TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

I'm confused about HD tv. Need help please.

I've just purchased a LCD HDTV television. The tv has the NTSC/ATSC turner(whatever those are lol). I have Comcast Digital cable. My local stations show some of the programs in HD(local news,"Late Show",reruns of "....Raymond"). My question is this. By having a digital television with the tuners,along with the digital cable,am I watching the local newscast in HD or do I need to subscribe to HD service from cable company?
Also when the digital switch happens will I still need to be connected to a cable/satallite box to watch local programming in digital or is it enough to just have a digital tv? Sorry for the 'silly' questions but I'm just as confused as can be about the HD & digital transition as can be.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'm confused about HD tv. Need help please.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'm confused about HD tv. Need help please.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Anyone?????

In reply to: I'm confused about HD tv. Need help please.

Anyone have an answer or am I 'talking' to myself? Happy

Collapse -
No Antenna, No trouble

In reply to: Anyone?????

Ok, here is the skinny on everything that has got you worried. The ONLY people that this upgrade has anything to do with, are the people that still have roof top antennas. If you are using Cable or Satellite, they are responsible for changing your signal back to analog, the old fashioned stuff. The channels you see "broadcast in HD" only come to you if you provider is sending the signal down the line. If there are not, you don't get the option.
Basically, if you pay for service, don't change a thing.

Collapse -
Thanks but...

In reply to: No Antenna, No trouble

I'm not paying for HD service just digital cable. I see my local news is broadcast in HD. So I ask again,if I have a HDTV with ATSC/NTSC tuner tv(which I do)am I seeing the local news in HD?
Also once the switch is complete (with a digital television) do I need cable/satellite to recieve the digital broadcasts? I ask because I'd like to kick cable to the curb.

Collapse -
But??

In reply to: Thanks but...

OK, once again, if you are paying for it, it depends if they are broadcasting from the cable company in HD. It may come from the local station in HD, but not threw the cable.
If you have an antenna of some sort, you can get them over the air right now in most cities. Go to antennaweb.org to see what channels you can get.

Collapse -
Thank you

In reply to: But??

Thank you. I'll check the site. One more question. When you say antena do you mean rabbit ears or something new? Again sorry to sound so out of the loop but hey... Happy

Collapse -
H.D. service

In reply to: Thanks but...

H.D and Digital are not completely the same thing...rather, H.D. is a component of digital cable. I have Comcast Cable, and subscribe to digital cable >> with the H.D. upgrade << Only a few dollars a month extra BUT what an amazing picture H.D. channels have. For instance local NBC is channel 4 but in H.D. is channel 804. Hitting the "last" button and switching back and forth will show you the amazing difference. If you bought a H.D. television, spring for H.D. service.
Right now there are about 30 H.D. channels (all in the 800's),but Comcast is constantly adding more. Wait till you watch Discovery channel in H D. !!!!

Collapse -
Thanks Jbeck....

In reply to: H.D. service

I'm sort of sick of Comcast and their constant rate hikes. I know it's only $8 more a month but I'm already paying through the nose lol. Is the difference that dramitic?
d.a.grice

Collapse -
You'll notice

In reply to: Thanks Jbeck....

The difference is noticeable. If you don't see it on a normal show, try flipping back and forth during the news. All the local stations have upgraded in studio news cameras to HD. Not necessarily all of the sitcoms have been. If you have it, wait till PBS puts on a nature show. They have been recording in HD for years and it will really show up nice on your tv. I've been using my roof top for years, just because I don't want to pay for anything, and I'm highly impressed. In MN Metro, there are about 16 Channels you can get in digital, not all are HD. Another good site to help understand, http://www.dtvtransition.org/

Collapse -
some good points...

Most cable companies have 2 different versions of their set top cable boxes. One version standard "digital" and one version "HD digital"...
In my setup, I have both, since my bedroom has an older 27" RCA, I got the Sci Atlantic 8200 {regular} box. My living room has 42" Samsung & Sci Atlantic 8200HD box... the difference is the HD box allows you to tune in all the extra HD channels. In my area we have iO {by Cablevision}... All the HD channels are in the 700 range. So for instance CBS2 {NY} comes through as CBS2 on chanel 02 and CSBHD2 on channel 702. Their is no debate, the HD channel is SOO much better looking than the standard channel. It's almost comical how much better it is... My suggestion is that you upgrade to the HD package. You most likely need to swap out your current cable box for a newer one... It is completely worth it.

Collapse -
difference

The difference is AMAZING !! Discovery channel has the best H.D. out there. If I switch from ch. 39 (discovery) to ch. 839 (discovery H.D.),It's like day and night. Very often the same shows are on both so you can go back and forth to see the difference.I just don't see why buy a H.D. tv, and not have h.d. ??? You can get a package deal from comcast for $99 a month (plus extra for H.D. and boxes).If you watch a Red Sox game in H.D.,you will feel like you are there.Not only is the picture off the charts good, the sound is much better too.Try it for a month,you can allways cancel if you don't see a difference.I too was ready to leave Comcast when Fios came to town, but decided to stay with them for a package deal.

Collapse -
Also....

In reply to: difference

Make sure if you switch, that you use H.D. cables to hook up tv.. In my case I use componet cables. Cables DO make a difference. Make comcast give you the cables. You gotta try it!!!! You bought a Jaguar.... now try putting Premium in the tank!!!!

Collapse -
Thanks to you all.

In reply to: Also....

Edison,Jbeck,&Dabonka you all have been so patient and helpful with this 'HD/Digital newbie'. I appreciate your time and the responses.
I'll call the cable company and make the switch(I'm sure they'll be to the three of you lol).
BTW,my set came with an HDMI cable so I'm set as far as cables.
Thank you again Happy
-d.a.grice

Collapse -
Your so funny...

In reply to: I'm confused about HD tv. Need help please.

Your questions aren't dumb, your just trying to be informed that's all. But you are really funny, the way you ask...lol...Good luck...

Collapse -
Thank you very much and.......

In reply to: Your so funny...

I'm glad I could provide a little amusment to boot:)

Collapse -
so......

In reply to: Thank you very much and.......

so.... did you get your H.D. hookup,,, and how do you like it... Just curious..

Collapse -
Well jbeck....

In reply to: so......

...Murphy's Law being what it is, just before Comacast was scheduled to come out I noticed a tiny white spot on my LCD screen Sad . I kept telling myself that it was a water spot or dust behind the screen(Don't they call that denial Wink ). After investigating,and asking questions here,I found out it was a dead pixel. I had to send the television back to the manufacturer. I'm now awaiting the replacement. Until then I'm back to my clunky old Sanyo CRT.
-d.a.grice

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.