Question

I'm having trouble booting from cd after installing win 8

I made the mistake of installing windows 8 without creating a separate partition. I have tried to boot the pc with the cd drive as the first option, but windows 8 starts before it gives me an option to boot the windows xp install disk. I tried to delete windows throught command prompt, but it tell me access denied. Not sure what i'm doing wrong here, please help. Thanks

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: I'm having trouble booting from cd after installing win 8
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: I'm having trouble booting from cd after installing win 8
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Re: boot from CD

That's strictly and 100% a BIOS-thing, where to boot from. All BIOS'es have an option to define the boot sequence (set it to DVD-first, hard-disk-second). Some BIOS'es have an option (by pressing a function key early in the boot) to let you choose interactively by presenting a 'boot menu' with all bootable devices. With my MSI-motherboard, that's F11 (but with you that might be different or non-existing).

The usual reason for not booting from a cd/dvd are:
1. the disk isn't bootable or damaged (check on another PC) - sometimes it helps to burn a fresh copy
2. the drive is defective
3. the drive isn's selected as the first boot device.
Since you say it isn't 3, it's 1 or 2.

Kees

- Collapse -
I believe the drive is fine

I have a Toshiba Satellite a105-s361 I tried to go to the Toshiba website to reinstall the BIOS, but it gave an error during the unzip process. I also tried to go back to an older version of BIOS, but it would not let me install it. The reason I believe that the drive is fine is because inside of windows 8 I can open the cd, but it won't let me run the install program because it doesn't recognize the OS.

I just wanted to see if windows 8 would run on this old laptop, now I can't get back to XP... the last few days have been hell

- Collapse -
"The reason I believe that the drive is fine is because insi

"The reason I believe that the drive is fine is because inside of windows 8 I can open the cd, but it won't let me run the install program because it doesn't recognize the OS."

That is indeed what can confuse a new to this person. The fact the drive works in Windows does not mean it's good enough to boot from CD/DVD. After you encounter this a few dozen times you learn the only true test is to test the boot process. As to the BIOS. It's rarely the cause for the boot failure. I find the drives after about 1 to 2 years tend to need replacing when this happens. Only a person new to this issue will dig in their heels and maintain the drive is good. The seasoned tech will try to clean the lens then re-test and then swap in a new drive.

Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Try a Linux disk

I had a similar problem but when my computer would not read a Windows disk it read a Linux disk. You can download Ubuntu. http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop, 32 bit or 64 bit. If it reads the disk let it format the drive and erase Windows. Before you do this make sure you have a Windows XP, 7 or Vista Install disk with a product key since you will be starting anew.

CNET Forums