General discussion

I loved this RNC speech

It gives me hope more black people will wise up on Obama. I have less hope for many white Liberals.

Great Speech by former Obama supporter.

"we should have known that night
in Denver that things that begin with styrofoam Greek columns and
artificial smoke typically don't end well." He continued: "Maybe the
Hollywood stars and the glamor blinded us a little: You thought it was
the glare, some of us thought it was a halo."
Davis switched parties after
failing to get the Democratic nomination for governor of Alabama—a
defeat some analysts blamed on his effort to tack to the center, notably
his decision to vote against Obamacare, a repudiation of Obama thought
to have cost him dearly among core Democrats. Now on the other side,
Davis reached out to voters who backed the president's historic 2008 run
but are having second thoughts.
"Do you know why so many of us believed? We led with our hearts and
our dreams that we could be more inclusive than America had ever been,
and no candidate had ever spoken so beautifully," he said.
"But dreams meet daybreak: The
jobless know what I mean, so do the families who wonder how this
administration could wreck a recovery for three years and counting," he
said. "So many of those high-flown words have faded."
Now, said Davis, "we have a country to turn around."

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: I loved this RNC speech
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: I loved this RNC speech
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
RE; more black people will wise up

it appears they already did wise up.

Ex-Democrat Artur Davis

In attempting to appeal to a broader electorate, he lost the support of black voters by opposing national health care reform and failing to meet with certain black political groups.[1] He ran in the 2010 Democratic Gubernatorial Primary, but lost by a large margin to Ron Sparks, a more liberal Democrat.[2] Shortly after, Davis announced he would be not be seeking another term in Congress, but would instead be returning to the practice of law. In May 2012, he confirmed that he was considering running for Congress as a Republican

Sounds like his "base or those that should be his base" are ready to follow him. NOT!!!!

- Collapse -
It reads like a good speech, but Black Republlicans are old

news, and if Alan Whatshisname and Michael Steele cut no ice with Black voters, and they don't, then this guy won't either. Have you ever heard the term Oreo?

Blacks are outnumbered by Hispanics in the US now, and Sheriff Joe "Bull Connors" Arpaio and Governor Jan "the Wicked Witch of the West" Brewer, and all the geriatrics in Sun City have driven them straight to Obama. Even if Arpaio stakes out the polls and arrests Latino voters, the way his Deputies have been arresting Latino drivers, he's a net drain for the Republicans in 49 other states, well, make that 48, I'm sure Alaska will be it's usual cranky frontier self.

And how many Hispanics are there in Florida? and New Mexico, and California, and apparently Iowa, and another northern state which I've forgotten. I heard a discussion on Charlie Rose about this very thing, and the consensus was that Obama can win without Florida and Ohio if he can pull those other states, but I'd say that Florida is a wobbly Romney state.

There's an interview with Arpaio in Rolling Stone Magazine in which he is entirely himself, secure in the knowledge that the white geriatric population of Maricopa County will elect him until he croaks (he's 80). He took the interviewer out to the Tent Prison he's had for 8 or more years, and proudly showed the interviewer the thermometer which read 128 degrees under the canvas, i.e. in the shade. If that isn't good for a lawsuit for cruel and unusual punishment, then the US justice system is a joke.

Rob

Rob

- Collapse -
Did you just call....

....a black man an "Oreo"? Sure sounds like it Ziks. Actually you just used the pejorative term in description of several black men. I've always said Liberals are the worst racist. When one of "their" blacks don't toe the party line, out comes the name calling.

- Collapse -
I don't know how you could write some of this

without knowing how many people could be offended by your references and then turn around to complain about others people's words being offensive. More-so, I would hope that the voting public would be able to notice when their favored candidate is also largely supported by persons of hate and intolerance and will decide that it's better to not line up with them.

- Collapse -
When my troubles get me down,

I just remember there's a Mr. Pelosi out there and I feel better.

There's a woman who's had so many face lifts,she shaves her goatee ever morning Grin

- Collapse -
I wonder if her plastic surgeon....

.....is next door to Boehner's tanning salon?

Wink

- Collapse -
Would that be salon or saloon???

remember,Boehner's family owns a bar Wink

- Collapse -
Maybe that's why he cries at the drop of a hat

A little taste before he starts the day?

- Collapse -
effort to tack to center,

no wonder he lost, both parties are becoming run by idealogues.

Anyone trying to balence anything is anathema to both sides, indeed reasonable negotiation is sacrareligious to each party's "base".

CNET Forums