General discussion

I'm frustrated !! Not only have I lost my dexterity on the

guitar, but according to David Bromberg and a local group called Muddy York (what people used to call Toronto because it was) the fiddle tune the 8th of January which was about the signing of some document during the struggle for Independence, has been transferred to the Battle of New Orleans, also fought on the 8th of January, 1815. Jimmie Driftwood who may not have known there was another 8th of January set words to it, and voila` we have the Battle of New Orleans.

Now you could have enormous fun with this starting off playing it straight and when you get to the "And when we touched the powder off,/ The Gator said are you guys eejuts or something, the damn war's been over for more than 2 weeks. I mean I'm quietly sitting here, and I look up and say, "Well that's me all over!" Then you sail off into Homer and Jethroe's We are the Boys from Camp Cucamonga. which is the same tune, but very funny with lines like "We lay down in the Poison Oak and didn't say a thing" while watching the Girls swimming in the buff. ("Say could one of you fellers scratch my back?)

"We learn to make fires by rubbing sticks together,/ but if we catch the Guruls we will set the woods ablaze."

Now I once knew the historical non battle related reason for the 8th of January, but I've forgotten, and now when you look it up on-line all you get is The Battle of New Orleans

Henry D. "Homer" Haynes and Kenneth C. "Jethro" Burns formed up in 1936 at WNOX Knoxville Tennessee as a duo making fun of everything they heard. Homer could play guitar very well, but Jethro was up there near Bill Monroe on the Mandolin. I used to hear them on Sunday afternoons out of WWVA, Wheeling West Virginia. My dad liked country music, and I hated it, except for Bluegrass and Homer and Jethro

Steve Goodman enlisted Jethro Burns in his travelling two man show, and they'd do a Homer and Jethro tune periodically, and Jethro would play gag riffs to try to break Steve up. Sadly, Jethro outlived Steve, because Steven had had recurring Leukemia since he was a kid, and it finally didn't remit. Steve's later records were on his own label Red Pajama Records, one with a photo of him in a very awkward "Chemo-Cut" in front of a barber shop somewhere called Artitistic Hair. The weird thing was that there was a barbershop near where we lived here in Toronto in 1992 called Artistic Hair. They looked like they were part of the same Hand Painted sign on glass Artist.

I'm willing to be corrected, and to accept that what I was told before was a fable, but I do need evidence greater than Wikipedia.

David?? You out there??

Rob

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: I'm frustrated !! Not only have I lost my dexterity on the
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: I'm frustrated !! Not only have I lost my dexterity on the
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I had forgotten that great resource Mudcat dot org for music

which concerns itself with early fiddle music. I was mooching through my extensive bookmarks in Mozilla FF. (And why doesn't Google allow this huge well presented list?) and there it was. so I typed in 8th of January, and came across the explanation which I had mis-remembered as commemorating a signing or an event in the War of Independence. It is actually the old Julian calendar Christmas day. When the British (meaning the Americans too) adopted the new Gregrorian Calendar, about 15 days had to be skipped in order to make the earth calendar correspond with the celestial calendar of earth's progression through Fundamentalists of the time disagreed and continued to celebrate the old dates, one of which was the persistance with the old calendar to the date of Christmas, which in the new reckoning fell on the 8th of January. Consequently they celebrated Christmas day on the 8th of January.

Occam's Razor, is not invariably true, (Wikipedia), and sometimes a more complex answer is more accurate and sometimes essentia sunt multiplicanda.

http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=54907
<span>

<span>But more importantly.
<span>

<div>http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=54907#851843
</div>
<div>If you ever want to know something about Traditional music of the British Isles and Quebec, the Maritime Provinces,, Northern Ontario, and the East Coast of the Untied States, from Maine to South Georgia, and particularly Appalachia (Steve Haninger immerse your self it the site, and all that wonderful music and try to be patient

with my irremediable, irreducible, rock ribbed Democratism. I continue to have respect for your equally immovable Republicanism, particularly during the present ker-fuffle.)</div>
Rob

<span>

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> <span>

<span>

- Collapse -
Those old songs...the ones of hard work and hardship

We call them "folk songs" and sometimes consider lovers of such works to be of a particular political stance. Did you ever notice the attitudes of the people in those old songs and compare them to people's attitudes today? I have. FWIW, it seems that singing of hard work and hardship was a matter of love and pride and that the sad ones were less concerned with moaning about one's fate but accepting it. To work and toil to eke out a living was preferable to living on the dole. (example, "Sea coalers" as performed by The Battlefield band). What a difference we have in today's "folk" styles.

CNET Forums