HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

I'm getting old, and I find myself saying those things that

by Rob_Boyter / May 22, 2014 11:50 AM PDT

old people are inclined to say. It's not that I think the past was better, it wasn't. But it was certainly better spoken. Reading a book today I picked up this exchange between William Pitt the Elder and the Prime Minister of the day Sir Robert Walpole the first de facto Prime Minister of England and a Whig and who declared that famous event The War of Jenkins Ear. In his old age he took a dislike to the young leading light of the Tory party, William Pitt.

In Parliament he rebuked Pitt for his youth, whereupon Pitt stood and right off the cuff said "The atrocious crime of being young, which the Honourable Gentleman has with such spirit and decency charged upon me, I shall attempt neither to palliate nor deny, but content myself with wishing that I shall be one of those whose follies shall cease with their youth, and not of that number who are ignorant in spite of experience." thus turning the charge directly back upon the man who made it as someone ignorant despite his age and experience.

All of that sort of intelligence and wit seems to have leaked out of politics on both sides of the aisle.

Pitt served as Prime Minister, and was later followed by his son who was so ferociously intelligent that he became Prime Minister at age 24 in 1783, and was the Prime Minister who followed the Peace Treaty ending the American Revolution. His problems were primarily the French Revolution and the rise of Napoleon.

He was gravely asthmatic, or so I recall, and treated his shortness of breath with brandy, which undermined his health. He died at age 47 in 1806 in office for the second time.

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'm getting old, and I find myself saying those things that
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'm getting old, and I find myself saying those things that
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hey Rob!
by itsdigger / May 22, 2014 12:01 PM PDT

That's a neat short story Grin You should submit it to Reader's Digest ...

Digger

Collapse -
Picture me sniggering and pulling a muscle doing it. R
by Rob_Boyter / May 23, 2014 4:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Hey Rob!

It's the era of "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country", and which passed, sadly, with the loss of Winston Churchill who was able to craft similarly elegant and biting responses.

It would so improve the tone of Washington, and subdue the national antipathy to both the Capitol and to politics so much of which results either from the cotton mouthed politicians like Mitch McConnell who speak in a passionless monotone, or the ones who trip over their tongues like Joe Biden (whom I still like) or the ones who smoothly tell patent lies (is that you Eric Cantor?) or un-smoothly tell grotesque ones, Mr Issa who is in the running for the Ken Starr Award for pushing nothing up a mountain in the expectation that when he gets there we will be impressed, and ignore the fact that it is still nothing and has been dealt with by, among others, a joint CIA and Pentagon report saying there is no there there.

And Mr. Issa, if I may. In English, a vowel followed by a double consonant is always short as in for example pinna which is that portion of the ear known as the earlobe, or in "permissible" or more simply, *** which is pronounced as everyone does pronounce it, and not as Ace. So don't get Pi$$y with me if you can't pronounce your own name, or have chosen to re-cast it in a more forceful fashion lest others make that same association which probably burdened you through Primary and High School. It is your subsequent behaviour which indicates that you are the master of acting Pi$$y with just about everyone except executives of major oil companies or other corporations who appear before committees on which you have sat in which case you revert to lap-dog mode.

Rob, pronounced Robb, not Robe, because it is a contraction of Rawbert. Originally from Hrodebrecht, which gave us Robert, Roderick and Rupert that I know of. You cannot know just how "icky" it is to share a name even tangentially with the Aussie media manipulator.

Collapse -
I was always taught that you could pronounce a
by Diana Forum moderator / May 23, 2014 5:06 AM PDT

proper name anyway you want especially if it's yours. You can call your name Smith and spell it Qwerty if you like.

Diana

Collapse -
I'm trying to imagine some young person today

speaking the the eloquence that you've written in your piece. It takes a person with more than a 50 word vocabulary scattered with a few unspellable utterances to deliver such a thought.

Collapse -
there's something to be said for being succint
by James Denison / May 23, 2014 1:42 PM PDT

such as the more common two word phrases come to mind as a reply.

Collapse -
reminds me of Reagan

answering those who thought he was too old to be president.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.