Speakeasy forum

General discussion

I'm constantly amazed...

by Pat S / February 24, 2004 6:23 AM PST

at the wealth of knowledge displayed here in Speakeasy. There is virtually no topic of discussion that doesn't garner numerous intelligent and enlightening responses. I particularly enjoy hearing the viewpoints of our off-shore friends. Having traveled most of the US and a little of Canada and Mexico my experiences are colored towards the point of view of this country. It is educational to get a different perspective of things. There is no real point to this post other than to say I'm glad to have stumbled upon this forum. I would ask a question though - have any of the political activists here ever considered running for office? Or are there any elected officials lurking or posting here?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'm constantly amazed...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'm constantly amazed...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
.......considered running..........?.....
by Del McMullen / February 24, 2004 6:48 AM PST

...and not have the keyboard and monitor to hide behind ?

What a freightening thought. Silly

Collapse -
Hi Del
by Pat S / February 24, 2004 6:54 AM PST

Good point. Anonymity has it's benefits. I actually took out papers to run for Governor against Arnold. Mom would have been so proud to tell her friends that her son was a candidate. I decided not to run when Gary Coleman threw his hat in the ring Happy

Collapse -
Re:I'm constantly amazed...
by Angeline Booher / February 24, 2004 7:21 AM PST

Hi, Patrick,

We had a member who joined when he was about 11 years old, and is now in college. (He still stops by every once in a while.)

I think others would agree with me that he would be successful in any field he chose, including politics. In addition to being quite bright, he had the ability to discuss without riling folks.

I don't know of anyone here who is an elected official.

My Dad ran for office twice, but did not win. Thus I have a lot of respect for those who plunge into the fray.

I enjoy reading the editorials in foreign newspapers. You are correct - it is interesting, and enlightening, to see ourselves as others see us.

Glad you enjoy the forum. We are pleased to have you here, as well.

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Yes, I did...
by Bo Boggs / February 24, 2004 7:24 AM PST

I ran for City Council in Plano in 1976. Missed the runoff by 51 votes. Plano at that time had about 70,000 people.

Another candidate and I (Tom Long whose name I have invoked here before. He was best man when Sandra and I got married in '87.) decided that we could have more effect by working on campaigns than by running. Between then and 84, we worked on campaigns for county commissioner, county judge, constable, state representative and state senator. We never participated in a losing campaign. The constable and the state senator we worked for are both still in office.

I have also had several one on one conversations with Sam Johnson, our congressional representative.

Collapse -
(NT) I'd run from public office, not for, shudder, don't know how anyone likes it.
by Roger NC / February 24, 2004 7:44 AM PST

Collapse -
Ah lack to thunk...
by James Denison / February 24, 2004 1:27 PM PST

...we are all too smart for that. Life should be worth living. Wink

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?