Speakeasy forum

General discussion

I'm betting Letterman will have something to say about this

by JP Bill / February 23, 2007 3:19 AM PST

but he'll probably remark on how large the rats are getting..

Beaver is spotted in New York City for the first time in 2 centuries

NEW YORK (AP) - Beavers grace New York City's official seal. But the industrious rodents haven't been spotted there for perhaps 200 years - until this week.

Biologists videotaped a beaver swimming up the Bronx River on Wednesday. Its twig-and-mud lodge had been spotted earlier on the river bank, but the tape confirmed the presence of the animal.

"It had to happen because beaver populations are expanding, and their habitats are shrinking," said Dietland Muller-Schwarze, a beaver expert at the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry in Syracuse. "We're probably going to see more of them."

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'm betting Letterman will have something to say about this
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'm betting Letterman will have something to say about this
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Noticed
by Willy / February 23, 2007 4:04 AM PST

I've noticed recently, more ground hogs, coyetes, eagles, hawks, and turkey buzzards really getting more in my area. Sometimes they surprise me and my cat(hehehe!) plus, if I'm lucky return later, good or bad.

As for beaver haven't seen one ever in our area, but I have seen muskrats big time and some trappers get them within the city limits. Of course, farm land is very close in our neck of the woods or city landscape.

adios -----Willy

Collapse -
I think that has become even more common...
by Angeline Booher / February 23, 2007 7:03 AM PST
In reply to: Noticed

.... for the native animals to seek new habitat as their natural one is taken over by development.

Do you recall about my having a skunk family in my basement several years ago?

Deer have been spotted a couple of times on my street. They are often car fodder on the interstates. In the past few years the law was changed to allow people to take home the road kill for food.

The onlynative animal that is no longer around are chipmunks. The increasing number of cats, y'know.

This week our water birds returned. It was nice to see them again.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
LOOKOUT...
by Willy / February 24, 2007 1:44 AM PST

Here in Ohio, call the HP or Game Warden and you're able to take home a deer road kill and sometimes that's the only good thing if your truck/car is smashed after telling where deer was killed.

Two years ago, a snapping turtle wandered into the frt. roadway, I got my rake and pushed it back into the ditch. It was pissed, but I though it would have made it across the 4-lane highway. As for shunks, when a roadkill is out frt. dang, if I don't have to close the windows for about a week or more. Happy -----Willy

Collapse -
He let me down
by JP Bill / March 2, 2007 12:45 PM PST

He mentioned the beavers and linked them to Clinton slapping on cologne, Cheney going hunting and Trumps hair.

No connection between beavers and large rats.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?