Speakeasy forum

General discussion

I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo.

by JP Bill / November 20, 2014 5:20 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And there might be more.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / November 20, 2014 5:26 AM PST
Collapse -
If I lived in Buffalo
by James Denison / November 20, 2014 6:10 AM PST

or near where that lake effect snow piles up yearly like that, I think I'd build something like an ammo bunker to live in instead.

older style

newer style - also creates a hill for kids to sled down.

the inside - plenty of room to create rooms, and for split levels.

the economical model indoors

a neighborhood of bunkers - although I think I'd have filled in the gaps between them and put a fence on front and back, create elevated parkland with a walk and benches and tables on top of it all. Perhaps some stairs along every 3-4 bunkers.

free, used bunker, you haul - Haunted

Ol' McDonald's Getaway, civil war era, fixer-upper.

Yes, the best way to hibernate in Buffalo for the winter.

Collapse -
I remember one winter
by James Denison / November 20, 2014 5:46 AM PST

we got almost 3 ft snow here in Maryland. I took a bow rake, also called a potato rake, tied a rope to it and tossed onto roof many times and pulled off snow, to lower the weight and especially at the eaves to stop any "damming" which can cause melt to freeze overnight, creating a dam behind which next day's melt can trap water, which then wicks up under the shingles and drips into the attic. When that happens, you need to chop out the dam at various places along the eaves to allow water to run off, which then form those long icicles. It happened before then creating stains that needed repainting, from a snow that has half that, which was my first knowledge of such a thing. Even if outside temps stay below freezing, there's a heat buildup under the roof snow that causes the melt from underneath, but over the eaves it gets colder and refreezes, creating the dam. Maybe insulation directly attached to the wood under the roof at eaves would help that, but my blown-in type of insulation sure doesn't seem to stop it.

Collapse -
I had a roof installed as quickly as possible
by TONI H / November 20, 2014 8:14 AM PST
In reply to: I remember one winter

a few days before Hurricane Andrew hit my area (about two years after Hugo hit us this far north flattening huge areas of forests) because my old roof was leaking (I had purchased the house three months after Hugo and knew there was damage but didn't have the money yet to do a whole new roof). To put it up as fast as possible I used Onduraline sheets. It lasted right up until I finally ripped off my whole second floor and made it bigger and used commercial grade shingles instead because of the wind factor that actually began blowing those sheets off. My original second floor was severely pitched as an A-frame attic that had a room just big enough for Derek to use as a bedroom before he joined the Navy. I started the destruction and construction four months after he left....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUn9oIHt8Lc

Because of the type of sheets being 'wavy' like a steel/tin roof would be, when the snow began to melt off it would sound like a sonic boom and anything or anybody, including pets, directly in the way of the entire section from peak to gutter that would slide off all at one time, it was pretty dangerous. Glad to not have it anymore even though it held for nearly twenty years and was still in pretty good shape when it was taken off.

Collapse -
similar to my shed roof
by James Denison / November 20, 2014 9:01 AM PST
Collapse -
I see I missed on link
by James Denison / November 20, 2014 9:19 AM PST
Collapse -
Mine wasn't fiberglass
by TONI H / November 20, 2014 9:47 AM PST
In reply to: I see I missed on link

like the type that is clear or green "see-through" that many people use for patios...mine was made out of 'shingle' material so it held up a lot longer than I thought it would. The sheets were the same size as the clear type (I think 4x8 or 4x10') and went up in a day...just in time for Andrew.

Collapse -
they do come in differing lengths
by James Denison / November 20, 2014 10:12 AM PST
In reply to: Mine wasn't fiberglass

I think the width of the fiberglass panels were 2'. Lengths I saw up to 12', but I'd designed my shed so the 8' would fit with just enough past rafter edge to keep it protected from runoff.

Collapse -
Not just snow.
by drpruner / November 20, 2014 7:38 AM PST

Buffalo pedestrians have been blown off bridges.

Collapse -
"Dumbos"
by James Denison / November 20, 2014 7:58 AM PST
In reply to: Not just snow.

"whee, I'm flying...." Petree

Collapse -
Buffalo normally gets more snow than Syracuse
by Diana Forum moderator / November 21, 2014 2:47 AM PST

in the beginning of winter because most of their snow comes off of Lake Erie. When Lake Erie freezes over, they get a lot less snow.

I notice this snow is coming off of Lake Michigan which is a lot bigger. Our snow comes off of Lake Ontario which doesn't freeze. So we get snow all winter which means we normally get the golden snowball award most years. I will gladly relinquish it to Buffalo this year.

We normally get about ten feet of snow a year. The towns up north normally get twice that. I'm just south of the place where they measure snow, so we don't get as much.

