Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I'm going to ask before I get the computer. . .

by Coryphaeus / October 22, 2007 6:46 AM PDT

A friend just called, she's running XP SP2 on a Dell. When she turns it on it boots to the screen to start in Normal, Safe, Last known, etc. No matter what she chooses it stops, reboots, and back to the same screen. She has the Dell XP CD and the drivers CD.

She's going to bring it over this evening. Any thoughts off hand? From what she describes I may be looking at an install from the CD. Hope not, she has a ton of iPod music.

TLIA

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'm going to ask before I get the computer. . .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'm going to ask before I get the computer. . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Last Time
by Darton Fury / October 22, 2007 8:10 AM PDT

I encountered this, I slaved the drive on a good system, chkdsk repaired errors on the disk, and I placed it back in the original system without any loss of important files.

Collapse -
My personal experiences with this have all been
by Steven Haninger / October 22, 2007 8:10 AM PDT

hardware changes that XP considers to be over the limit. I've only been able to resolve them by doing a repair installation and re-activation. Sometimes even a BIOS update triggers "new hardware found" messages. I did have one case where a bad driver caused a continuous reboot for several cycles but would eventually load....and it might be possible that there's some sort of hardware failure, overheating due to dirty fan, etc. Good luck with it.

As a side note....Be careful of befriending people with broken computers. Wink (just a bad joke)

Collapse -
I'm telling your wife, again!
by PudgyOne / October 22, 2007 11:32 AM PDT

I hope she brings the Dell drivers disk that came with it.

I would clean it first, If she has the Dell disks, you could use them to install/repair the system. All the drivers and the Windows Updates need done but no files will be lost.

Maybe running chkdsk /f or chkdsk /f /r will fix any problems.

Last note Internet Explorer 7 didn't go well on my Dell Inspiron B130.

Good Luck,

Rick

Remember her drivers can be found on Dell's website.

Also try this link using internet explorer

http://pccheckup.dellfix.com/en/?appIndex=dellspct&randseed=0.7957438861321445

Collapse -
It's DOA. . .
by Coryphaeus / October 22, 2007 11:40 AM PDT

Booted with the XP CD, went to Repair, typed fixmbr, rebooted, same, same.

Booted with the XP CD, chose to reinstall XP, instead of getting the reinstall screen I got an fdisk info screen and it showed the C: drive as unknown file system. Ooops.

Removed the drive and put it into an external USB-2 case and plugged it into my machine. Nothing, not in Explorer. Ooops again. Went to Computer Management, not there, and in fact my machine stalled until I turned the USB drive off. Major ooops.

HD DOA.

Young person, ask me if she had any backups. What do you think? She has over a thousand songs in iTunes. Now had.

Collapse -
Obviously, at some point, it would boot
by Steven Haninger / October 22, 2007 8:08 PM PDT
In reply to: It's DOA. . .

or it wouldn't display the options you mentioned. Not always does putting a drive in an external enclosure work....even on a HD that works...or semi- works. I wonder if putting the drive back into her machine and booting a Knoppix CD would be worth the gamble. You could also download the manufacturer's disk utility CD and run a diagnostics check on it. I suppose the laptops controller circuits could be bad but, if the utility can see and identify the drive, there might be hope to determine if it's a problem with the magnetic media. Just some thoughts.

Collapse -
I left out a lot. . .
by Coryphaeus / October 23, 2007 12:49 AM PDT

I've done this before for her. A while back she got so eaten up with spyware and junk it took forever to boot. I pulled it and put it into my external case, saved everything in the Documents and Settings folder, all her wallpaper, and more stuff. Moved it all to my HD. Then did the factory restore CD and the other drivers CD, put it all back together for her. This time the drive is toast.

Collapse -
(NT) And hopefully a lesson too...
by Me, Myself and You / October 23, 2007 2:58 AM PDT
In reply to: I left out a lot. . .
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?