Laptops forum

General discussion

I'm CLUELESS _ Athlon 64 or Pentium M ?? HELP !

I have never owned a computer, so I want to get one customized so I don't have to change anything soon. I am deciding between these two:HP zt3000 Pentium M 725 1.6ghz2mb cache60gb 5400 h/d512mb memoryHP zv5000z Athlon 64 3400 2.2ghz1mb cache60gb 4200 h/d512 mb memoryI do not game, I do not need sound to be great, and I will probably not view movies on it.I need to know which system would be best for regular light home office work, and internet use. I need something reliable that wil not be outdated too soon. Any input would help me a lot. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'm CLUELESS _ Athlon 64 or Pentium M ?? HELP !
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'm CLUELESS _ Athlon 64 or Pentium M ?? HELP !
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: I'm CLUELESS _ Athlon 64 or Pentium M ?? HELP !

In reply to: I'm CLUELESS _ Athlon 64 or Pentium M ?? HELP !

While I've owned a few machines and even some before the PC, my view is that I'd go with the 64-bit capable machine since my laptops tend to last a long time.

But don't expect the 32-bit only offerings to suddenly fall off the face of the Earth anytime soon. They will be very useful for most people.

I'd not overspend such as go in the 2000 buck range.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: I'm CLUELESS _ Athlon 64 or Pentium M ?? HELP !

Thank you, Bob.What I really need to know is which will be faster. I have read that the Athlon 3400 is about equal to a pentium-4 3.4, and that the Pentium-M 1.6 is about equal to the Pentium-4M 2.4, but no direct comparison (pentium-4 is not the pentium-4m). How does the Pentium-M 1.6 rate to a Pentium-4 ??Also, how will the difference in h/d revolutions (4200 vs 5400) and cache size (1MB vs 2MB) affect performance ?Thanks again for your help...

Collapse -

5400 RPM drives outrun 4200 RPM. And more L1 cache can help too. But in the end, only a benchmark can tell which is faster at the moment. But such benchmarks may not reveal which may fill your needs.

Bob

Collapse -

Karolee:

If you are going to be using wi-fi (wireless internet) unplugged a lot you will benefit from the HPZT3000 (or sister Compaq X1000) -- see dedicated forum X1000forums.com -- as you will get 3.5 - 4 hours battery life using wi-fi or longer not using it (4-5 hours).

Also, the keyboard on the ZT3000/X1000 is better than the one on the HP Athlon unit. They both have a similar LCD panel but the Athlon machine is somewhat thicker and heavier as the Pentium M cpu is cooler than the Athlon cpu.

And, the touchpad on the Athlon notebook is not centered under the spacebar as it is on the HPZT3000/Compaq X1000. If you use an external mouse this is not a big deal but if you use the touchpad then you should check out this issue.

64bit machines for most people will make a big difference when Microsoft Longhorn (follow up to XP) is released in late 2006 or beyond. There are some Windows XP SP2 security enhancements for 64bit and some other programs but for most people it is not significant right now.

I have a Compaq X1360US and it weighs 6.5 pounds with the 15.4" widescreen so it is still light enough to carry in a student backpack, is excellent with the widescreen DVD's etc --but you will also get that on the Athlon if it has a 15.4" widescreen.

Note: there is a $100 custom order HP or Compaq rebate good through 9/1/04 (and 1 that supposedly goes later) and you can get a 6% APP student discount if ordering custom at HPshopping.com

For details see X1000forums.com -- the discounts would apply to either notebook if custom ordered.

Note: get at least a 725 Pentium 1.6 Dothan Pentium M if ordering the HPZT3000/Compaq X1000 as that has the 2mb L2 system cache (older ones only have 1mb).

If ordering custom you should get 64mb dedicated video (can't upgrade later) for only $50 more than 32mb. And, the hard drive upgrade to 5400 rpm will make a larger difference than a processor only a bit faster.

Also, if custom ordering you can order 256mb RAM only and then get Crucial, Kingston, PNY, etc memory 512mb RAM yourself for under $100 and have a total of 256 + 512 = 768mb for much less than you will pay for 512mb from the manufacturer.

Many students with the 6% student and $100 custom order rebate have been getting great notebooks under $1500 and even down close to $1000 in some cases.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.