PC Hardware forum

General discussion

i'm confused (RAM)

by quarterrican / October 26, 2006 1:11 PM PDT

i have a 3200+ athlon x800 ati;emachines desktop(t6212). stock was 512 ram but i purchased an additional gig. the stock was samsung 256x2, and the aftermarket is 512x2 kingston. but for some reason, only 125 register and i've tried every single combo to see if it has to do with that, but it either goes down to 1.0 gig or back to 1.25. whats wrong? and i'm about to purchase an additional gig in a single stick. will all match up? i know i need ddr sdram. help before i hit this POS

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: i'm confused (RAM)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: i'm confused (RAM)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't know about the newer boards
by william551 / October 26, 2006 4:52 PM PDT
In reply to: i'm confused (RAM)

but the older boards all the sims had to be the same size.

Collapse -
As a general rule
by phantazy / October 26, 2006 6:57 PM PDT

It is better to have matching pairs of RAM, but this depends on the architecture of your board. If dual memory channels are functional etc.; look up carefully the specs of your motherboard, to see what it supports, or go to Crucial on-line scanner, where you type the make and model, and Crucial inform you what choice is available.
phantazy

Collapse -
What system/MB do you have ? Make, series and model #
by VAPCMD / October 27, 2006 11:10 AM PDT
In reply to: i'm confused (RAM)

Do you have onboard video ?

Collapse -
hi
by quarterrican / October 27, 2006 1:37 PM PDT

its an emachines T6212 3200+ amd athlon 64. i think after some looking i need dual channel mem. i dunno...i've been tinkering with x-box 1's the past 3 years and lost touch with my first love, computers. i'm so pissed

Collapse -
My best suggestion is to contact eMachines. The reason..
by VAPCMD / October 28, 2006 1:59 AM PDT
In reply to: hi

I'm certain this issue has surfaced before on this and other eMachines like it and they should have the best insight as to why all of your RAM is not showing.

While the eMachines site didn't indicate Yay or Nay about dual channel architecture (not dual channel RAM) on your eMachine Systen T6212, looking at Crucial.com (link below) indicates your system does support dual channel architecture.

NOTE: I have heard of cases where systems or motherboards do not see all the installed RAM ... specially when ALL DIMM (RAM) slots are populated. and others where users experience a FSB reduction from say 400MHz to 333MHz when going from using 2 DIMM slots to 4 DIMM slots. I avoided that problem by going with 2-1GB DIMMs for a total of 2GB. My system see's all that memory and it runs at the advertised speed.

Whatever you do...make sure the matching DIMMs are placed in the proper motherboard DIMM slots to take advanage of the dual channel architecture. If you don't you'll just be sacrificing performance you paid for. Unless you've got $$ to burn, you might consider sticking with the 2-512MBs for a total of 1GB to make sure the RAM installed is recognized and working at design speed vice being slowed by RAM that the system may or may not being using optimally.

Let us know how you resolve this.

VAPCMD

PS.. The word 'pissed' ain't considered cool in this this forum. Better to find another term .. 'frustrated' would be much better

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=T6212

Q: What memory goes into my computer?

A: DDR memory with support for DDR PC3200 speeds.

Because DDR memory is backward-compatible, you can safely upgrade your system with any of the guaranteed-compatible DDR speeds listed below, even if your manual calls for PC1600 or PC2100 speeds.

Q: How much memory can I have?

A: 4096MB.

Adding the maximum amount of memory will improve performance and help extend the useful life of your system as you run increasingly demanding software applications in the future.

Q: Do I have to install in pairs?

A: Yes.

Your system requires that you install memory in pairs.

Q: Does my computer support dual-channel memory?

A: Yes.

To benefit from the performance advantages offered by dual-channel systems, you should install memory in identical pairs.

Installing a kitted pair is the best way to ensure that your modules are identical, right down to the chip count."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?