HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

I'm a 64bit newbie afraid I made a mistake, can you help?

by Bulletabn / September 4, 2008 3:59 AM PDT

Hi, I just got a brand new computer with windows vista 64 bit edition. I got the fastest, smartest, spooiest computer I could afford and it's got so many bells and wistles! It's also got windows vista 64 bit. I got it because I could pile in more ram, run more programs at once, etc, etc. Now, I have no idea what I can really do with it and what I can't. I HAVE found out that some programs that I used to use on my 32 bit edition don't work anymore on my new caddilac of a laptop. Now I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake. Could someone MUCH smarter than me please tell me I didn't just buy a very expensive internet browsing word processor? Is there a place on the web that has programs specifically compatible with vista 64?

Respectfully, Ron Underwood

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'm a 64bit newbie afraid I made a mistake, can you help?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'm a 64bit newbie afraid I made a mistake, can you help?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There is no such place.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2008 4:02 AM PDT

But if you ask about "Smart TrashCan Passport Version 10" then others could comment on whether it runs or not. I do know some will note "supported" or "not supported" vs. "runs" or "doesn't run". The difference to me is minor but to my pocketbook it could cost me dearly.

In short, research with google, name names and ask around.
Bob

Collapse -
if your apps are already loaded on another pc
by ramarc / September 4, 2008 9:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
64bit issues
by jestferfun / September 5, 2008 3:21 PM PDT

Can you be more specific as to what programs don't run. Maybe I can get you to where they have patches/ fixes.

Jestferfun

Collapse -
64-bit newbie too
by kenebaugh / September 5, 2008 3:31 PM PDT

I have also recently swiched from XP-Pro 32-bit to Vista Ultimate 64-bit. The change for me seems much smoother, so far, than the change from Win 98 to XP-Pro. It ain't perfect, but so far, everything I was running on XP runs on Vista-64.

MS and program vendors still have work to do. Google will not remember your preference settings, Adobe reader gets confused, the venerable Winzip cannot remember that you hate to see the quick-pick in the system tray; and MS's own IE8, running in IE7 emulation, has trouble opening many web-sites, forcing you to stop/start the URL request.

Don't even try to examine an eBay feedback record in native IE8 mode. The record summary will display, but the individual item-entries will only display for a nano-second. There are certain applications [DVD Pro] that require you to launch with a right-click, then choose "Run as Administrator" from the drop-down list - if you want to write to the root of C:\ [to create/update the database backup file].

With 4GB of fast DDR2 and a dual, triple or quad core CPU of your choice, Vista flys! Photoshop type applications run much faster and you can handle larger file sizes because of having more memory and better utilization thereof. You can better handle large file transfers, to file or disc.

Media Center is built-in to Vista Ultimate and I have had no problems using MS-Media Player to play DVD's or CD's. Media Player and Windows explorer both handle burning CD's and DVD's without needing external programs. I have ROXIO 9.2 loaded, but have not needed to use it.

You never have to shutdown now, unless you just upgraded a program that needs to restart in order to register components. The Suspend-to-RAM is much better integrated than the HIBERNATE function of XP. Ten seconds to Suspend, and another ten to wake-up. With your laptop, save everything first in case of a power outage. You can conveniently set your scanning software to run scans while you sleep, then you perform the clean-up when you awaken the PC the next day.

Finally, you will be learning new skills associated with using/mastering the latest and greatest from MS. [Linux & Mac, this is a MS forum question.] Skills that will be very useful in your workplace.

Good Luck and enjoy yourself.

Collapse -
Vista 64bit & Virtual PC
by xtekm / September 5, 2008 6:21 PM PDT
In reply to: 64-bit newbie too

For apps that don't work, Why not try MS's free to download Virtual PC?

I'm using similar software, a paid-for VMWare workstation for an Epson Print to CD program that doesn't work on Vista x64 but works on XP Pro, since I've already paid for an XP Pro license, might as well make use of it still...

Also handy when troubleshooting for friends - as I no longer have an XP desktop, was difficult to describe/guide them, now it's fine.

Virtualisation seems to work well on Quad core, Vista x64 with 4Gb mem...

Collapse -
64 Bit - Photoshop CS and higher
by bahlgren / September 6, 2008 4:05 AM PDT
In reply to: 64-bit newbie too

I also am the owner of a nice new and fast Vista 64 bit computer.

What I am particually addressing is Photoshop CS.

I run Photoshop CS on Win XP Pro and was worried about getting it up and running on my new computer and also upgrading to CS-3 in the process. I called Adobe directly and was told, "That Photoshop CS, any current version, will not run properly on a 64 Bit processor!" I was told that some items may work but that PS CS was not yet set up ro run correctly on 64 Bit computers.

I asked when a version of PS CS for 64 Bit might be available. I was told by Adobe that they had no date for the 64 Bit version to be available and the it could be a year or more.

Now I have heard that a very few people are running PS-CS on their 64 Bit computers but wonder if they are using all of the abilities of PS and if many of the features flatly just won't run on a 64 Bit machine.

I believe the best source of independant information might be gained by being in contact with NAPP, (National Association of Photoshop Professionals). Their WEB site is www.photoshopuser.com and the in many cases they can give you information that is not ready for release by Adobe.

NAPP is one great organization and worth every penny you might spend to join their site and receive their publication.

I have been a member for years and for my money it is the very best place to learn and benifit from their extensive knowledge.

