HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

I'm glad he finally got around to acknowleging the truth....

by EdHannigan / September 4, 2008 1:07 PM PDT
1972 crash still haunts driver's family

Since his vice presidential nomination, Joe Biden's 2007 statement that a "guy who allegedly ... drank his lunch" and drove the truck that struck and killed his first wife and daughter has gained national media traction.

Alcohol didn't play a role in the 1972 crash, investigators found. But as recently as last week, the syndicated TV show Inside Edition aired a clip from 2001 of Biden describing the accident to an audience at the University of Delaware and saying the truck driver "stopped to drink instead of drive."

The senator's statements don't jibe with news and law enforcement reports from the time, which cleared driver Curtis C. Dunn, who died in 1999, of wrongdoing.

"To see it coming from [Biden's] mouth, I just burst into tears," Dunn's daughter, Glasgow resident Pamela Hamill, 44, said Wednesday. "My dad was always there for us. Now we feel like we should be there for him because he's not here to defend himself."

Biden spokesman David Wade said Wednesday that the senator "fully accepts the Dunn family's word that these rumors were false."

Biden told a similar story when addressing an audience at the Bob Carpenter Center at the University of Delaware a few days after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

"It was an errant driver who stopped to drink instead of drive and hit a tractor-trailer, hit my children and my wife and killed them," Biden said, according to a transcript archived on his Senate Web site.

After reading a News Journal account of Biden's 2001 speech at UD, Hamill sent Biden a letter on behalf of her father. The newspaper story included Biden's description of getting the call that his wife and daughter had died, but not his comments about Dunn.

Hamill said her note to the senator described how Dunn was affected by the accident.

Printed on the senator's letter head and dated Oct. 11, 2001, the response from Biden reads:

"I apologize for taking so long to acknowledge your thoughtful and heartfelt note," Biden wrote. "All that I can say is I am sorry for all of us and please know that neither I nor my sons feel any animosity whatsoever."
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'm glad he finally got around to acknowleging the truth....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'm glad he finally got around to acknowleging the truth....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When bad things happen
by grimgraphix / September 4, 2008 4:52 PM PDT

I can't imagine what it is like to lose most of your immediate family in an accident and I hope I never experience it.

I guess in a person's despair and bitterness, they hold onto anything that can be blamed for a tragedy, even if evidence comes out that you were wrong. You see this same thing happen time and again, on true crime TV shows that explore murders where an in-law will blame a surviving spouse for a murder when the that same spouse is cleared, but no one else was brought to justice. Maybe Biden had to have someone to blame for all these years... does not justify his previous actions, but maybe it explains his feelings and motivations.

I hope his public statements brings some peace to both families.

Collapse -
So you're giving him a pass....
by EdHannigan / September 4, 2008 8:26 PM PDT
In reply to: When bad things happen

Okay.

I realize he went through a lot of pain, but it's fairly amazing that he never followed up or bothered to find out what really happened and opted to spread a false rumor instead.

He used the situation to garner sympathy and further his own career. He doesn't seem to care much about the other people. Massive character flaw, IMHO.

Collapse -
Sheesh Ed, I did no such thing
by grimgraphix / September 5, 2008 1:19 AM PDT

How does "does not justify his previous actions, but maybe it explains his feelings and motivations." even begin to resemble anything close to a pass ?

You know, I see you post these phishing threads all the time, where you jump on anyone who does not give you the precise comment you were looking for. Here... you were looking for people to come out and categorically condemn Biden for his response to the tragedy that ruined not just 1 but apparently apparently 2 families.

You are looking to capitalize upon and condemn someone politically, because of the way they responded to their wife and child's death, then you are gonna hassle me for not beating the guy up about it in the manner you want to see ? You're gonna accuse Biden of making political capital off his families' death... to garner political advantage for your own favorite candidates ? That is a glaring double standard in every sense of the word. There is the "massive character flaw" you might want to spend some time spotlighting there buddy.

Collapse -
Seems like a pass to me.
by EdHannigan / September 5, 2008 1:46 AM PDT

I didn't "hassle" you. I didn't "jump" on you. I gave my opinion. Tough if you don't like it.

The rest of your nonsense cheerfully ignored, "buddy."

Collapse -
wow, looks like I hit a sensitive spot
by grimgraphix / September 5, 2008 2:00 AM PDT

To bad?

Collapse -
(NT) Most well reasoned thing you've said all week.
by EdHannigan / September 5, 2008 2:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
Same old, same old.
by Kiddpeat / September 5, 2008 3:00 AM PDT

Now the dialogue is in the "I'm injured" stage. "How could you be such a meanie?" while an attack on the other person proceeds without any embarrassment at all.

In the meantime, the substance of the discussion is left behind. I've seen this over and over again from Grim, and applied to many different people. It's always someone else who is mean.

Collapse -
I can understand his pain,
by critic411 / September 4, 2008 11:30 PM PDT

but to try to make political points from it is kind of low.
I wouldn't make too much of a 7 year old lie. Much fresher ones to deal with.

Collapse -
Well...
by EdHannigan / September 4, 2008 11:35 PM PDT

he did repeat the lie in 2007. After "apologizing" to the family the first time.

Collapse -
maybe he's forgetful?
by James Denison / September 5, 2008 12:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Well...

Is he forgiving?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.