Have a picture https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=391461351008429&set=a.103208766500357.5799.100004337011111&type=1&theater

Collapse -
With the rain that is expected
by JP Bill / November 21, 2014 2:49 AM PST

the weight of the WET snow on the roofs will cause more collapses.

Collapse -
That is why most people are getting as much snow off of the
by Diana Forum moderator / November 21, 2014 3:01 AM PST

roof as possible now. They figure about 80 inches of snow before this is over.

I remember the blizzard of '93 when we got about 4 1/2 feet of snow in two days and my roof was fine but the breezeway collapsed because of the thaw afterwards.

Collapse -
The whole weather pattern is the reason so much
by drpruner / November 25, 2014 8:52 AM PST

of Montreal is now underground. Quite nice, too.

Collapse -
Just watched a video of a deer pushing through the snow
by Diana Forum moderator / November 21, 2014 3:56 AM PST

It was up to it's neck. Just it's head was sticking out.

Collapse -
just think of all
by James Denison / November 21, 2014 9:01 AM PST

the little creatures like chipmunks in their burrows under all that snow, snuggled in with a larder of acorns and stolen pet food. Protection and temperature control, like a huge white blanket over them. We are over wintering a chipmunk found injured in backyard. His back or rear legs were injured so the cat was about to make a meal of him. Now he burrows under hamster bedding stuff and stays warm. He's got use of one leg back a bit more than 50%, the other is maybe 10% on a good day. We hope he'll be OK to return outdoors in spring. He seems to enjoy having the parakeets when their cage is near him and they come to lower perch to watch him too.

Collapse -
What a nice guy
by Steven Haninger / November 21, 2014 9:10 AM PST
In reply to: just think of all

I've got a few burrowed around my house. I've a galvanized steel can full of sunflower and other seed seed in the back and the chippies know it's there. If your chippie would like company, I see if I can live trap one of them and send it your way. I've got plenty enough more of them around and they'll be making babies below ground soon enough.

Collapse -
I throw out the extra food on the front lawn
by Diana Forum moderator / November 21, 2014 10:33 AM PST
In reply to: What a nice guy

They seem to eat everything except the grape tomatoes. This is squirrels not chipmunks.

Collapse -
I got some laughs
by James Denison / November 22, 2014 1:18 AM PST

over a very few chewed on red hot peppers I found in the garden. I wish I'd have seen it happen.

Collapse -
I'll be glad when this one's out of house
by James Denison / November 22, 2014 1:21 AM PST
In reply to: What a nice guy

He's a little more accepting of us, not diving into his little house unless we go too close to the cage. He can be petted on the back when he pretends we can't see him under the fluff, but he'll bite if picked up, so leather gloves are used for moving him during weekly cage cleaning.

Collapse -
I wonder how it was injured
by Steven Haninger / November 22, 2014 2:00 AM PST

I know cats can get a hind leg paralysis condition caused by some brain to spinal column failure. Some wild animals get parasites that cause neurological problems. Chipmunks I don't know about. If it wasn't attacked, had a run-in with a vehicle, and had no outward injury evidence, I'd wonder if it wasn't some disease or developmental problem.

Collapse -
we aren't sure
by James Denison / November 22, 2014 3:23 AM PST

At first I thought the cat did it, since he attacks voles and such with a pounding pounce motion, which would tend to break the back. However, it seems the problem may not have been that recent, but gave the cat opportunity to catch it. No bite marks though, so cat was just playing with it under our deck. Anyway, seeing it would try to escape and the cat would run over and put paw on it to keep it there, I decided best to rescue it and see if it was injured. Come spring when the winter is over, it's going out anyway, probably into some woods nearby or near our woodpile in yard. I'd like to remove it to area where less chance of a neighborhood cat spotting it again, then only have to worry itself about snakes, hawks, and owls. We do get some big black snakes here, they can even climb trees. This is my front yard, the tree is 3 foot thick, almost 10 foot circumference.

http://glenburniemd.net/Snake/blacksnake.png

http://glenburniemd.net/Snake/blacksnaketree.png

http://glenburniemd.net/Snake/blacksnaketreezoom.png

Collapse -
Until I finally got it all sealed tight
by TONI H / November 22, 2014 5:52 AM PST
In reply to: we aren't sure

I had a nesting area on a top shelf in one of my concrete buildings that bring black snakes in every year....the babies would remember their birthing area and return to mate and start the cycle all over again. I easily chopped the heads off nearly a hundred, including two or three copperheads, over 25 years, but haven't seen any in the last three years now. I did have a copperhead last year sunning itself coiled up in my grass/flower garden right next to my front steps.....he lost his head, too.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?