If anyone has feedback on the 64 Bit Photoshop dilemna please post a reply and share your valuable knowledge with those of us that are in the same boat.

Bill

Collapse -
CS3 on 64 bit Vista
by Jelly Baby / September 6, 2008 8:29 AM PDT

CS3 runs perfectly on 64 bit VIsta. Because it's a 32 bit application it will have the usual 32 bit limits and problems addressing large amounts of RAM so there's no real gain as far as openining large files goes - but it will run with other applications open much better than on a standard 32 bit OS.

Lightroom installs a 64 bit version under Vista 64 and Adobe have just anounced the CS4 launch date with Photoshop having a "Vista only" (ie - no mac support) 64 bit version.

Collapse -
More specific info on installing/using Adobe CS on a 64 bit
by dmtazman / September 10, 2009 1:45 PM PDT
In reply to: CS3 on 64 bit Vista

OK people, please elborate...

I just bought a laptop with the AMD Athlon-X2 (64 bit) prosessor. I can install Adobe CS3 (after I upgraded to Vista Service PackII and independentaly installed Adobe Acrobat 8.1+). I can see all the individual programs (Illustrator, Photoshop, In Design, Dream Weaver, Flash). However when I click on them to open from either the quick launch or the "all programs" area, None open except Photoshop, which opens but then goes into "not responding" mode as soon as you try to do anything. I NEED these programs for my work. What can I do while I wait for Windows 7 to get here (I get a free upgrade to Windows 7, as I bought my computer last week, itterally. Actually does Windows 7 address this issue or create it's own problems?

Is there anybody who could let me know what I can do (reasonably) to run these programs? I already gave away my other laptop (it is about 7 hours from me), so that is not an option to use it.

TIA if anyone can help.

Respectfully,

Dmtazman

Collapse -
Your post seems buried in an older discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2009 10:22 PM PDT

Try to make new discussions if you want the most replies.

Here my thoughts are:
a) Turn off UAC.
b) Run as Administrator.
c) Check into the compatibility mode options.

Sorry but each item can be researched by you so if you ask what is UAC this means that you may need tech support and not a discussion forum. Treat these forums like people that stopped to help you change a tire. Pitch in.
Bob

Collapse -
Try dual OS setup
by GENE8 / September 6, 2008 3:35 AM PDT

You did not make a mistake by getting a 64-bit machine.With a 64-bit machine you are set for the future. However, if you still feel more comfortable with a 32-bit OS and still want to use all of your applications without any problems, then I would suggest that you do this: Try purchasing a 32-bit OS (I would prefer Windows XP Pro) and then install it on another hard drive (if you have one). You then set your machine up for dual-boot (this will be done automatically by Windows anyway). You can then move all of your 32-bit applications to the 32-bit OS and boot into that OS when you want to work with your 32-bit programs. If you want to use a 64-bit program, you simply boot into the 64-bit OS and install that program there. When your 32-bit programs are updated to 64-bit in the future, you can then download the updated versions onto the 64-bit OS and delete the 32-bit versions you have stored in the 32-bit OS, since you won't need them anymore. With this kind of setup, you get the best of both worlds. Your machine will be ready for the future but you will still be able to work with the same 32-bit programs without a problem.

Collapse -
That's an awful lot of work
by Jimmy Greystone / September 6, 2008 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Try dual OS setup

That's an awful lot of work and hassle to go to in the day and age of virtualization. I can go out, buy a copy of VMWare, and just run a 32-bit OS in a window on my 64-bit OS. No need to deal with the whole reboot hassle, not to mention just the hassle of setting up a dual boot. There might be a small performance hit, but it should be pretty minimal since you aren't doing CPU instruction translation or anything like that.

You get virtually all the benefits of dual booting, plus the added bonus of not having to reboot or configure a bootloader, for the cost of the software (and some are even free) and a small performance hit.

Collapse -
A 64 bit Mistake?
by JCipo / September 6, 2008 8:40 AM PDT

Be thankful that technology keeps on improving. We just have to learn to adjust. I should talk, I still use some programs from the 1980's. Guess what, with the right knowledge or a smart friend, all my old software still works on Vista. I just heard that at this time, Iphone users may have trouble with 64 bit nonMac computers. Oh, in a few years software producers will really take advantage of the 64 bit OS.

John Cip

Collapse -
Is this how the technology works or not.
by South5 / September 6, 2008 11:51 AM PDT
In reply to: A 64 bit Mistake?

I understand that the 32 bite CPU & buses have 32 lanes to let all the information down their information highways, so if a 64 bite lanes, to let 32 lanes of bites down it's highway, should this not double the speed that this inforamation in bite form goes , down the buses,& throught the CPU, at a much faster pace. So why are legacy programs hanging up,? if there is twice as many pathes for the bites to go thought now.Or is this a too simplistic answer to the problem?

Collapse -
Nope
by Jimmy Greystone / September 6, 2008 2:43 PM PDT

Nope, that's not quite how things work. Also it's just "bit" not "bite". You might be confused with "byte" which is similar to bits, but kind of the next notch up.

But simply doubling the number of bits does NOT directly equate into double the amount of information being processed, and thus double the performance.

The full answer is a long and complicated one that gets into a lot of computer engineering and computer science theory, so I'm going to decline to get into it here and leave you to research it on your own if so inclined. The short version is: Things don't quite work the way you describe.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.