Speakeasy forum

General discussion

I'm finally in the 21st century.

by Richard Jones Forum moderator / June 23, 2004 5:09 PM PDT

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I haven't been posting *anything* for quite a while, but have been super busy - just had time now and then to pop in and see how the asylum is holding up - yeah, I just escaped temporarily, hope someone noticed?

Some of the "ole timers" here may remember wayyy back (like in 1999?) me threatening to upgrade my trusty AmdPR75/Win3.1/Netscape3.08/ which got a screaming upgrade to a Pentium166/Win3.1/etc rig about a year or so later.

Well, I finally bowed down to electronic evolution (uh-oh he used *two* E words!) and built a new rig. Nothing really fancy, but of course in comparison it's so cool I can't look at it without smiling.

And to think I used to preach how over-horsepowered most computers are for most people! That's still my line and I'm sticking to it... but I have seen the light, sorta. And I'm thankful noone here came right out and said "bollocks!". Thank you all again.

Now I just need to save up for the eventual release of Doom3 (or whatever) and see how lame *this* rig will become, shortly! :^)

AMD xp2800/DFI nforce2 400-AL/512meg ram/ATI 9200 128meg/Win 2000/USR 56k(no broadband yet, shucky darn)

How has the forum been? Everyone good and cranky? Happy I must say one reason I went on semi-sabbatical from SE was that the political "heat" seemed rather high, but I suppose it's to be expected with the world "situation" that WE are ALL in Together.(hint hint)

I saw a sig the other day that struck me - "Plan to fail, do not fail to plan" which umm, seemed appropos of um, you know.Insert appropriate emoticon here - rueful grin, maybe?

Rick "Chocobunnies for everyone equals World Peace for about half an hour till the rush wears off, the sugar crash ensues and we all fight over the remaining chocobunny *resources*" Jones

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'm finally in the 21st century.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'm finally in the 21st century.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: I'm finally in the 21st century.
by Cindi Haynes / June 24, 2004 1:15 AM PDT

Congrats Rick!

Can you believe how FAST your new computer is? I was always in awe of you for refusing to have the latest and greatest. Now, I'm glad you're one of us! Wink

SE is the same as always, so wear your protective equipment when you enter. And yes, you were missed!

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
Thx
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / June 24, 2004 3:15 AM PDT

Sorry I missed your post earlier, I'm still a bit dazed from the "2 gigahertz" and all.

I'm a bit wary of stability issues and I've only had it running a couple days, but Win2000 seems solid so far.

Thanks again for the welcome back!

Rick

Collapse -
Re: Thx
by Mark G / June 24, 2004 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Thx

ive been running that amd chip 2800xp, xp pro with lots ram very stable you wont regret it

Collapse -
Hi Mark, good to hear
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / June 24, 2004 3:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Thx

I did quite a bit of research online and off and that was my general take too.

Lots of ram - well, 512 is plenty for me but a gig seems to be the hot setup for gamers as in future proofing a bit. I went single channel only chipset also.

Rick

Collapse -
Re: Hi Mark, good to hear
by Mark G / June 24, 2004 12:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi Mark, good to hear

i play most high end games useing 128 meg ddr vid card with 512 ddr no probs
i had 1 gig in it really didnt see the benifit

Collapse -
Re: Thx -- Welcome Back!
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / June 24, 2004 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Thx

Hi, Rick.

Just out of curiosity, why did you go with ME instead of XP? The latter is much more stable, I hear (I now have XP on both my machines, and have never actually had an ME machine -- jumped direct from Win 98 to XP).

-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / June 24, 2004 3:56 AM PDT

Hi Dave,

I've got Windows 2000 pro as in "NT5"(ish) but with FAT32 file system instead of NTFS. Not Millenium Ed.

It's got a bit more options than XP from what I can see so far, and hopefully will be okay with anything added.(fingers crossed) Happy

Thanks for the welcome! It looks pretty fierce here, but interesting as always... Plain (tongue in cheek ? can't you tell? )

Rick "zoom zoom" Jones

Collapse -
I also went with 2000 based on a friend's recommendation
by xerpor / June 24, 2004 6:20 AM PDT

Have NOT been sorry. I did the updates, at the Windows update site, starting at the bottom and doing 4 or 5 at a time depending on total size. SP4 was the last one I did, which takes a very loooong time, I figured by than most all updates had been added and the risk would be minimal. I choose to archive the files just in case ... Be aware that SP4 with archiving the files puts a TON of junk on you HDD. Once you know everything is working ok you can delete all that stuff

Richard

Collapse -
Re: I also went with 2000 based on a friend's recommendation
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / June 24, 2004 11:46 AM PDT

Hi Richard,

I've yet to do the Sp4 - everything else though. I balked at the time! Thanks for the heads up.

Rick

Collapse -
by Mark G / June 24, 2004 12:37 PM PDT

dave hes running 2000 not me

Collapse -
Re: I'm finally in the 21st century.
by John Robie / June 24, 2004 10:05 PM PDT

Your rig should not be 'lame' for Doom 3 release or even the forthcoming Half-Life. You have enough power (2800), Ram 512MB, and the ATI 9200 video card should be OK. You didn't mention amount of hard drive and if 7200RPM. Some of these games can require more than a gig each. I have over 45 gigs of games on one of my PC's.

Collapse -
Hard drive
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / June 25, 2004 4:53 AM PDT

Hi John,

60gb Hitachi 7200rpm udma100 2mb cache. Which seems like way more than I need - even when I had small hard drives I did not have space problems - couldn't run anything big on Win3.1 ! I don't do mp3's or large images so should be ok with 60gig. for quite some time. The 40gig drives were not much less money than 60-90gigs.

My old system had various hdds from 240mb to 1.339gb. In the future I may find 60gigs is small but I just couldn't see myself EVER using 250. Serial ATA would require a new Mobo or controller card so the only thing I'm looking at is DVDrom. And software. It's nice to know my system will be okay with Doom3, thanks.

Rick

Collapse -
Re: Hard drive
by Mark G / June 25, 2004 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Hard drive

I'm running a 40 7200 and thanks to Blake i partitioned it into 2 twentys 1 is used to download to and the other i run all from so if i have an OPPS i reinstall again thank you Blake for imageing software

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.