windows will attempt to install the drivers. At this point, you'll need to install the new driver software.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Turns out the card is dead
by wouldawon8 / October 11, 2005 7:01 AM PDT

Thanks for all of the help guys. After talking to ati tech support and trying this card in another computer, it turns out that the card is dead. I was never even able to get to a bios screen. Take care.

WouldaWon8

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!